The Student Room Group

Women only carriages on trains

Just wondering what people think about having women only carriages on trains. I'm in Japan at the moment and in most subway/underground trains (not overground generally) they have women only carriages. Would this be a good idea in the UK? Do they already have it (not being from London...)? I'm just interested more than anything :colondollar:

I accidentally went in one today, and it did smell good :rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can see absolutely no reason why this would be beneficial.
Reply 2
Women already get their own space in the gym, they can't have trains to.
Reply 3
It's not like the UK has a huge groping problem like Japan is it?

I don't see the reason to have it - it's just going to needlessly persecute men who will undoubtedly get squished up more to make room, unless they had male only as well.

Basically, why bother?
So women spent decades campaigning they wanted to be equal. Now you want your own carriages. And it wouldn't be beneficial to anyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Separate but equal! Oh yes, that worked brillantly.
Reply 6
There is in UAE. I think it's a good idea.

And should be implemented everywhere. I'm sick of seeing fat girls in the same carriage as I'm in.
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Just wondering what people think about having women only carriages on trains. I'm in Japan at the moment and in most subway/underground trains (not overground generally) they have women only carriages. Would this be a good idea in the UK? Do they already have it (not being from London...)? I'm just interested more than anything :colondollar:

Well I don't really see the point.. why try to segregate genders like that?

It just entices perverts really as they know women will be there.

If they were to produce something similar in London, a multi-cultural train should be produced which segregates different nationalities.
(edited 11 years ago)
Yup just like Saudi Arabia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by RedArrow
There is in UAE. I think it's a good idea.

And should be implemented everywhere. I'm sick of seeing fat girls in the same carriage as I'm in.

Women only doesn't mean that women aren't allowed in the the normal carriages. :wink:
We do have problems with harassment here in the UK but not to the extent that we need women-only carriages. It wouldn't solve the problem anyway, it would just perpetuate the idea that women and men are unequal and should be separate. It would stop women from being harassed and groped, but it wouldn't deal with the root of the problem.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
First women only gyms, now women only carriages. I doubt they need to separate themselves any more. Feminists don't want equal rights, they want special rights.
Original post by CodeJack
First women only gyms, now women only carriages. I doubt they need to separate themselves any more. Feminists don't want equal rights, they want special rights.

The women-only carriages exist in Japan because they have a huge problem with men groping women on packed commuter trains. I think most feminists would argue that separate carriages aren't really the solution - men need to change their behaviour - it's just a stop gap that doesn't really address the root cause of the problem.

As for 'feminists wanting special rights', if you read the OP properly, you'll notice that it is a man making the suggestion, not a woman*. Most of the female respondents to this thread have stated that they don't see the point.

But by all means continue to use this as some sort of 'feminazi propganda' in your head.

*Not that men cannot be feminists, but it didn't really seem like the OP was making a feminist point (I'm not actually sure what point he was making, other than apparently women smell nice).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cant_think_of_name

I sometimes am glad of separate waiting rooms on platforms, mainly when the station is empty, and although I appreciate I shouldn't tarnish all men with the same brush, going into a waiting room with a single man in can be a bit scary, even if he turns out to be friendly later on. I am not that physically big so I can find tall men intimidating.
Reply 14
Original post by ed-
I can see absolutely no reason why this would be beneficial.

^^
Reply 15
Original post by flying plum
The women-only carriages exist in Japan because they have a huge problem with men groping women on packed commuter trains. I think most feminists would argue that separate carriages aren't really the solution - men need to change their behaviour - it's just a stop gap that doesn't really address the root cause of the problem.

As for 'feminists wanting special rights', if you read the OP properly, you'll notice that it is a man making the suggestion, not a woman*. Most of the female respondents to this thread have stated that they don't see the point.

But by all means continue to use this as some sort of 'feminazi propganda' in your head.

*Not that men cannot be feminists, but it didn't really seem like the OP was making a feminist point (I'm not actually sure what point he was making, other than apparently women smell nice).

I'm talking outside of TSR, not at the OP, as in it was probably their idea to have this and was picking up on the 2nd posters point.
Reply 16
London don't have it, everyone too busy to have time to annoy women on trains
Original post by CodeJack
I'm talking outside of TSR, not at the OP, as in it was probably their idea to have this and was picking up on the 2nd posters point.

What would be your suggestion to dealing (in the short term) with women who feel harassed and victimised on their daily commute, and who may thus not want to travel to work, as a non-feminist?
The day that comes in would be like Christmas for lesbians :sexface:
Reply 19
Original post by flying plum
What would be your suggestion to dealing (in the short term) with women who feel harassed and victimised on their daily commute, and who may thus not want to travel to work, as a non-feminist?

More cameras, places at stations that women can report this immediately, people of authority on trains? A whole lot cheaper and quicker than more train carriages which cost through the earth and are in short supply due to there only being one or two British companies making them any more. This means importing from other countries (Even more expensive).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending