The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sunfowers01
Struggling. Feeling so low. Don't know how I'm meant to hold down a job even on reduced hours.

It's ok if you don't want to say on here, but have any of you struggled with mental health issues?

I don't think I have. Generally when I get a moment to think about it, I feel pretty positive. I just often feel overwhelmed by the workload so I have to get on with it and not stop to think. I don't feel miserable though, just busy.

I don't think it's good for me though - I lost so much weight on my first placement because I often just didn't feel like eating, or felt like I didn't have time to. I always ate dinner but often skipped breakfast and lunch.

Mental health issues are extremely common in this job and a lot of teachers end up having time off with stress because they're just under so much pressure. A friend of mine left her NQT year part way through due to anxiety and depression after having been signed off for a while.

If you're worried about your mental health, make sure you seek medical advice. I know that might be difficult since you're working abroad but try and arrange something when you can.
Original post by sunfowers01
Struggling. Feeling so low. Don't know how I'm meant to hold down a job even on reduced hours.

It's ok if you don't want to say on here, but have any of you struggled with mental health issues?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I did, never diagnosed and never really badly but fairly sure I know what it was.

It wasn't connected to teaching but I do worry on occasion that with all of this pressure it might well come back and I won't be able to deal with it.
Back to school tomorrow for me...

I anticipate this next term being the toughest - 7 weeks til we next get a break, and the first 6 of those weeks are on a timetable of 17 (50 minute) lessons per week.

But the end is near!
Original post by myrtille

I anticipate this next term being the toughest - 7 weeks til we next get a break, and the first 6 of those weeks are on a timetable of 17 (50 minute) lessons per week.

But the end is near!

I think you'll be surprised... The final term is by far the most pleasant! At least that was the general consensus on my course. You're more like an actual teacher in terms of timetable, confidence and ability so you're able to get into a routine of sorts.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad app
Original post by myrtille

But the end is near!

I'm feeling anxious about it too!! I don't go back for another week though. We're going to be teaching 16, 1 hour lessons a week. It's a big step up from the 12 we were doing last time!

Original post by noodles!
I think you'll be surprised... The final term is by far the most pleasant! At least that was the general consensus on my course. You're more like an actual teacher in terms of timetable, confidence and ability so you're able to get into a routine of sorts.

That's good to hear! I'm starting to feel better about this practice now! I've done sequence planners for 2/3 weeks of English and for pretty much a half term's worth of topic, so it's mainly a case of doing the individual plans and resources now rather than thinknig up brand new ideas ALL THE TIME. Just need to make sure I hit all the standards now! The last week is going to be blissful as our files will have been collected! No pressure then!
My core assignment is due in next week and I still have no idea what to do. I have to do a science experiment at my own level (I have nothing past GCSE if that means anything) then discuss the implications with regards to teaching children.

I've been thinking about doing the experiment where you test different brands of indigestion tablet to see which neutralises the quickest but I don't think that would go down very well seeing as it's something a lot of kids do in Year 7. I might test different household substances. I fancy playing with acid...
Reply 1986
Wow!!! Sounds like PGCE is really tough. I'm starting in Oct. Is it worth the effort? :confused:
Original post by sammster
Wow!!! Sounds like PGCE is really tough. I'm starting in Oct. Is it worth the effort? :confused:

Definitely. You have to remember that people only tend to post moans on here! It's like looking up an operation you're due to have online... You will only find the stories of the ones gone wrong!

So what's all this about lesson planning? Are PGCE students marked on their handed in lesson plans? How do you get judged on your teaching... is there someone watching you teach the whole time, or is it based on pupil success?

Just wondering because I'm considering PGCE next year (and almost definitely will go for it).
Original post by Dragonfly07
So what's all this about lesson planning? Are PGCE students marked on their handed in lesson plans? How do you get judged on your teaching... is there someone watching you teach the whole time, or is it based on pupil success?

Just wondering because I'm considering PGCE next year (and almost definitely will go for it).

My course certainly never used lesson plans to judge teaching. And Ofsted don't require them so qualified teachers don't HAVE to submit them either, but some schools insist. You can meet standards using them so you have to submit them for those purposes (planning for differentiation etc is only seen on a plan). Also you need to be seen to be able to do it before you're 'let loose', if you see what I mean. But your teaching should be judged by what happens in the lesson, how much progress the pupils make etc.

You will be watched pretty much all of the time, but only so many lessons will be 'formally observed'. The details are up to each course, but you need time to develop your 'everyday teaching' as well as your 'show off' teaching (these 2 are different, I don't care what anyone says). The class teacher will be there for the simple reason that they are still accountable for the progress of the class, and can be an extra pair of hands if not formally observing you. Later on in the course, depending on policy, you may be 'left alone' with the teacher nearby so you can send for them if needs be, but you will still need to be formally observed.

5 1/2 weeks of placement left for me, one of which is a 4 day week :smile:- the end is totally in sight as far as I'm concerned! Just want to pass this damn numeracy and GET A JOB!!
Original post by noodles!
My course certainly never used lesson plans to judge teaching. And Ofsted don't require them so qualified teachers don't HAVE to submit them either, but some schools insist. You can meet standards using them so you have to submit them for those purposes (planning for differentiation etc is only seen on a plan). Also you need to be seen to be able to do it before you're 'let loose', if you see what I mean. But your teaching should be judged by what happens in the lesson, how much progress the pupils make etc.

Just to point out - a school I was in at the start of my course got Ofsted during my first week there, and at staff briefing when the inspectors were talking to all the teachers the woman asked teachers to have their plans easily accessible for the inspector to have a look at when an inspector came in.
It is a work in progress but here is my new Blog. I plan to fill it with tips and advice for those who haven't yet started their PGCE. Only two posts so far but plenty of ideas to come :smile: Hope it helps.

http://getreadytoteach.blogspot.co.uk/
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
Just to point out - a school I was in at the start of my course got Ofsted during my first week there, and at staff briefing when the inspectors were talking to all the teachers the woman asked teachers to have their plans easily accessible for the inspector to have a look at when an inspector came in.

Ofsted want to see evidence of planning, not necessarily the full thing. They're (supposed to be- I'm still a cynic until they arrive) judging the typicality of your teaching, not your marvellous 'pull it off the shelf' lesson plan. My school bought in an Ofsted inspector to do a CPD session and he said as much.

I'm not planning on giving them any detailed plans when they show up anyway! They'll be lucky if they get an accurate seating plan the way some of my groups behave!

Personally I think giving someone a plan is a waste of time anyway. Yes it helps them to see that you've thought about differentiation etc which is why it's needed during your PGCE (and worth submitting a few for NQT evidence too). But with the best will in the world, if you gave me a lesson plan and told me to observe the lesson for what happens I would still be making sure you did what was in the plan. Teaching to a rigorous plan, especially under scrutiny, can throw you off too. If you're able to think 'well he doesn't know that this activity was supposed to take 5, not 20', you're probably better equipped to deal with the change in the lesson.

(sorry for the rant-like post, not meant with any anger or anything, I'm just avoiding marking!)
Not long to go current PGCE'ers! The final stretch is upon you, well done! :biggrin:
Reply 1995
Original post by balloon_parade
Not long to go current PGCE'ers! The final stretch is upon you, well done! :biggrin:

Thankyou! Did you find your last essay a struggle to write? I'm finding that I have not motivation to get my final essay done.... Is this normal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lowe28
Thankyou! Did you find your last essay a struggle to write? I'm finding that I have not motivation to get my final essay done.... Is this normal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! I found essays got lost under the depths of planning/assessment and school work, placement is the priority isn't it? (or feels like it!) Just think to yourself that this is the last one you will be doing for a while. I did secretly enjoy assignments so I was usually ok once I got going. Hope it goes well!
Original post by lowe28

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha yup, mine's due on Tuesday. It's 4000 words, I've done 1600 so far and I'm going away in an hour until Sunday evening. So it's going to have to be an all nighter on Monday I think. It's masters level too. And I'm not even on placement at the moment. I've just enjoyed having my life back so much this last couple of weeks the thought of loosing it again makes me feel sick.

The worst part is I'm not going to finish until December now. So frustrating that 2 weeks off sick at Christmas puts me behind more than 6 months. I'm struggling to cope with this new condition and the PGCE. Part of me just wants to quit now and cut my losses but I've never quit anything before and don't think I can start now!
Reply 1998
Original post by Sarang_assa
haha yup, mine's due on Tuesday. It's 4000 words, I've done 1600 so far and I'm going away in an hour until Sunday evening. So it's going to have to be an all nighter on Monday I think. It's masters level too. And I'm not even on placement at the moment. I've just enjoyed having my life back so much this last couple of weeks the thought of loosing it again makes me feel sick.

The worst part is I'm not going to finish until December now. So frustrating that 2 weeks off sick at Christmas puts me behind more than 6 months. I'm struggling to cope with this new condition and the PGCE. Part of me just wants to quit now and cut my losses but I've never quit anything before and don't think I can start now!

Hi ya, mine's the same... I'm on your course! I'm ploughing through mine today and I've got to get some planning done for next week too! Don't quit, keep going you'll get there in the end x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sarang_assa

Keep going, it may feel like a long way off but at least in your final term you'll have loads of experience to fall back on and you'll be able to apply for jobs with a jan start. Best wishes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending