The Student Room Group

OCR Additional Maths

My additional maths exam is on June (on the same day as my gcse biology as well :frown::frown::frown:) but I'm doing past papers on it and stuff but I've been searching the grade boundaries for it but they all just say for an A its like 70% or something and not the actual mark u'd need for it. I know the grade boundaries change slightly every year but I really need an approximate mark for an A for each year instead of as a whole. e.g the mark which was needed for an A in 2012, in 2011, in 2010, etc. Plz help???
Reply 1
Original post by DonaJ
My additional maths exam is on June (on the same day as my gcse biology as well :frown::frown::frown:) but I'm doing past papers on it and stuff but I've been searching the grade boundaries for it but they all just say for an A its like 70% or something and not the actual mark u'd need for it. I know the grade boundaries change slightly every year but I really need an approximate mark for an A for each year instead of as a whole. e.g the mark which was needed for an A in 2012, in 2011, in 2010, etc. Plz help???

I did this last year, in the earlier years the grade boundaries are in the examiner's reports. Otherwise I'm not sure. :s-smilie: I know the grade boundaries are always pretty low - in the order of what you said.
In the 2011 paper (my mock) the boundary was set at 70.
Lol I had a 2 hour physics paper which led straight into the add. maths paper, so don't worry about that :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by DonaJ

See attached.

Grade Boundaries.jpg

2012: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2082776
Oooh, is this the OCR Additional Maths as in the FSMQ??
Reply 4
Original post by The_Dragonborn
Oooh, is this the OCR Additional Maths as in the FSMQ??

Yes
Original post by joostan
Yes

Cool, I'm doing this is as well. Anyone here going to do A-level Maths as well?
Reply 6
Cool, I'm doing this is as well. Anyone here going to do A-level Maths as well?

Doing it plus FM :smile:
Original post by joostan

Damn FM sounded like hard work - I considered it but opted out in the end. What will be your chosen module (Statistics, Mechanics, Decision Maths) or have you not decided yet?

I'm doing Statistics, as it is supposed to go well with Biology A-level which I'm also doing, and I already like statistics so I should enjoy it a little.
Reply 8
I'm doing this and doing Maths A-Level as well. How are you guys finding the course?
Reply 9
Damn FM sounded like hard work - I considered it but opted out in the end. What will be your chosen module (Statistics, Mechanics, Decision Maths) or have you not decided yet?

I'm doing Statistics, as it is supposed to go well with Biology A-level which I'm also doing, and I already like statistics so I should enjoy it a little.

I'm doing C1-4; M1-3; S1-2 and FP1-3 Plus if I do Ad. FM AS I'll do M4 and S3-4.
Reply 10

Omg thank u so much!
Reply 11
Original post by joostan

I wanna study medicine but I also like maths so should I pick FM or physics? Cuz I've heard FM is pretty difficult...?
Reply 12
Original post by DonaJ
I wanna study medicine but I also like maths so should I pick FM or physics? Cuz I've heard FM is pretty difficult...?

There's not that much maths in Physics :s-smilie: I suggest that you take the FM AS, most universities advise medical candidates not to take Full FM. I was planning to study medicine but switched to maths. If you're definite you want to do medicine, take FM AS if not take the full FM and then drop it if you need to :smile:
I'm sitting this and I heard from my teacher that the grade boundaries are ridiculously low for an A (like 60%) :smile: Does anyone know where I could get some past papers from? I need to do some, I'm struggling understanding what the questions are asking me to do and how to interpret them:s-smilie:
Reply 14
Original post by Sean Robinson
I'm sitting this and I heard from my teacher that the grade boundaries are ridiculously low for an A (like 60%) :smile: Does anyone know where I could get some past papers from? I need to do some, I'm struggling understanding what the questions are asking me to do and how to interpret them:s-smilie:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/free-standing-maths-qualification-fsmq-additional-mathematics-6993/
Post in the Maths forum or PM me if you get stuck. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by joostan
There's not that much maths in Physics :s-smilie: I suggest that you take the FM AS, most universities advise medical candidates not to take Full FM. I was planning to study medicine but switched to maths. If you're definite you want to do medicine, take FM AS if not take the full FM and then drop it if you need to :smile:

Yeh I need to do something like that...my dads a maths teacher so he's keen on me to take FM but yeah...I don't know amma wait until I finish my gcses to make a proper decision

Quick Reply

Latest