The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MENDACIUM
They are all fantastic tbh. I just wanted to dispell the notion that it's oxbridge or nothing.

Fair enough - different uni's have their strengths and weaknesses, fairly important to recognise them :tongue:

Original post by Jordan-James
On here, i think its pretty easy do determine who's been to oxbridge or not.

They tend to say, 'I feel' and 'However' a heck a lot in their paragraphs of text.

This is my opinion, i do feel they try to patronize others on here, 'However' 'I Feel' it's just natural to them.

I feel like you're taking the mick, however I'm not entirely sure :tongue:

They tend to say, 'I feel' and 'However' a heck a lot in their paragraphs of text.

This is my opinion, i do feel they try to patronize others on here, 'However' 'I Feel' it's just natural to them.

Why would it be natural?
As TLG said I experience much more inverse-snobbery on here than anything else
Original post by ttreb
I know here on TSR that going against Oxbridge is a battle already lost.

I just want to see the general perception of Oxbridge students. Do you think they are prejudice upon us who do not attend?

None of the Oxbridge (mostly Ox) that I know are open about it. I'd not be surprised either way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
At Oxford we definitely look down on those from Cambridge... especially round the time of the boat-race.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by wibletg
Fair enough - different uni's have their strengths and weaknesses, fairly important to recognise them :tongue:

I feel like you're taking the mick, however I'm not entirely sure :tongue:

Brilliant!
Reply 26
Original post by Blutooth
At Oxford we definitely look down on those from Cambridge. Dirty tabs, pfft.

GDBO.
Reply 27
At Oxford we definitely look down on those from Cambridge... especially round the time of the boat-race.

Oxford prefer the Surrey Station... if you know what i mean :wink:
Original post by halbeth
I know the man above, and know the people to whom he refers! It's all true. They're lovely lovely!

Seriously, once you get to a certain point people realise there's not all that much in it. People can flourish anywhere *shrug*

Dude where have you been. I've not seen you round

Text text text text text I feel text text. However, text text text text text I feel text text, I feel text text; however text, however I feel, text text I feel text text text text text. I feel text text however I feel text text text text I feel text text however text I feel text text text I feel text text. However text text text text text I feel text text - however text text text text text I feel text text. Naturally.

But don't worry your pretty little head about it, dear.

Spoiler

Original post by koalagate
text text text text text i feel text text. However, text text text text text i feel text text, i feel text text; however text, however i feel, text text i feel text text text text text. I feel text text however i feel text text text text i feel text text however text i feel text text text i feel text text. However text text text text text i feel text text - however text text text text text i feel text text. Naturally.

But don't worry your pretty little head about it, dear.

Spoiler

begone, knave!
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

In my experience, most Oxbridge students don't look down upon others. On the other hand, there is quite a lot of inverse snobbery towards Oxbridge students :s-smilie:

Agreed about the not looking down part, but to be fair, there's also a certain amount of public fawning over Oxbridge students - I think there's a mix of admiration and jealousy in it, even in the reverse snobbery of looking down on Oxbridge, there's a hint of admiring. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)

Lol. They sometimes manage to win the Goat Race.
Reply 33
Simply it would vary from person to person. On the whole though I would suspect that most don't think this. I think most people at these institutions would be able to see that they themselves may be better at something than most people, but everyone has there weaknesses and strengths.
It's interesting the way 'Oxbridge' gets singled out for discussions like this though. I mean, surely students at Imperial, UCL, LSE, Durham, Warwick, etc, feel the odd twinge of superiority from time to time?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's interesting the way 'Oxbridge' gets singled out for discussions like this though. I mean, surely students at Imperial, UCL, LSE, Durham, Warwick, etc, feel the odd twinge of superiority from time to time?

I think any student who goes to the non ex-poly in their uni's city has felt it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As a member of the elite Woxbridge group (for those among you unfamiliar with the common contraction, it is short for Warwick, Cambridge and Oxford, although I believe this phrase will become obsolete once Oxford and Cambridge are re-branded as Warwick's southern and eastern campuses respectively), I have to say that no, I don't tend to look down on members of inferior institutions. I do however, expect that students attending such universities look up to me as an inspiration; a shining example of academic brilliance that they can aspire to equal through hard work.

To anybody posting a reply to this comment, there's no need to shower me in praise for my achievements. Simply addressing my as "your excellence" will suffice.
Reply 37
Dont think they're should be any stigma between universities anybody going to university and trying to better themselves deserves a pat on the back. Much better than anyone who is a sixth form drop out who depends entirely on the dole for an existance
Original post by JayTeeKay

To anybody posting a reply to this comment, there's no need to shower me in praise for my achievements. Simply addressing my as "your excellence" will suffice.

We will try so terribly hard to restrain ourselves. :rolleyes:

I thought 'Woxbridge' was over anyway, hasn't it been determined by exhaustive research that there is no scientific validity to the concept?
When I'm at uni next year, I'll look down on anyone attending an institution ranked lower than mine (Warwick hopefully!) on the Guardian's ranking.

edit: this post was a joke you humourless *noun plural*
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending