The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If I'd tried my best then probably. I'm not going to be proud of the 2.2 I predict for myself at the end of this year...
Reply 81
If i truly could not have tried harder then yes i would be and i think anyone who can hand on heart say to them self that they had done there up most to achieve something should to.

However, I bet there are very few people who get such low marks, who can hand on heart say they did all they could. Putting in more hours study, more hard work and more effort.

I know i'm capable of better than a 2.2 and will achieve more but the fact remains you can only do your best and to beat yourself up after having done your best is rather pointless.
Reply 82
Yes, I would.
Reply 83
Original post by myblueheaven339
My mum got a 2:2 and is very proud of it. She studied English at a low ranked uni but considering she only had a handful of GCSEs and no a levels I think she did really well. The fact that she outperformed people on her course who had come straight from a levels made her really proud. She worked incredibly hard and was on to get a 3rd but her dissertation pulled her up.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Does she have a well paid job?
Original post by sharp910sh
Does she have a well paid job?

Not well paid no. She wanted to work with vulnerable adults, especially after uncle died (he was a schizophrenic) and having no experience in that field she had to start from the bottom. But she was so sure she would never be able to get out of her previous job, her degree gave her a lot of confidence. She only graduated last year, but hopes to move up in her organisation, and she wouldn't have that option if she didn't have her degree.

I wouldn't be happy with a 2:2, but that's just me. I always put way too much pressure on myself to get the highest grades possible.
Reply 86
I had forgotten all about this lol
I would not be proud of a 2:2. If I got one it meant I would have put in next to no work and wasted a great opportunity. I would no be proud even if I had done the work to the best of my ability. I would feel dim.

However, I would be proud if personal circumstances were such that getting any degree were a remarkable achievement (such as overcoming mental health issues).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Olie
Lol, why did you have to say Bangor, there are worse unis out there (though admittedly judging by its slide down the rankings since I started probably not many:redface:)

But its an extreme comparison, yes a well respected subject at one of the best institutions in the world would be better than a first in a commonly taken course at lowly ranked uni, but surely a better comparison would be a 2.2 from Oxford and a 2.1 from a Russell Group uni, in which case I'd be interested to see who would be considered the better candidate for a job.

The 2:1. So often a 2:2 is seen as a waste of time no matter where it is from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd probably kill myself, personally.
Reply 90
Personally, I'd be aiming for a 1st. Even a 2.1 might be a little disappointing for me.
But, if you really have tried your best, and theres not a doubt in your mind that this is the best you can, of course you should be proud. If you feel that you could have done better, you should be a bit disappointed though.
But remember, by going in university and passing, you've already accomplished something.
Reply 91
Not well paid no. She wanted to work with vulnerable adults, especially after uncle died (he was a schizophrenic) and having no experience in that field she had to start from the bottom. But she was so sure she would never be able to get out of her previous job, her degree gave her a lot of confidence. She only graduated last year, but hopes to move up in her organisation, and she wouldn't have that option if she didn't have her degree.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=RubBzkZzpUA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRubBzkZzpUA

You gave me no option

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very funny

Original post by Chief Wiggum
I know some very intelligent people in Cambridge who worked hard and still got a 2.2

I have to come out and back this up. Often people don't realise just how hard it is to get high grades in Cambridge. For example, I'm doing Law, and it's commonly accepted that nobody will ever get above 85% in an essay. That's just the way things are. And I know people struggling to get 2:1s in Cambridge that are far cleverer and more employable than people breezing their way to 1sts elsewhere. Okay, so employers may still view grades the same no matter which institution they're from, but don't knock the amount of work people put in.
Original post by Theflyingbarney
I have to come out and back this up. Often people don't realise just how hard it is to get high grades in Cambridge. For example, I'm doing Law, and it's commonly accepted that nobody will ever get above 85% in an essay. That's just the way things are. And I know people struggling to get 2:1s in Cambridge that are far cleverer and more employable than people breezing their way to 1sts elsewhere. Okay, so employers may still view grades the same no matter which institution they're from, but don't knock the amount of work people put in.

At a lot of unis you'll never break 85 in an essay in Law (or much else, actually). It isn't just limited to Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Very funny

Anytime
Reply 96
nothing wrong with starting from the bottom
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
At a lot of unis you'll never break 85 in an essay in Law (or much else, actually). It isn't just limited to Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've seen you around these kind of threads quite a lot, and I just wondered is it just me?! or does it seem like Oxbridge students seem to spend an awful amount of time on here stressing how hard their degree is in comparison to elsewhere.

Oxbridge is prestigious for a reason, If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!
Original post by LoseSmallWinBig
I've seen you around these kind of threads quite a lot, and I just wondered is it just me?! or does it seem like Oxbridge students seem to spend an awful amount of time on here stressing how hard their degree is in comparison to elsewhere.

Oxbridge is prestigious for a reason, If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!

Haha. I am sure it is more difficult- certainly they do much more work than I did.

I don't think they moan so much but they do like to tell us all how snowed under they all are.

But, yes, they knew what they were letting themselves in for. I have no sympathy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis

But, yes, they knew what they were letting themselves in for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a popular misconception. There is no way of envisaging the workload until you're actually there and it's thrown at you :nah:

Latest