The Student Room Group

Haber Process

I'm struggling to understand how temperature and pressure affect the yield and where the equilibrium shifts.

The book states that the lower the temp the equilibrium shift to the right but why does this happen?

Can anyone help?
Reply 1
Original post by zed963
I'm struggling to understand how temperature and pressure affect the yield and where the equilibrium shifts.

The book states that the lower the temp the equilibrium shift to the right but why does this happen?

Can anyone help?

It depends on whether the forwards reaction is exothermic or endothermic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is the forward reaction exothermic or endothermic?

Once you have worked this out, use Le Chatelier's Principle to work out why this is the case.

Alternatively use the equations for entropy change, with relation to temperature and equilibrium constant, to work out for an endo or exothermic reaction, what effect changing T would have on K via delta S total.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by d4nny
Is the forward reaction exothermic or endothermic?

Once you have worked this out, use Le Chatelier's Principle to work out why this is the case.

Well according to the book I have to make ammonia.

So N2+3H2 ---> 2NH3

Forward reaction is exothermic and Backward reaction is endothermic.
Original post by zed963
Well according to the book I have to make ammonia.

So N2+3H2 ---> 2NH3

Forward reaction is exothermic and Backward reaction is endothermic.

Yes so by Le Chatelier's Principle, the reaction will appear to try to do the opposite of whatever change you make. If you cool it down, it will try and heat itself up again by favouring the forward reaction, which is exothermic, therefore making a higher yield of ammonia. i.e a shift to the right.
Reply 5
Original post by d4nny
Yes so by Le Chatelier's Principle, the reaction will appear to try to do the opposite of whatever change you make. If you cool it down, it will try and heat itself up again by favouring the forward reaction, which is exothermic, therefore making a higher yield of ammonia. i.e a shift to the right.

But if you heat the forward reaction, you'll make a higher yield of ammonia won't you?
Original post by zed963
But if you heat the forward reaction, you'll make a higher yield of ammonia won't you?

If you heat the reaction, it will try to oppose the change by cooling itself down and doing more of the endothermic backwards reaction. Heating will increase the RATE of the reactions, but not the yield. In industry, a compromise must be made between how quickly the ammonia forms and the yield of ammonia. The use of catalysts also helps this.

Is this for A level?
Reply 7
Original post by d4nny
If you heat the reaction, it will try to oppose the change by cooling itself down and doing more of the endothermic backwards reaction. Heating will increase the RATE of the reactions, but not the yield. In industry, a compromise must be made between how quickly the ammonia forms and the yield of ammonia. The use of catalysts also helps this.

Is this for A level?

Well yeah it comes into a-level but it's for GCSE because I'm taking separate sciences.
Original post by zed963
Well yeah it comes into a-level but it's for GCSE because I'm taking separate sciences.

Ah okay, ignore what I said about entropy in my first post about why Le Chatelier's Principle is the case, you just need to know that it is the case.
Reply 9
Original post by d4nny
Ah okay, ignore what I said about entropy in my first post about why Le Chatelier's Principle is the case, you just need to know that it is the case.

I like to understand stuff.
Original post by zed963

All you need to know if that increasing temperature will favour the backwards reaction, i.e. the endothermic reaction in this case, so if the reaction is happening "backwards" the yield is naturally going to decrease.
Original post by zed963
I like to understand stuff.

Take a look at the "Le Chatelier's Principle", "The Haber Process" bits of http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/equilibmenu.html#top

And if you want to know more about why, go on to "Mathematical bits" and maybe look up a bit about entropy, but that is beyond GCSE so don't worry if you don't understand it yet. Take A level chemistry if you want to know in more detail :wink:
Reply 12
Did you know that the Haber Process was actually founded by a man called Balaji Sharma, on which he passed down to his cousin John Haber who took the credit? Interestingly enough, he spent 10 years studying it before deciding that a local curry establishment was more important to him. Unfortuanetly he was deported back to Sri Lanka when found to have no visa, and upon his arrival savagely attacked by a herd of goats who had taken a particular dislike to his autobiography.
Original post by cheetahs56
Did you know that the Haber Process was actually founded by a man called Balaji Sharma, on which he passed down to his cousin John Haber who took the credit? Interestingly enough, he spent 10 years studying it before deciding that a local curry establishment was more important to him. Unfortuanetly he was deported back to Sri Lanka when found to have no visa, and upon his arrival savagely attacked by a herd of goats who had taken a particular dislike to his autobiography.

Let's show you the door.
Reply 14

Wasn't it Fritz Haber?
Reply 15

I'd be very shocked if you take chemistry. Or atleast take it seriously.
Reply 16
Original post by nukethemaly
Let's show you the door.

Door on an online forum? Wow.

Original post by zed963
Wasn't it Fritz Haber?

Yeah it was, John was his actual name with Fritz his nickname which is widely used.
Original post by popnit
I'd be very shocked if you take chemistry. Or atleast take it seriously.

Yeah I take A-Level Chemistry as a joke...:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest