The Student Room Group

I'm introverted AND have no people skills..

I currently work two part-time jobs. I'm absolutely fine with one, it involves working with children and am able to adequately engage with them. However, in my retail job I find myself constantly scrutinised because of my lack of people skills. My manager said if I achieve one more low review, we're going to 'Have a meeting' aka get fired.

Has anyone got any tips on how to talk more to people? And save a conversation if the other person doesn't make the effort
Reply 1
Original post by und3niable_
I currently work two part-time jobs. I'm absolutely fine with one, it involves working with children and am able to adequately engage with them. However, in my retail job I find myself constantly scrutinised because of my lack of people skills. My manager said if I achieve one more low review, we're going to 'Have a meeting' aka get fired.

Has anyone got any tips on how to talk more to people? And save a conversation if the other person doesn't make the effort

I work in retail too and I understand how hard it can be when you are shy because every customer is different and sometimes it is quite awkward! The company I work for gets mystery shopped every so often and recently its been a shift from developing quick service to developing a relationship with the customers, which is difficult!
THe basics like smiling and greeting a customer can make them feel at ease, obviously you spend a short amount of time with a customer so it isnt appropriate to have a lengthy conversation, but even make comments about the weather, like I live in Northern Ireland and we had a lot of snow recently so that was a major taking point! Or even silly stuff like this is very popular, or its on sale at the minute can create a conversation.
Basically, don't harrass a customer but don't say as little as possible because that can make it very awkward and give a negative opinion of the store.
Reply 2
Original post by KerryF94
I work in retail too and I understand how hard it can be when you are shy because every customer is different and sometimes it is quite awkward! The company I work for gets mystery shopped every so often and recently its been a shift from developing quick service to developing a relationship with the customers, which is difficult!
THe basics like smiling and greeting a customer can make them feel at ease, obviously you spend a short amount of time with a customer so it isnt appropriate to have a lengthy conversation, but even make comments about the weather, like I live in Northern Ireland and we had a lot of snow recently so that was a major taking point! Or even silly stuff like this is very popular, or its on sale at the minute can create a conversation.
Basically, don't harrass a customer but don't say as little as possible because that can make it very awkward and give a negative opinion of the store.

Thankyou I'll try that :smile:
Reply 3
Ask for specifics when they give you criticism. Although some jobs require more people skills than others, most jobs require some people skills. Not to mention, life require people skills. So it's only a matter of improving them.

I am also an introverted person in the sense that I can fade out into my own world. I have even done so at a job interview. I have stilled worked in high end retails, dealing with sales and customer service quite successfully.
Being introverted just means you get energy from being on your own and become exhausted from too much social contact. It has nothing to do with being shy or socially untrained.
If you struggle with how to receive customers, just remember to smile as much as you can, keep and open body language, good posture and ask questions. But it's difficult to say without knowing you so again, ask your boss for specifics.
Reply 4
Original post by und3niable_

how do you get 'reviewed'? :s-smilie:
Reply 5
What I did was I basically put on a 'front', so even if I didn't feel comfortable about the situation I faked confidence.

Just look at your colleagues and imitate them. You'll soon find you slip into almost an alternate personality which comes across as bubbly and confident.

I've been doing it so long that I actually am that person now, but it helped initially :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6
Original post by Millie228
Ask for specifics when they give you criticism.

Yeah, really dislike social contact/love being alone but at the same time want to go out and do more things. It's literally so irritating..and it's because I don't 'Smile' or 'Engage' enough. I guess all I can do is work on it, not a naturally smiley person but I'll have to be unless I quit

Original post by Jack93o
how do you get 'reviewed'? :s-smilie:

My manager stands behind us slyly filling in score sheets:rolleyes:

Original post by Alarae
What I did was I basically put on a 'front', so even if I didn't feel comfortable about the situation I faked confidence.

Just look at your colleagues and imitate them. You'll soon find you slip into almost an alternate personality which comes across as bubbly and confident.

I've been doing it so long that I actually am that person now, but it helped initially :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thanks, yeah I've noticed myself watching my colleagues and copying their actions adjusting it to my personality. In general I'm not a very conversational person so it's difficult to make all this effort:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending