The Student Room Group

Guys: How would you react? / What would you think?

Basically I'm in a new relationship (about 3 months) and I can feel some cracks appearing about my 'constant' mentioning of calories.
I don't really know what to do about it, it's not something that I talk about on purpose, I've had an eating disorder for 5 years, and I'm just starting to get help.

I am asking you, how would you react to finding out you had a bulimic girlfriend? Or would you rather not know?
mmm I don't know, that's tough. wouldn't it be obvious anyway?
Reply 2
if your talking about calories so much is annoying him you probably should tell him. He will hopefully understand more and if you don't he might end up saying something that triggers you going backwards instead of forwards. No matter how he reacts its more important that you get better and I wouldn't want to risk him accidentily ruining that.
Reply 3
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
mmm I don't know, that's tough. wouldn't it be obvious anyway?

No, you'd be surprised at how easy it is to hide!! I live in a tiny 3 bed house with my family of 5 and none of them knew until 5 years in... So I doubt he does.
Reply 4
doubt you should hide it, he would only feel bad that you didnt tell him when he finds out later on.
Original post by Anonymous
Basically I'm in a new relationship (about 3 months) and I can feel some cracks appearing about my 'constant' mentioning of calories.
I don't really know what to do about it, it's not something that I talk about on purpose, I've had an eating disorder for 5 years, and I'm just starting to get help.

I am asking you, how would you react to finding out you had a bulimic girlfriend? Or would you rather not know?

I'd rather know than wonder why you're constantly mentioning calories.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, you'd be surprised at how easy it is to hide!! I live in a tiny 3 bed house with my family of 5 and none of them knew until 5 years in... So I doubt he does.

woh, I stand corrected. I'd prefer to know about it, I mean, it's just a medical condition like any other, right?
If he's worth your time he shouldn't be anything but concerned for your health and helping you recover. You've been with him for 3 months - he obviously cares about you.

It's a really big thing to tell someone about your eating disorder - I am a recovering (?) bulimic so I know how scary it can be. But telling people close to you is a really important part of recovery, and if you trust him I think you should try and tell him (better than him hearing noises from the bathroom after meals or whatever).
Reply 8
My worry is that he won't understand like why I do it, if that makes sence? (I mean there is no logical reason)
:frown:

I wouldn't have a problem dating someone with an eating disorder. I'd prefer you to be open with me - that's what a relationship is about. But I understand that it's not the first thing you'd want to divulge in a new relationship.

A bulimic friend told me how she broke the news to one boy she fancied... "You know how some guys go out and drink, then throw up, then drink some more, and throw up... well I'm the same, but with food". Not sure if everyone could use that line, but try it for size.

Good luck with your treatment! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Pastaferian
I wouldn't have a problem dating someone with an eating disorder. I'd prefer you to be open with me - that's what a relationship is about. But I understand that it's not the first thing you'd want to divulge in a new relationship.

A bulimic friend told me how she broke the news to one boy she fancied... "You know how some guys go out and drink, then throw up, then drink some more, and throw up... well I'm the same, but with food". Not sure if everyone could use that line, but try it for size.

Good luck with your treatment! :smile:

What your friend said made me laugh! I could totally use that one, I have regularly looked after my bf throwing up from alcohol. (not that I mind)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending