The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sharp910sh
Its not a combined bachelor and master in that respect. Its still an undergraduate degree with a year placement, hence 5 years.

First year is a walk in the park. But keep it up. It only gets harder.

I know, I'm a third year :wink:
Personally, I would be very annoyed with myself if I got a 2:2, because I am aiming for a First and know (or at least hope! :colondollar:) I am capable of attaining it. However, my good friend achieved a 2:2 and I was very pleased for her (as she also was) because that was what she was aiming for. So it just depends on what you wanted in the first place.
(edited 11 years ago)
Most people do not even get to university, and to get a 2:2, there is no shame in getting it and if you tried your very hardest you can walk out of university with your head held high. A First does not mean you are guaranteed a job, far from it I personally know someone who has a First from Cambridge and is unemployed.

Just because one got into Cambridge does not mean they are intelligent 2-3 years into their degree. If they are getting low marks while their peers are getting high marks, something is not right. You cannot just brag about the university.

Yes, those getting the low marks are less able than those getting the high marks. That doesn't mean that they aren't intelligent - just less so than the rest of their year group.

The fact that apparantly only people who "do no work" in Sheffield Engineering get a 2.2 is rather concerning.
Original post by Mrx123
The thing is I'm doing a degree in Drama and you don't even need a degree to become an actor...I have Aspergers as well and im constantly told that most people didn't even think I could get into University so getting in was quite big for me.

Everyone else in my family who has been to Uni has got a 2.1 and I got a 2.1 in my first year but so far in my second year I have only got a 58 in a group presentation...we all got marked as a group...one girl in my group left it til the last minute and rushed her work.

I always try my hardest and I am aiming for a 2.1

You really need to stop obsessing over this. This is about the third, if not fourth, time I've seen you making these kinds of threads. Just do your absolute best. Then that way whatever happens, you know you could not have asked more of yourself.

58 in one group presentation (does it even count towards your degree?) does not mean you are destined for a 2.2 overall.

Try and relax a little :smile:
I wouldn't be proud of a 2:2. I'd actually be quite disappointed if I tried my best and only managed to achieve that. I'm on track for a 2:1, which I'm not proud about either as it is the most common classification, however it's good enough for the jobs I'm interested in, whereas most automatically reject a 2:2.
Reply 66
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You really need to stop obsessing over this. This is about the third, if not fourth, time I've seen you making these kinds of threads. Just do your absolute best. Then that way whatever happens, you know you could not have asked more of yourself.

58 in one group presentation (does it even count towards your degree?) does not mean you are destined for a 2.2 overall.

Try and relax a little :smile:

oh ik i need to stop obssesin lol believe me

thank you :smile:
No. I didn't go to many lectures/tutorials last year and I just scraped a 2:2 still, even without revising for some of my exams. And I do law so I must be capable of better than that if I actually study.

Shame I haven't applied this lesson to this year...
If I really had done my best, then I'd be happy with anything; but to be totally honest with yous, I would still feel like I could have done better..
Reply 69
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Yes, those getting the low marks are less able than those getting the high marks. That doesn't mean that they aren't intelligent - just less so than the rest of their year group.

The fact that apparantly only people who "do no work" in Sheffield Engineering get a 2.2 is rather concerning.

Structural engineering is simple. To me anyways.
Reply 70
No, because I know I am capable of better. But surely this differs between people? For some just being at university represents the hard work they put in. For others it would mean they slacked.
Reply 71
No I'd be disappointed with that, having paid £30k to study for it.
Reply 72
Well they are not up for Cambridge then.

You have absolutely no idea about the difference in standards between institutions.
Reply 73
Original post by Nichrome
You have absolutely no idea about the difference in standards between institutions.

Nor do you, unless you have been to both universities. Most grad schemes ask for minimum 2.2, does not matter if you go to Cambridge or oxford, they will not consider you. So enjoy your 2.2 at your university.
Reply 74
I'd rather do better, however if I worked hard and got a 2:2, I'd be proud of it. If I did nothing for the whole course and got a 2:2, then I'd a) be extremely lucky to even get that, and b) not be proud of it because I'd know that I could've done a lot better.
to be honest, i dont think i would - id be disappointed at myself but at least its not a complete fail there are still options

i want a first anything lower than a high 2.1 (just missing a first) and i think id be pissed off at myself
Reply 76
I got a 2.2, having worked hard for about 2.5yrs out of the four year course. I practically didn't attend university for the first year and a half however, so given this and extenuating circumstances I did ok to miss out on a 2.1 by just one exam question in the end. I also suffered from significant mental health problems which caused me to do things that put me at a huge disadvantage in 2nd year.

Given the considerable variation in difficulty of degrees depending on institution studied, subjects chosen, modules chosen etc a 2.2 doesn't mean your worse than everyone who has a 2.1. I would rather be a high 2.2 Oxford graduate in pure maths or theoretical physics than a first from Bangor in Politics and Finance.
Reply 77
Original post by mbbx5va2
I got a 2.2, having worked hard for about 2.5yrs out of the four year course. I practically didn't attend university for the first year and a half however, so given this and extenuating circumstances I did ok to miss out on a 2.1 by just one exam question in the end. I also suffered from significant mental health problems which caused me to do things that put me at a huge disadvantage in 2nd year.

Given the considerable variation in difficulty of degrees depending on institution studied, subjects chosen, modules chosen etc a 2.2 doesn't mean your worse than everyone who has a 2.1. I would rather be a high 2.2 Oxford graduate in pure maths or theoretical physics than a first from Bangor in Politics and Finance.

Lol, why did you have to say Bangor, there are worse unis out there (though admittedly judging by its slide down the rankings since I started probably not many:redface:)

But its an extreme comparison, yes a well respected subject at one of the best institutions in the world would be better than a first in a commonly taken course at lowly ranked uni, but surely a better comparison would be a 2.2 from Oxford and a 2.1 from a Russell Group uni, in which case I'd be interested to see who would be considered the better candidate for a job.
Reply 78
Original post by Chief Wiggum

imo that's pretty much the way it pans out. It's more of a test of working consistently than of intelligence.

Not doing the work isn't always 'slacking', people run into other problems like depression or mental health trouble, family bereavement etc can knock you back a class or 2 in no time. Quite often ime people just get really fed up of being on the course after 3 or 4 years and let themselves tail off.

Tbh you can pretty much spot who's done >1 year undergrad on these threads by the amount they expect to be able to sail through uni because they got good A levels without breaking much of a sweat.
My mum got a 2:2 and is very proud of it. She studied English at a low ranked uni but considering she only had a handful of GCSEs and no a levels I think she did really well. The fact that she outperformed people on her course who had come straight from a levels made her really proud. She worked incredibly hard and was on to get a 3rd but her dissertation pulled her up.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Latest