The Student Room Group

I'm at parties about Margaret Thatcher's death

Scroll to see replies

Original post by a729
He's a (divisive/polarising) politician! And sadly now an MP

That's true but I doubt there will be any parties by the right when say Scargill , Blair , Kinnock, Brown , etc.pass on

They didn't have the same effect Thatcher had, also of course she was PM three times in a row. All you are saying is that lesser figures aren't as important as greater figures.

Hope it's not anytime soon for his sake, but let's see what happens when Blair goes. There will be all kinds of wierd comments and misinformed hate popping out of the woodwork.
Reply 221
Original post by ed-
Do you expect me to feel guilty for being a Conservative? :rolleyes:

Dude, stop it. I have never ever said anything about about Thatcher in this thread, about Tories or anything remotely political.

The fact that you keep bringing it up and peoples "hate" towards Thatcher just tells me you are trolling. I'm just gonna say bye because you're pointless.
Reply 222
Original post by chrissie19913
She wasnt a normal human being tho :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't mention anything of 'normality', that's another story. But some people's portrayal of her is hyperbolic. Yes she did wrong but yes she is human. This is not me condoning her actions, this is just me saying her death should not be celebrated. I think that's plain rude.
Reply 223
Original post by danny111
Dude, stop it. I have never ever said anything about about Thatcher in this thread, about Tories or anything remotely political.

The fact that you keep bringing it up and peoples "hate" towards Thatcher just tells me you are trolling. I'm just gonna say bye because you're pointless.

Then what was this:

And given this has been happening apparently for other Tory governments across the world, it isn't just coincidence.

And why on earth are you so intent on proving that she's to blame for all suicides from '79 - '90?
Reply 224
Original post by ed-
Then what was this:

And why on earth are you so intent on proving that she's to blame for all suicides from '79 - '90?

That has nothing to do with politics. If I had said "because of the Tory scum we have seen increased suicide rates across the worlds when they are in government", then that would have been political. I think you just read what you want to read. And yet again you mis-represent something, who ever said all suicides from 79-90, we are talking about an increased rate. That is far, far from all.

I'm not intent on proving that at all. You, falsely, dismissed the study and the other poster's point and all I was trying to do was show that it is indeed possible to say something about this.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 225
Original post by the mezzil
She's on 4 now :smile:

Loool

I heard the mod warning both of you for being rude to each other!

I didn't get to see the offending posts :frown:
Reply 226
Original post by ed-
Do you expect me to feel guilty for being a Conservative? :rolleyes:

They probably do!
Some lefties would probably abolish all right wing thoughts if they could!
Reply 227
Original post by danny111
That has nothing to do with politics. If I had said "because of the Tory scum we have seen increased suicide rates across the worlds when they are in government", then that would have been political. I think you just read what you want to read. And yet again you mis-represent something, who ever said all suicides from 79-90, we are talking about an increased rate. That is far, far from all.

I'm not intent on proving that at all. You, falsely, dismissed the study and the other poster's point and all I was trying to do was show that it is indeed possible to say something about this.

Well it did, since you're implying that something to do with right wing politics leads to high suicide rates.

And I still dismiss it, as I originally did, as being post hoc ergo propter hoc.
But, as I've already said, even if I did accept the original poster's conclusion as correct then my view would be unchanged, so what exactly are you trying to achieve?
Original post by a729
Loool

I heard the mod warning both of you for being rude to each other!

I didn't get to see the offending posts :frown:

Fullofsuprises slandering the rightwing etc.

I'm not even remotely a hardline rightwing, I mean I'm right wing economically, but not really so much socially, which is why I don't understand why she constantly ignores me, or indirectly attacks me through posts that don't specifically mention me but are aimed at me. (usually slandering UKIP etc) Some things I actually agree with her on though :s-smilie: but there we go. I can't really say much else cos of mod etc :wink:
Reply 229
Original post by ed-
Well it did, since you're implying that something to do with right wing politics leads to high suicide rates.

And I still dismiss it, as I originally did, as being post hoc ergo propter hoc.
But, as I've already said, even if I did accept the original poster's conclusion as correct then my view would be unchanged, so what exactly are you trying to achieve?

If it's the truth, I'm not implying anything. And you still wrongly dismiss it.

But okay, you are set in your mind so goodbye.
Reply 230
Original post by a729

That's true but I doubt there will be any parties by the right when say Scargill , Blair , Kinnock, Brown , etc.pass on

They were certainly happy enough to see Chavez kick it! Anyway you could argue that Blair and Brown were on the right...
Original post by a729

I know

People could just as easily blame Scargill for losing the miners strike because he was a very bad leader.
Reply 232
Original post by a729
I was disgusted when I heard there will a big party on Saturday in Trafalgar Square to celebrate her death.

She was a brilliant woman- arguably her simply becoming the most powerful woman in the world meant she more than did her bit for 'feminism'.

She saved Britain.

She was not perfect but she was a much better leader than the ones we have had recently.

It is wrong to celebrate her death

Edit: How can I get negged for saying it's wrong to celebrate a person's death.. I'd post a similar thing if I heard people were celebrating Brown or Blair's death!

Apart from her being a brilliant woman, I don't know. But my blog is in agreement with you, it's utterly indecent to party about her death. http://ismakousar.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/you-are-no-better-than-thatcher/
Reply 233
For everyone saying that people celebrated Hitler/Guy Fawkes/Bin Laden's death, I just think that's people's opinions. In my opinion, I wouldn't throw a party as such. Sure I'd be relieved that World War 2 had ended, sure I'd be relieved that the parliament hadn't blown up. Sure I'd be relieved a world-known terrorist will not strike again. But I believe it's a bit too far to throw a party. These people were someone's mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters. Take Margaret Thatcher for example..her children would not appreciate people disrespecting their mother by throwing parties no matter what she did. She's still a human being! Just my opinion though, I completely understand other people's viewpoints however.
(edited 11 years ago)
Grow up peeople who say its right to celebrate her death, how would you like it if someone celebrated your death? Makes me sick, regardless of your opinions on Margaret Thatcher, she was still a HUMAN BEING.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 235
Original post by popnit
Take Margaret Thatcher for example..her children would not appreciate people disrespecting their mother by throwing parties no matter what she did. Just my opinion though, I completely understand other people's viewpoints however.

Hmmmm could i give a **** about Mark and Carol Thatcher? Thats a toughie.
I disagree with the idea of publically celebrating her death (or the death of anyone to be honest), but I agree people should have the right to do it if they see fit.... they just shouldn't have the right to be free from criticism.
Reply 237
Original post by n00
Hmmmm could i give a **** about Mark and Carol Thatcher? Thats a toughie.

If one of your parents died, would you like it if people threw a party to celebrate their death? Bet that's a toughie too.
Reply 238
Original post by The Mad Dog
Her economic policies killed thousands of people. Suicide higher under Thatcher

Her economic policies may have caused hardship for those in the north, but radical changes were needed to save the country from going over the edge. Inevitably, many were going to be effected badly. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on her but a party to celebrate death is just distasteful.
Reply 239
thatcher.png

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending