The Student Room Group

Is History the most pointless subject to do a degree in?

Scroll to see replies

Another standard thread about someone with a science boner superiority complex.. move along nothing to see here.
Original post by Savvy Sage
Is that not akin to comparing someone who got a 1st class in Maths with a 2nd class in Maths? They both have the same knowledge/skill base except one is better at applying those skills?

No. Perhaps you've misunderstood what I mean.

I'm asking if the skills mentioned (research, organisation) can be learned from any essay-based subject.

Your response leads me to believe that you view history degrees as bestowing greater research and organisation skills to graduates than a media degree.

I am of the opinion that you have to do research and organise yourself for pretty much every degree. Do you believe that history is different in some way?
Original post by LordVoldemort1
...Aaaaaand half the people answering are doing history degrees. :jiggy:

Surely that stands to reason? They're going to be the most informed on discussing the utility of history as an academic pursuit.
Reply 23
History is a beautiful subject, one of my favourites. It allows us to examin why things today are . It allows us to learn from the best - be it as a warning or as something that has worked. And above all, it enhances the human experience, where we can look back in time and appreciate how things were. I respect people who do degree's in history.
Original post by ilickbatteries
Can't those skills be gained from almost any essay-based degree subject, though? Not saying that you're saying you must do a history degree to learn such skills, but people tend to rubbish degrees like Media Studies when the exact same skill-set is used with different knowledge.

Like I said, it's not just History.

I expect that a Media Studies student would have a higher proficiency in computers and photo/video editing software, than the average graduate. I can navigate my way around Sony Vegas Pro but I'm sure a MS grad would have the edge.
Reply 25
I had a conversation with a barrister recently. He told me that as a part of History at degree level you scrutinise source's in a similar way to how a barrister will scrutinise legal evidence, a very employable skill that most degree's don't offer.
So the guy who started this thread also started another arguing that African Americans should be grateful for slavery... tells you about all you need to know!
Original post by EloiseStar
Like I said, it's not just History.

I expect that a Media Studies student would have a higher proficiency in computers and photo/video editing software, than the average graduate. I can navigate my way around Sony Vegas Pro but I'm sure a MS grad would have the edge.

I know. I wasn't accusing you, I said that in my post.
Reply 28
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
Sure, I'm biased as a history applicant, but I see it as way more useful than most sciences.

That is without a doubt the stupidest thing I have ever read. Ever.

Ever.
Reply 29
May I ask - what employer-related skills do you gain from a history degree?

More than Sociology, for sure.
Reply 30
Original post by RtGOAT
How do you know its wrong? Were you there?

Because it uses outdated scholarship. I don't know I'm right, but that's a very different thing to knowing when something is wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Franks#Early_history

Example:

This article uses an article by Henry Howarth (1884) to argue that the Franks were settled intentionally by the Roman Empire in Toxandria. The very passage from Ammianus Marcellinus (a Roman historian relatively contemporary to the events that transpired) that Howarth uses to claim this states

'And when all his preparations were made, [the Emperor Julian] first marched against the Franks… who some time before had ventured with great boldness to fix their habitations on the Roman soil near Toxandria.'

Quite the opposite of what Howarth argues it to mean. That's down to interpretation, but for Howarth it depends on his perspective on the history of the period from a particular viewpoint (the traditional 'Germanic invasions brought down the Empire' view - something a lot of scholars now very much dispute).

The point is you can rely on wikipedia for an reliable representation of history about as much as you can The Daily Mail for support of the Welfare state.

If you just accept the facts as they're given from one source you're not going to get very far in STEM subjects either, so good luck!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
I think History of Art is useless.
Reply 32
Original post by BC95
I had a conversation with a barrister recently. He told me that as a part of History at degree level you scrutinise source's in a similar way to how a barrister will scrutinise legal evidence, a very employable skill that most degree's don't offer.

You learn how to scrutinize source material in many subjects, incidentally as skill which is also very prevalent in the science.
Original post by RtGOAT
You're argument is stupid.

Anyone who can read can learn just as much, and then some, as a history grad.

The same cannot be said of a STEM subject, sure it maybe possible to learn it off the internet but it is a damn sight harder then simply reading. Not to mention any job in a STEM field would require a relevant degree. A history degree would only be a requisite to become a professor and in doing so the worthless cylce goes on.

Poppy cock. So you don't get online courses in STEM subjects? Are you telling me all the people who are the forefront of their chosen discipline use the knowledge they gained from their degree? Are you telling me Shinichi Mochizuk used simple analysis to solve the abc conjecture which required the invention of entirely new concepts to solve? You're funny.
Reply 34
Original post by EonBlueApocalypse
Another standard thread about someone with a science boner superiority complex.. move along nothing to see here.

I'm not a science student.

Could I learn the content of a history degree using the internet in my room? Yes.

Could I find a cure for cancer using the internet in my room? No.

Science is far more useful.
Reply 35
I'd like to add I'm not arguing for the merit of history over STEM subjects or anything like that, simply that the OP's argument is fairly invalid.
Original post by Rybee
More than Sociology, for sure.

Fantastic reply.

Could you answer the actual question though? That'd be grand.

I'm not trying to belittle yourself, your subject or history students at large. I'd just like to know what employment skills you think history students gain, which can be applied in the real world of work.

I believe it is a common misconception that a degree teaches you work-skills unless you do a degree that is specifically orientated towards a particular career.

For example, a mathematics degree teaches many skills that are specifically used by a number of jobs. As does physics, and chemistry, and biology, etc.

Essay based subjects tend to be variations on the 'research this topic, write an essay about it, do exams at the end of the year' model and don't really set you up for any job in particular.

I could be wrong but I can't think of a single fairly common job that history teaches specific skills for (with the exception of teaching history, of course!)
Reply 37
Original post by RtGOAT
I'm not a science student.

Could I learn the content of a history degree using the internet in my room? Yes.

Could I find a cure for cancer using the internet in my room? No.

Science is far more useful.

As someone who knows people who mark the history papers at York I can guarantee: you rely on wikipedia alone for a history degree and you will get at best a 3rd, if not a fail.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
Fantastic reply.

Could you answer the actual question though? That'd be grand.

I'm not trying to belittle yourself, your subject or history students at large. I'd just like to know what employment skills you think history students gain, which can be applied in the real world of work.

I believe it is a common misconception that a degree teaches you work-skills unless you do a degree that is specifically orientated towards a particular career.

For example, a mathematics degree teaches many skills that are specifically used by a number of jobs. As does physics, and chemistry, and biology, etc.

Essay based subjects tend to be variations on the 'research this topic, write an essay about it, do exams at the end of the year' model and don't really set you up for any job in particular.

I could be wrong but I can't think of a single fairly common job that history teaches specific skills for (with the exception of teaching history, of course!)

I study Law, at Masters level.

Direct this at someone who studies History, they'll be able to inform you better than myself...
What a stupid discussion. People who post this kind of rubbish don't know what a History degree entails.

Also this tedious A DEGREE MUST GIVE YOU SPECIFIC JOB SKILLS attitude is pretty grating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending