The Student Room Group

How the hell do you revise? Incapable of doing so it seems.

Right, I have the motivation but not the methods.

I got up at 8:25 this morning, watched Frasier, and at 9 wrote out notes from my history textbook. However this took ages so I decided to type them up. However, I find myself just typing the whole textbook up. I already typed the notes up from my textbook last week.

I have started from the beginning of the textbook, but I seem to be typing and not really focusing on what i am typing like I am when I write, but writing takes too long.

I know the start of the courses well now, so I was going to go over stuff I am not too confident with.

What methods shall I use? Mindmaps are okay, but I can't seem to fit much on them for my essay subjects.

In the past before my mocks I just read the textbook the night before and got Bs and As. I didn't revise at all for my US history test and got 90%!

What shall I do to revise?

Reply 1
Hello,

Not every method is the right method for everyone. However, I feel that the best way to revise is right questions on something you've just read and write the answers. A bit like 'Q' cards, and then keep going over these questions and answering them in your head because then you actually have to think about what you're writing etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by hayleyoung
Hello,

Not every method is the right method for everyone. However, I feel that the best way to revise is right questions on something you've just read and write the answers. A bit like 'Q' cards, and then keep going over these questions and answering them in your head because then you actually have to think about what you're writing etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

not a bad idea, any other suggestions?
Original post by Phil Dunphy

I got up at 8:25 this morning, watched Frasier, and at 9 wrote out notes from my history textbook. However this took ages so I decided to type them up. However, I find myself just typing the whole textbook up. I already typed the notes up from my textbook last week.

I have started from the beginning of the textbook, but I seem to be typing and not really focusing on what i am typing like I am when I write, but writing takes too long.

I know the start of the courses well now, so I was going to go over stuff I am not too confident with.

What methods shall I use? Mindmaps are okay, but I can't seem to fit much on them for my essay subjects.

In the past before my mocks I just read the textbook the night before and got Bs and As. I didn't revise at all for my US history test and got 90%!

To make something stick in your head you need to revise a topic 3 times, each time in a different way. With that in mind, here are the sorts of things you could do:

Write notes - try bullet points, paragraphs, mindmaps.

Make flashcards - a date on one side, event on the other.

Creative? Make posters and stick them in your room.

Plaster your house (parents permitting!) in post-it notes with key info on them.

Get a roll of white wallpaper, stick it across your bedroom wall and make a huge history timeline with key events (what I'm doing)!

Answer questions from the textbook, maybe your teacher can mark them for you?

And of course, eat and breathe past papers - master the exam technique.

Good luck! :smile: x
Reply 4
I also like to go on 'www.getrevising.co.uk' - Its useful for making questions etc.
Reply 5
How to pass exams everytime by Mike Evans. Google this- eBook online
Reply 6
I'm currently in the stage of making notes for each subject. Aiming to get all that done in 3 weeks time, then i'll move on to making things such as mind maps, before moving on the past papers and practice questions in the build up to exams.
Reply 7
Original post by Baines3
I'm currently in the stage of making notes for each subject. Aiming to get all that done in 3 weeks time, then i'll move on to making things such as mind maps, before moving on the past papers and practice questions in the build up to exams.

AS or A2 :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Phil Dunphy
AS or A2 :smile:

Got 1 AS exam, and 3 A2 :2euk48l:
Lol at the fraiser bit.

I love fraiser!

I find this method really useful.
Firstly I review the information, mostly by reading it out loud, like I'm explaining a topic to someone.
Then I take a break, come on here whatever.
Then from whatever I recall from my review session, I type it up on Microsoft Powerpoint. If I've forgotten anything, I go back to look at it give myself a few seconds- not only to memorise it but to understand it, as the reason why I usually forget things is due to lack of understanding- and then I type it up.
I also look around the topic, even if it's just going on google and searching for pictures to do with the topic, I like to get a mental image of what's going on, and I put those in my powerpoint.
And for future reference, I will look back at my powerpoint, to get an overview of the topic.
This is a new method I'm trying and it's proving VERY useful.
I also read around the topic to gain background knowledge, and I'm A2 by the way.
Reply 10
Have you tried revising from the learning objectives/ specification-
I find it really useful because you learn exactly what you need, nothing more and nothing less :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Phil Dunphy

Hello Phil,

How you should revise is a personal matter. The key is to try many different methods and then cultivate the methods which work for you.

What you should avoid is the attitude of "well I didn't revise at all and got 90%". Revision is about bringing all the past knowledge you acquired to the front of your brain and there are a number of tricks for that.

I do a maths degree so it's predominantly about doing questions, but there are other ways of jolting your brain. Watching relevant material and making notes on it is one way. Flash cards, mind maps and past papers are another.

You really just have to try things out and see. One thing I do recommend is that whatever you use should be highly stimulating as you seem to be quickly disengaged, so anything with a fair amount of physical activity seems ideal.

More advice can be found here.

All the best.

Darren

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending