The Student Room Group

I'm at parties about Margaret Thatcher's death

Scroll to see replies

The British left are doing their best to make a good impression, as per usual. Smashing shop windows, setting their streets on fire, attacking the police and making foul and offensive banners.

What a fantastic impression the British left is making to the rest of the world.

There can be no doubt that for intelligence, tact and civility, Britain is where it's at.
Reply 181
Original post by chrissie19913
Well she didnt always have British interests in her doings did she.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Getting an EU rebate certainly was!

But the treasonous Blair signed 20% of it away!
Original post by ajh1990
It's with things like this that the Left really don't do themselves any favours. What on earth is a party going to achieve? There'll likely be violence, and that will be the headline. If they want to discuss and debate whether Thatcher was right then fine do it. But having parties, picketing her funeral, protests etc all it has done previously, and will in the future, is to show the Left, in the public's eye, as violent and sick thugs who are taking advantage of the death of an old woman. All these parties etc are doing is helping the right score easy political points!

These actions don't represent the whole of the left, any more than EDL represent the whole of the right.
Reply 183
Well she didnt always have British interests in her doings did she.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think she did, but we will agree to disgaree.
She wasn't perfect, but who is? I am in awe her. She is the reason why I am into politics.
Reply 184
Original post by danny111
Actually one could quite easily perform a structural break test for when she got into power and left power and if both are significant, the causal link is pretty clear. Unless you give me something that happened at both those times and could plausibly affect suicide rates. But I doubt that.

If the authors of the study did it properly, then the link is there.

No, your point is not valid. At all.

Unless you interviewed all the people who committed suicide during that period and they all told you it was a result of Thatcher then you cannot provide a causal link at all.
Stop clutching at straws. This is the most ridiculous reason for hating her I've heard yet...
Reply 185
Original post by Fullofsurprises
These actions don't represent the whole of the left, any more than EDL represent the whole of the right.

Finally you stop trying to portray the right as bad - though only when it suits you lol!
Original post by meenu89
She wasn't perfect, but who is? I am in awe her. She is the reason why I am into politics.

Well now there's me thinking jeez I must give him some respect he has good old Boris as his profile picture lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thatcher represented the last of the patriotic British right.

Cameron represents a new era of unpatriotic, globalist, "free market", neo-liberal capitalists who don't give a **** about anyone or anything but making money.
Reply 188
Original post by meenu89

She inspired your beloved Boris too!
Reply 189
Well now there's me thinking jeez I must give him some respect he has good old Boris as his profile picture lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am not a 'he'.
Reply 190
Original post by TobaccoSmoke
Thatcher represented the last of the patriotic British right.

Cameron represents a new era of unpatriotic, globalist, "free market", neo-liberal capitalists who don't give a **** about anyone or anything but making money.

Nigel Farage and UKIP?

David Davis? IDS? Hague?
Reply 191
I didn't use offensive language and how is it offensive to suggest that she shouldn't get a state funeral when it now has come out that she herself did not want one??

Hmmm

Well I assumed that could be why you have 2 warning points lol!
Original post by a729
She was a brilliant woman- arguably her simply becoming the most powerful woman in the world meant she more than did her bit for 'feminism'.

‘The feminists hate me, don’t they? And I don’t blame them. For I hate feminism. It is poison.’
Original post by a729
Finally you stop trying to portray the right as bad - though only when it suits you lol!

You haven't been studying me carefully enough. I am scornful of the incoherent, floppy, racist, extreme libertarian and downright greedy parts of the right only motivated by shallow self-interest. I am always willing to listen to those who have command of their subject and can formulate an argument worth considering and who visibly mean well.

Thatcher was interesting because she appeared to have quite a lot of the latter in her whilst covertly she sometimes favoured parts of the former. By their actions shall ye know them.
Reply 194
Original post by ed-
Unless you interviewed all the people who committed suicide during that period and they all told you it was a result of Thatcher then you cannot provide a causal link at all.
Stop clutching at straws. This is the most ridiculous reason for hating her I've heard yet...

1. I am not the guy you originally quoted. Quite sad you did not realize this.

2. You told him the part in bold already.

3. This is not clutching at straws. It's a pathetic line trying to undermine someone's argument without having one yourself. Do everyone a favour at stop using it so much.

4. I do not hate her. In fact I think she did a wonderful job with inflation. How you can even think that I hate her from my only post in this thread above is beyond me. I talked literally not at all about Thatcher in that post.

5. You are wrong, I suggest you go read a statistics/econometrics textbook.
Reply 195
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
‘The feminists hate me, don’t they? And I don’t blame them. For I hate feminism. It is poison.’

In some cases she was right

Some feminists want female superiority/male inferiority rather than equality
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 196
Original post by popnit
That's sick. Having a party celebrating someone's death is just not right no matter who they are.

So you would not celebrate the death of Hitler and the ending of World War 2 in Europe?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 197
1. I am not the guy you originally quoted. Quite sad you did not realize this.

2. You told him the part in bold already.

3. This is not clutching at straws. It's a pathetic line trying to undermine someone's argument without having one yourself. Do everyone a favour at stop using it so much.

4. I do not hate her. In fact I think she did a wonderful job with inflation. How you can even think that I hate her from my only post in this thread above is beyond me. I talked literally not at all about Thatcher in that post.

5. You are wrong, I suggest you go read a statistics/econometrics textbook.

I know you're not. But you're clearly doing the same so why can't I say it twice?
The fact is there's no proof that she caused an increase in suicides.
There are even PMs who have higher suicide rates so I don't see how this can be used as a point against her.

I inferred that you hate her from the fact you're arguing a ridiculously petit point against her legacy. That generally would mean you don't like someone. Or is this some strange tribute that I'm missing :rolleyes:

Inflation did surge up several times during her adminstrations - it didn't achieve a long term lowering until around 1994-96 and plenty of people give more plaudits to Ken Clarke's chancellorship under Major than to Thatcher's chancellors.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2009/mar/09/inflation-economics

But that's what it will look like, and be portrayed as, so it doesn't achieve anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending