The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ttreb
I know here on TSR that going against Oxbridge is a battle already lost.

I just want to see the general perception of Oxbridge students. Do you think they are prejudice upon us who do not attend?

Not sure what you mean when you say "going against Oxbridge is a battle already lost" - reading back through past threads, there is plenty of criticism of Oxbridge in different ways.

On your main point, the truthful answer is that it is not universal or even widespread, but there are feelings of superiority and some "looking down" amongst some students at Oxford, if that's what you mean by "prejudice". (I can't speak for Cambridge directly, but from what I know, it's probably about the same.) It's particularly a first year thing, when you first get to the place you can feel pretty pleased with yourself for your achievement and that can sometimes come across as superiority when comparison is made with other universities.

Beyond that, like anywhere, or maybe even more than many places, Oxford is something of a bubble and the subject of other institutions doesn't come up all that often. I would say though that there is a general sense of being "the best" or at least "amongst the best". Of course, there are also chronic feelings of envy directed toward Cambridge. (joke)

It's hard to be more concrete than that - people don't go around all day being madly superior about where they are, there is work to be done, places to be, people to see. :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by tooambitious
Split into what? I don't understand :confused:, away from UCAS? Split into Ox and Bridge an nobody can again utter the term?

Oxford and Cambrige needs to be split . We should not use 'oxbridge' any more.

They have inherently different ways to select students depending on the paticular course.

So the notion that "If you are good enough for oxford you're good enough for cambridge " is false.

2 years ago, you could have bad a/s marks but great GCSE'S and stand a better chance at oxford, and bad GCSE'S and great a/s ums marks and stand a greater chance at cambridge.
Original post by amineamine2
When I'm at uni next year, I'll look down on anyone attending an institution ranked lower than mine (Warwick hopefully!) on the Guardian's ranking.

What a bellend.
Reply 43
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Not sure what you mean when you say "going against Oxbridge is a battle already lost" - reading back through past threads, there is plenty of criticism of Oxbridge in different ways.

On your main point, the truthful answer is that it is not universal or even widespread, but there are feelings of superiority and some "looking down" amongst some students at Oxford, if that's what you mean by "prejudice". (I can't speak for Cambridge directly, but from what I know, it's probably about the same.) It's particularly a first year thing, when you first get to the place you can feel pretty pleased with yourself for your achievement and that can sometimes come across as superiority when comparison is made with other universities.

Beyond that, like anywhere, or maybe even more than many places, Oxford is something of a bubble and the subject of other institutions doesn't come up all that often. I would say though that there is a general sense of being "the best" or at least "amongst the best". Of course, there are also chronic feelings of envy directed toward Cambridge. (joke)

It's hard to be more concrete than that - people don't go around all day being madly superior about where they are, there is work to be done, places to be, people to see. :smile:

What he means is there is a delusion about Oxford and Cambridge, as good as they are, that they are the be-all and end all, when many universities -depending on particular subjects- are better at oxbridge and more internationally respected.
Many are also arguably par on par.

So we need to remove our tunnel vision , use reason and look at it all from a much more broader angle , rather than appealing to past reputation, hearsay, and popular culture.
Original post by yorkshire.lad
What a bellend.

It was a joke you moron. Some people are clearly blind to sarcasm.
It was a joke you moron. Some people are clearly blind to sarcasm.

It was a good one too, nice and precise. :smile:

I like it that people at Warwick are looking down too, makes one feel that elitism is kind of a growing and developing thing. Bit like Cameron's dream of 'spreading privilege'. Lol.
We will try so terribly hard to restrain ourselves. :rolleyes:

I thought 'Woxbridge' was over anyway, hasn't it been determined by exhaustive research that there is no scientific validity to the concept?

I wholeheartedly agree, which is unfortunately why Oxford and Cambridge must cease to exist and instead become satellite campuses of Warwick. It is a terrible shame that these universities will have to lose their independent identities, but I am sure this is a sacrifice students of both Oxford and Cambridge will be willing to make, so that they too can earn the prestige that a Warwick degree carries.
From then on, Warwick's empire will only continue to expand. I believe the current plan is to finance a military coup in Krgyzstan in order to establish central Asian campuses, with a view to one day providing a facility with which to develop a nuclear weapons programme.
Original post by JayTeeKay

From then on, Warwick's empire will only continue to expand. I believe the current plan is to finance a military coup in Krgyzstan in order to establish central Asian campuses, with a view to one day providing a facility with which to develop a nuclear weapons programme.

If the plan can be shown to be profitable, I'm sure that Warwick will ruthlessly implement it.
It was a good one too, nice and precise. :smile:

I like it that people at Warwick are looking down too, makes one feel that elitism is kind of a growing and developing thing. Bit like Cameron's dream of 'spreading privilege'. Lol.

Thank you, I'm glad someone understood it :smile:

Haha, I think we're starting to catch up with the States in terms of the number of elite universities, which means more internationals with money will come over :biggrin:
It's an uphill struggle though, they've got so many elite institutions :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Thank you, I'm glad someone understood it :smile:

Haha, I think we're starting to catch up with the States in terms of the number of elite universities, which means more internationals with money will come over :biggrin:
It's an uphill struggle though, they've got so many elite institutions :frown:

Is now a good time to mention that in the 2012 QS rankings, Warwick does not even appear in the top 50, unlike Oxbridge, Imperial, Manchester, Durham, UCL, Kings and Bristol? :eek:

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2012
Is now a good time to mention that in the 2012 QS rankings, Warwick does not even appear in the top 50, unlike Oxbridge, Imperial, Manchester, Durham, UCL, Kings and Bristol? :eek:

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2012

Well I wouldn't trust QS. Do they usually not rank UCL above Oxford, Princeton, Stanford etc? Was it QS who ranked them fourth in the world? (I checked after writing this sentence, and yes they did!) UCL is world-leading but...c'mon.
You're right, Warwick went from 50th to 58th. Durham is 92nd though. Well, at least they beat Dartmouth and Rice! King's beat Northwestern, Manchester beat Brown and NYU, Edinburgh beat UC-Berkeley and Bristol beat UCLA.
Warwick did well on specific rankings though. For Law, they were 33rd.
On the employer ranking, Warwick was seventh. Durham, Nottingham, Manchester, Imperial, the LSE and Oxbridge appeared in the top 15.
To conclude, give it another two decades and we shall finally defeat the US as the world's centre of higher education! If we trust QS, ofc.
Why is everyone getting so excited about a bunch of buildings surrounded by fields on the outskirts of Coventry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I'm at Nottingham uni (my little sister is at Birmingham) and our parents met at Cambridge. Other than growing up thinking that everybody's mummy and daddy went to Cambridge, and being unpleasantly surprised when we realised how much work it'd take to do the same, I wouldn't say we were raised any differently than if they'd gone to any other university. They certainly never acted like we were superior or anything, since my dad was from a working class background and the first in his family to go to uni, he doesn't mention Cambridge at all. They were really proud of me and my sister for going to uni, the only issue would have been if we'd applied to Oxford over Cambridge (but old rivalries run deep) :wink:
Well I wouldn't trust QS. Do they usually not rank UCL above Oxford, Princeton, Stanford etc? Was it QS who ranked them fourth in the world? (I checked after writing this sentence, and yes they did!) UCL is world-leading but...c'mon.
You're right, Warwick went from 50th to 58th. Durham is 92nd though. Well, at least they beat Dartmouth and Rice! King's beat Northwestern, Manchester beat Brown and NYU, Edinburgh beat UC-Berkeley and Bristol beat UCLA.
Warwick did well on specific rankings though. For Law, they were 33rd.
On the employer ranking, Warwick was seventh. Durham, Nottingham, Manchester, Imperial, the LSE and Oxbridge appeared in the top 15.
To conclude, give it another two decades and we shall finally defeat the US as the world's centre of higher education! If we trust QS, ofc.

I know, putting Stanford at 15th, c'mon! Essentially it's just a complex of criteria that come out with a ranking that doesn't chime with perceived reality. I also don't really think Bristol ranks above Warwick as a generality, putting course-specifics to one side.
Reply 54
Surely it varies from person to person? I've met people going to Oxbridge who are lovely and don't seem like they look down on anyone who doesn't go there, but I've also met elitist douches who go there too (well, mostly from my college who are accepted there - not there yet, but I imagine that's more to do with my college's elitist atmosphere in general than Oxbridge itself...).
Original post by MENDACIUM
Oxford and Cambrige needs to be split . We should not use 'oxbridge' any more.

They have inherently different ways to select students depending on the paticular course.

So the notion that "If you are good enough for oxford you're good enough for cambridge " is false.

2 years ago, you could have bad a/s marks but great GCSE'S and stand a better chance at oxford, and bad GCSE'S and great a/s ums marks and stand a greater chance at cambridge.

I see, yeah, I agree
Original post by carehow
Surely it varies from person to person? I've met people going to Oxbridge who are lovely and don't seem like they look down on anyone who doesn't go there, but I've also met elitist douches who go there too (well, mostly from my college who are accepted there - not there yet, but I imagine that's more to do with my college's elitist atmosphere in general than Oxbridge itself...).

Ahem. Magdalen? :rolleyes:
Reply 57
yep.
Reply 58
I know 3 Oxbridge students, 2 of them are just normal people, no judgement, the other is pretty up himself. But he was like that long before he went to Oxford.
What is the point of this thread really.

I could argue that people like Einstein, Marie Curie, Kim Ung Yong and Paul Allen (worth 14 billion dollars and scored a perfect 1600 on the SAT) look down on people who"only went to oxbridge" despite never going there.

The point is, I think we should treat others like equals as einstein has quoted

“I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university.”

And

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

Latest

Trending

Trending