The Student Room Group

Have you ever been insulted about your looks?

Scroll to see replies

I get told I am pretty a lot however I have been called ugly and told i look like rodent from a handful of horrible people who in all fairness were no stunners themselves
Original post by MalteseMalteser

But then there was the time when girls in my year said that they'd rather date my brother (who is two years younger than me), than me...to my face. These girls were extremely good looking and I died a little inside because it was that embarrassing and demoralizing - I hadn't even asked them out or something to provoke it. they just came out with it :frown:

You should have been like '...erm why would you think i would be interested in you?' do a confused face and walked off. That would have deflated their egos a little bit :tongue:
Reply 202
Original post by x-Sophie-x
My eyes used to change colour a lot when I was younger (now not so much), so kids used to say I looked 'abnormal' and that I was 'weird and belonged on another planet'. It was pretty horrible as a child, because at that time I didn't know any better than to listen to them.

Some people out there can be pretty cruel! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

For what its worth. I think that's really cool!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PricklyPorcupine
I have a friend whose eyes change colour from greeny to grey to bluey but she likes it because it makes her feel special- her words!

Hmm, well I suppose :P I always saw it as something annoying though.

Mine used to change from brown to green to blue every few days or so, so quite drastic changes. Fortunately they've stopped at green for some time now.
Original post by jarasta
For what its worth. I think that's really cool!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww. Thank you :smile:
Funny though, a lot of people have said that, yet I used to absolutely hate it.
Reply 205
People have called me fat. But not just anyone, my own relatives. Isn't it nice to have the people who should love you most insult you the most? Even people at school haven't said anything, which I hope stays the same!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never to my face. Possibly behind my back, I don't know...

I remember getting quoted on here with someone saying something about the way I look but it didn't 'hurt' me. It just made me laugh because the guy was trying to be all insulting and tough and I was like, yeah, I don't even know you... Why would I care what he thinks?
Original post by katehlouise
Never to my face. Possibly behind my back, I don't know...

I remember getting quoted on here with someone saying something about the way I look but it didn't 'hurt' me. It just made me laugh because the guy was trying to be all insulting and tough and I was like, yeah, I don't even know you... Why would I care what he thinks?

Those people are pathetic..:rolleyes:
Original post by civilstudent
Girls and guys, have you ever been or felt insulted by others about your looks which has perhaps dented your confidence? Like maybe someone said you had a big nose, you look old, you have horrible eyes etc.

Tell us some times about when (if ever) you have been insulted?

If you havent been insulted then say so.

Just thought it would be interesting and might help others who have gone through similar to realise that everyone gets insulted, has faults and that they are often exaggerated words.

I'l start. Heres what I can think up at the moment.

-I was rated the least attractive girl in class at college for some facial attractiveness/biology topic. Ok so maybe this wasnt an insult as it was an anonymous activity but made me feel insulted. Its kind of worse than an insult as I couldnt put it down to nastiness/being victimised lol.

-A 30 odd year old man I went on a few dates with then broke up with told his mates that he was worried about getting any girl as he couldnt even get the ugliest of girls (meaning me).

Its not a direct insult as such but Ive never had a proper relationship and guys never approach me which i find insulting/lowers confidence.

Well I got told I looked like Carrie?

And that I was 'scary'. -___- people's comprehension of disability is ABYSMAL.

Also I was told through private anon messages online that a cat's arse looked prettier than moi.

** That obviously shows that he probably isnt attractive at all.. **
Original post by SillyMilly
Ive got an underdevloped optic nerve in my left eye and as a result in turns in slightly i think its by 1 mm but its clearly noticable especially when im tired, stressed or upset.

Ive had people laugh point at me, talk about it behind my back a girl at uni told me that if she had something as embarssing as I do she wouldnt show her face until it had been operated on. I went through life without many people ever commenting on it, until i went to uni when the people have been cruel and vile. They dont think about what they say they say things like 'oh you look like the russell howard guy he has a funny eye too' or 'why are you crossed eyed' ' why is your eye wonky' 'cant you get that fixed'

Or the worse thing has been when people talk about it behind my back they laugh about it and of course it gets back to me people who cant remeber me refer to me as the girl with the wonky eye

I wish people would just come up and ask me about it as its not a lazy eye, i cant have it operated on theres a 80% risk if i do i will go blind in both my eyes, people just dont realise how hurtful what they say is.

Ive also been taken the piss out for my height (5ft11) or my chubby cheeks or being to fat or to skinny

This is really terrible.. :frown:.. I'm sorry that you had to go through that.. so uni people still haven't matured yet? :hugs:

Yes.. WHY does no-one bother to come and ask about the disability and instead sit in their assumptions. If you want to know.. ASK. If you think something before you know the person.. chances are what you thought was WRONG.

But even if it was a lazy eye though, does that really cause people any harm.. does it really matter? others need to accept your condition and move on.
Original post by Anonymous
SillyMilly, I'm really sorry to hear of your experience with such people.

I was the fat bloke in my school, seriously overweight. 24 stone approximately when I was 16 (I was then and still am 6'1 ). Was in boarding school -and was easily the fattest kid in my year, the year above or the year below me for a solid 3-4 years. The taunts were cruel but tolerable when I was 13/14, cause well they were mostly banter/it didn't bother me so much then. As everyone got a bit older, the insults became worse, lard-arse, fat boy, jokes about man boobs etc. Then there were times when I'd be taking my lunch from the school cafeteria to a table and an upperclassman would knock the tray down saying "I'm doing you a favor fat ass".
Drained me of all self confidence, plus the one of the few times I actually had the courage to ask a girl out, the response was something along the lines of "who'd go out with you?". All this really dented my confidence. Thankfully I was always near the top of my class academically, so I tried to focus on the good stuff, but there were times when the taunts and bullying associated with me being overweight was unreal.

Eventually the pain/anger/sadness from all this lead me to lose all the fat and get quite fit by regularly hitting the gym and eating right over the last 3 years. Every time I lift in the gym, I remember those pricks who teased me, poked my chest and said "wish my girl had tits like these" and **** like that, and push myself harder. Can kick the **** out of any of them this day, and if I ever see any one of them again, I will :smile:.

this is really sad :frown:...

people can be cruel indeed..

but the stuff that I highlighted only proves that they got the better of you.. so what if you're fat.. you should be fat and be proud of it.. they shouldnt have to make you feel like you have to push or worker hard just to erase their words.

Hopefully you meet them again and they get the punishment of a life time.
I'm evidence that a loving, fair God doesn't exist.
Reply 212
Some guy once laughed that I had a "square head". I mean, the nerve of some people.

People have called me 'Jew nose', which is more insulting to Jews than to me, but it's still not great.
Reply 213
Original post by ChocoholicPolyglot
Lol really? That made my day :smile:

No, absolutely nothing! I've seen a fair few people with similar noses to yours and there is no reason to think it's an inherently bad shape haha.
Original post by CJKay
No, absolutely nothing! I've seen a fair few people with similar noses to yours and there is no reason to think it's an inherently bad shape haha.

Haha LOL if you say so :wink:
Reply 215
When I was younger people used to say I looked like a witch or a ghost because I have very pale skin and black hair, which used to upset me. Now I own my pale skin! :biggrin:
Original post by hannahchan
this is really sad :frown:...

people can be cruel indeed..

but the stuff that I highlighted only proves that they got the better of you.. so what if you're fat.. you should be fat and be proud of it.. they shouldnt have to make you feel like you have to push or worker hard just to erase their words.

Hopefully you meet them again and they get the punishment of a life time.

No doubt, it was rough being in boarding school, no parents, no siblings around. Kinda rough to deal with when you're 14/15 years old like I was. I really suffered, but after ages of feeling sorry for myself, I got off my ass and did something about it. I lost 12 stone in 2.5 years. Eventually I just into the habit of getting staying fit.

Only thing is, when one of my even "close" friends makes the slightest remark about someone else being overweight I want to break their face. Its something that I've tried to let go of, and am doing so slowly, but it really really saddens me to see overweight people ostracized and made fun of. Nothing changed about my personality from being 24 stone to 12. Nothing. Yet the world was so much nicer to me all of a sudden. Cruel world out there when you're young and don't fit the archetypal teenager look.
Original post by hannahchan
This is really terrible.. :frown:.. I'm sorry that you had to go through that.. so uni people still haven't matured yet? :hugs:

Yes.. WHY does no-one bother to come and ask about the disability and instead sit in their assumptions. If you want to know.. ASK. If you think something before you know the person.. chances are what you thought was WRONG.

But even if it was a lazy eye though, does that really cause people any harm.. does it really matter? others need to accept your condition and move on.

thankyou for your really nice response :smile: it made me feel much better. No if anything i think the uni lot are worse they are so superficial i suppose most of their lives evolve around going out drinking pulling people and its all about looks and having a turned in eye hardly makes me fit into the 'attractive' catogory.

Thats what frustrates me im the one that has to live with it and look at it everyday they dont so i wish they wpuld just shut up and leave me be i dont need people to point it out as i already know its exists!
Reply 218
Original post by x-Sophie-x
Aww. Thank you :smile:
Funny though, a lot of people have said that, yet I used to absolutely hate it.

Do you like it now? :smile:
When I was like 8/9 at boarding-school a popular girl in year 10/11 said "Wow that is one ugly kid" (or something like that, I just remember the word "ugly" directed to me fairly loudly) at me in front of a bunch of people and one or two of my friends. I just pretended it didn't happen and walked on. Don't and didn't really care about stranger's opinions of me regardless of how popular or attractive they are.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending