The Student Room Group

MPhil in Management - University of Cambridge 2013-2014

Hey all,

I wanted to start a thread specifically for those who are applying or have already applied for the MPhil in Management at Cambridge, as I couldn't find one on the site. I applied for the course late November and I am still 'under consideration by department'. Is this the case with anyone else as well? Or has anyone passed this stage? Has anyone been accepted? Please share any info you may have .

Thanks in advance !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I applied early October and until now is under consideration too. I know that the JBS started to give out offers not in management but in finance, and MOTI. I don't really now whats wrong with us :-(

P.S. Do you mind to tell me your background?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Good luck, guys! I knew a lot of people in this program when I was in Cambridge for my MPhil last year. Sounds like a great program!
Reply 3
I applied before Christmas, hope my chances won't be too slim.. As far as I know, they are collecting all the applications until February and will then start to chronologically review them. Early applicants will thus have an advantage, because they'll be on the top of the pile. But you shouldn't expect a decision before March.
Reply 4
Thanks bluesocks. You seem to know a bit about the process - just stuff you've read online? Do you know anything about the acceptance rate? I'm really curious what my chances are. Also, please share a bit of your background if you feel like it. Cheers.
Reply 6
Hi everyone,

I have a question related to the course.

Here is the situation: I just received an offer from Cambridge for International Relations.
However, I recently became more and more interested in management. I'm still interested in international relations and plan to do a PhD in it as some point in my life, but currently, I'm REALLY passionate about business and management.

Thus, I'm now considering applying to their MPhil. But I'm wondering: they say they strongly recommend to apply before December, although the official deadline is in February and apparently the funding deadline (which I'll need) is at the end of this month. So I'm wondering: is there a point in still applying to this course or not (also: they recommend you take a GMAT but I didn't take it)? I don't want to work on an application, pay the fee and bother my professors to write me a recommendation if it is basically pointless to apply to the course.

Thanks for your input!
Reply 7
So, any other applicants for this programme this year? Guess we'll hear back from Adcom within the next few weeks..
Reply 8
Yea hopefully in a month they will have made their decisions, but they are notorious for taking a long time.
Reply 9
Any idea if they send out the admits in batches or all together once they are done with the selection process?
Reply 10
I dont believe that they cant teach organizational skills in the same time that they cant manage about 370 application. I completed 5 months of waiting. This us ridiculous. Personally i will wait until 6/3 (this is the deadline from UCL).

Anyone with status change? Anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by virtsou
I dont believe that they cant teach organizational skills in the same time that they cant manage about 370 application. I completed 5 months of waiting. This us ridiculous. Personally i will wait until 6/3 (this is the deadline from UCL).

Anyone with status change? Anything?

Why do you persist in complaining about waiting when the FAQ states clearly that you shouldn't expect to hear anything until the end of March?

http://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/programmes/mphil_management/faqs.html

It seems pretty obvious that they want to assess the bulk of applications before making decisions.
Reply 12
Just out of curiosity: did you guys also upload a CV? It wasn't listed in the programme's entry in the qualifications directory and somewhere in the general FAQs it was said that any documents not listed won't be considered in the selection process.
Reply 13
Original post by bluesocks-
Just out of curiosity: did you guys also upload a CV? It wasn't listed in the programme's entry in the qualifications directory and somewhere in the general FAQs it was said that any documents not listed won't be considered in the selection process.

As far as I remember, all the information that you had to fill out was stuff that you would typically include in a CV (Eg - awards won, work exp etc. etc.). So I don't think you had to attach a CV separately. And also, I don't remember uploading my CV anywhere. Btw, what part of the application are you exactly referring to?
Hi there!

Im also still in the "under consideration by the department" stage..

Still, I'm pretty sure my chances are non-existent lol. The admissions rate is depressingly low!!
Reply 15
Original post by ce303ce303
Hi there!

Im also still in the "under consideration by the department" stage..

Still, I'm pretty sure my chances are non-existent lol. The admissions rate is depressingly low!!

Have faith ce303ce303. Until you don't get an official rejection, you're always in the fray :smile:
Original post by redhavoc
Have faith ce303ce303. Until you don't get an official rejection, you're always in the fray :smile:

haha. well.. thanks :wink:
Reply 17
Original post by redhavoc
As far as I remember, all the information that you had to fill out was stuff that you would typically include in a CV (Eg - awards won, work exp etc. etc.). So I don't think you had to attach a CV separately. And also, I don't remember uploading my CV anywhere. Btw, what part of the application are you exactly referring to?

What do you mean by "what part"? Anyway, to me the things asked in the online application were quite basic, there was i.e. no additional space to elaborate on one's achievements or responsibilities during internships/part-time jobs etc. I mean one could have included it in one of those answer fields for the 3 questions, but well.

Adcom also once told me that academic performance would be "the most important selection criterion above all else", but I think the website already implicates that. Wondering whether people who do not meet the GPA requirements still apply, tho.

BTW looking at last year's thread it seems like people got responses as early as end of February. I for one am still at the department stage..
(edited 11 years ago)
Never done an internship and don't have any work experience.. Do you think that counts a lot?
Reply 19
Original post by bluesocks-
What do you mean by "what part"? Anyway, to me the things asked in the online application were quite basic, there was i.e. no additional space to elaborate on one's achievements or responsibilities during internships/part-time jobs etc. I mean one could have included it in one of those answer fields for the 3 questions, but well.

Adcom also once told me that academic performance would be "the most important selection criterion above all else", but I think the website already implicates that. Wondering whether people who do not meet the GPA requirements still apply, tho.

BTW looking at last year's thread it seems like people got responses as early as end of February. I for one am still at the department stage..

I meant to ask whether you were referring to a specific page in the application or not. For example, in Imperial's MSc Management application, there is a separate page where you upload your CV. Anyways, I agree with you that there was no space to elaborate one's achievements. Even the answers for the three questions had pretty strict word limits, which made it difficult to really expound any of the ideas that I had. Btw, I am an international applicant and my university calculates GPA on a scale of 10. Wonder how they convert it to a 4 scale, if they convert it at all..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending