The Student Room Group

Does anyone really like Shakespeare? And if so, which is your favourite?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I don't know that many of his plays, but I'm a sucker for Much Ado About Nothing :colondollar:
Only studied Romeo & Juliet and King Lear in detail but I'm also a fan of As You Like It which I have seen at the theatre.
I did Romeo and Juliet when I was little and that put me off it for years, I might like it if I saw it done properly. I love love love love love love Much Ado About Nothing, it's my favourite play ever. And Henry IV Part I and II and Henry V, they're amazing :love: Especially when he proposes to Katherine, it's such a cute and funny little scene. I like Midsummer Night's Dream as well, I did that once, although I don't like it as much as Much Ado. I like Taming of the Shrew although I still can't see how people think he's not sexist. :lol: I've got a Shakespeare List of all the ones I still need to see/read, there's a lot left on it.

Edit: Watched Hamlet the other day. LOVE IT. I just want to give him a hug. Also, this scene is genius.

"Methinks it is like a weasel!" Hamlet you crack me up. :lol:
(edited 11 years ago)
As I'm Polish, my favourite is Hamlet, involving me invading the Danes :captain:*

*through the frozen Baltic sea:horse:
Reply 44
I don't know much of his work but I LOVE Othello simply because Iago is amazing! :biggrin: 'i am not what I am' and 'love... it is merely a lust of the blood and a permission of the will' = genius.
Reply 45
My experience of his work is embarrassingly thin for a prospective Oxford English student, but Henry V is definitely my favourite. Inspirational!
Reply 46
Original post by kittyb99
You seem rather persistent on marriage! :tongue:

Oh dear, have I proposed before? Awkward..
Reply 47
Original post by Schichtoe
Oh dear, have I proposed before? Awkward..

Thrice! Here, for treacle biscuits, and when you thought I was a wealthy heiress :tongue:
Reply 48
Original post by kittyb99
Thrice! Here, for treacle biscuits, and when you thought I was a wealthy heiress :tongue:

Ah yeah, I remember now. Why haven't you said yes yet?! :frown:
Reply 49
Original post by Schichtoe
Ah yeah, I remember now. Why haven't you said yes yet?! :frown:

Already spoken for :tongue:
Reply 50
:yep:
Reply 51
Henry V in particular - mainly because I'm a history nerd and it was the first I ever fully read.

I really like Shakespeare, I had to discover him independently from school to really appreciate his plays and poetry though :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by deathhead
I used to hate him but that was just out of pre-conceived ignorance. Now I love Shakespeare. He is virtually unparalleled in what he writes, the complexity of his language and the depth of the themes he plays upon are incredible. My favourite is definitely Othello after studying it for A-Level last year. Shakespeare is daunting for everybody at first, mainly because of the language but it is brilliant when you manage to get past that. My mind was so opened to him by the time of my exam almost a year ago that it strikes me that though written so long ago, many traits of human emotion are still powerfully represented through his characters that his plays are so relevant today. Give it a chance mate.

^God I really sound like I'm bumming him there haha

Aw, you just made my night a million times better by saying they you sound like you're "bumming him".
Here is a secret: Everyone, including yourself, keeps mentioning Othello and I've never read it
Reply 53
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
I did Romeo and Juliet when I was little and that put me off it for years, I might like it if I saw it done properly. I love love love love love love Much Ado About Nothing, it's my favourite play ever. And Henry IV Part I and II and Henry V, they're amazing :love: Especially when he proposes to Katherine, it's such a cute and funny little scene. I like Midsummer Night's Dream as well, I did that once, although I don't like it as much as Much Ado. I like Taming of the Shrew although I still can't see how people think he's not sexist. :lol: I've got a Shakespeare List of all the ones I still need to see/read, there's a lot left on it.

Lord, I had to do my coursework about whether or not Katherina was a shrew and, if so, did she get what she deserved. Basically a massive essay on whether or not the play was sexist, in what sense and how that effected the characters and I wanted to die by the end of it. I must admit though, although it does hold some sexist language, it was due to the time and I believe that Katherina was playing Petruchio's game by the end of the play and that she wasn't tamed after all. Then again, I also believe that Bianca was the shrew and therefore my opinions may not count...
Reply 54
My favourite well known Shakespeare piece is sonnet 130, which I think perfectly captures real romance at its best. It's so real in terms of how relationships work. Plus I'm a sucker for.anything that goes against Petrarchian ideals!

My favourite play would have to be The Tempest, though I do also love Much Ado.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Tempest is my particular favourite, so naturally I was delighted when the Olympic Organising Committee (or whoever was responsible) decided to insert the 'Be not afeard' section at the start of the opening ceremony. 'As you from crimes would pardoned be/Let your indulgence set me free' is also one of my favourite endings to any text.
Original post by Kgooding
Aw, you just made my night a million times better by saying they you sound like you're "bumming him".
Here is a secret: Everyone, including yourself, keeps mentioning Othello and I've never read it

Haha I re-read what I said and realised I was being a tad overly nice about him. But yeah I would highly recommend it - for me it's like the go to place for exploring jealousy, feelings of being an outsider and unexplained malevolence, the characters are damn interesting. It's weird I love literature so much and I'm a computer science student...
Lord, I had to do my coursework about whether or not Katherina was a shrew and, if so, did she get what she deserved. Basically a massive essay on whether or not the play was sexist, in what sense and how that effected the characters and I wanted to die by the end of it. I must admit though, although it does hold some sexist language, it was due to the time and I believe that Katherina was playing Petruchio's game by the end of the play and that she wasn't tamed after all. Then again, I also believe that Bianca was the shrew and therefore my opinions may not count...

I'm trying really hard to convince myself it's not sexist, and I do see what you mean about Bianca, I never liked her, she's clearly a very manipulative little character and I always figured that Katherina's anger at the beginning of the play was because nobody realises that her sister isn't as sweet and innocent as everyone supposes, and she's annoyed that everyone falls for her act.
Reply 58
So, as the title says, do you like Shakespeare? And if so, what do you like? His sonnets, his plays, what?

Titus Andronicus, because it's so gory and grotesque, and the language is so weirdly artificial. The one I can't stand is Merchant of Venice because all of the characters are so slap-worthy.
Original post by Felix1944
I agree; some of Marlowe is grand. 'Tamburlaine' II.7.12-29 is a good example. ('Nature that framed us of four elements' etc.) The thought lurking at the back of my mind was that I could never imagine him writing something like 'I know a bank where the wild thyme blows / Where oxslips and the nodding violet grows'.

Interestingly, Tamburlaine is the play that may not actually be by Marlowe. It wasn't attributed to him until the 19th century (by someone with a bit of a history of making dodgy attributions and falsifying documents in order to support his points). It could still be by him, of course, but it's hard to be certain either way. Authorship attribution's quite a fascinating subject, but even with the use of computers - and they've been put to this sort of use since the 1960s! - we're still a way off being able to determine actual stylistic 'fingerprints' for individual authors.

[Sorry about the boring digression; I just happen to have done a bit of reading on that subject]:redface:
Henry IV Part 1 and Henry V are my absolute favourites, with Macbeth following. I love the humour in the Henry plays, and the transformation Hal goes through in becoming king. They are just beautifully written plays.

And there are a fair few sonnets which I adore too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending