The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MathsNerd1
Okay, so can you do the next part and just out of curiosity which Solomon paper is this question from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

nope i'm literally frozen with question 7 ... well now just part c and d ... and erm paper B
Original post by masryboy94
nope i'm literally frozen with question 7 ... well now just part c and d ... and erm paper B

Okay well what comes to your mind when it says show that the root lies in the interval of [0,1]?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay well what comes to your mind when it says show that the root lies in the interval of [0,1]?

Posted from TSR Mobile

make x=0 and x=1 ? and just out of curiosity is arccos same as cos-1 ​?
make x=0 and x=1 ? and just out of curiosity is arccos same as cos-1 ​?

Well what comes to my mind is that there should be a sign change for the two values provided, so firstly take everything to 1 side and then like you've suggested sub in x=0 and x=1 and yeah arccos=cos^-1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well what comes to my mind is that there should be a sign change for the two values provided, so firstly take everything to 1 side and then like you've suggested sub in x=0 and x=1 and yeah arccos=cos^-1

Posted from TSR Mobile

got it ! :biggrin: but one slight problem when i take it to one side i get (x+2)1/2 - arccos (x-1) = 0, i subbed in 0 to get -1.7 and subbed in 1 to get 0.16 ... however in the mark scheme it says when you sub 0 it should be 1.7 and 1 should be -0.16. why did i get a change of sign from them?
got it ! :biggrin: but one slight problem when i take it to one side i get (x+2)1/2 - arccos (x-1) = 0, i subbed in 0 to get -1.7 and subbed in 1 to get 0.16 ... however in the mark scheme it says when you sub 0 it should be 1.7 and 1 should be -0.16. why did i get a change of sign from them?

Because they had their function the other way round so giving them there answers, you've decided to subtract the arccos function meaning you'll get the opposite signs from what they got but you'll still get the marks as you've said that because there's a change in signs it shows that there is a root in between the interval and also that your function is continuous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because they had their function the other way round so giving them there answers, you've decided to subtract the arccos function meaning you'll get the opposite signs from what they got but you'll still get the marks as you've said that because there's a change in signs it shows that there is a root in between the interval and also that your function is continuous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oo okay brilliant, and i know how to do part d don't worry, thank you so so so much !! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
oo okay brilliant, and i know how to do part d don't worry, thank you so so so much !! :biggrin:

It's alright and I'm just happy to help, plus it's also shown me how much of C3 I can remember as I haven't looked at it since January but I'll be starting up again, if you need anymore help with any questions then don't hesitate to ask me. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

argh just when i though i was done, when i sub in 1 into the iterative formula, i don't get what they get for x1. i get 1.99..., they get 0.83... ?! argh

Are you still in radians on your calculator?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's alright and I'm just happy to help, plus it's also shown me how much of C3 I can remember as I haven't looked at it since January but I'll be starting up again, if you need anymore help with any questions then don't hesitate to ask me. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

argh just when i though i was done, when i sub in 1 into the iterative formula, i don't get why they get 0.83... for x1. i get 1.99...?! argh
Hey guys :smile:

I am in year twelve and currently self teaching C2 and C1 (Took Maths Alevel up in January as I did not like my other subject, so had to self teach)

Anyway, I actually find I learn Maths better via self teaching and using the sources on the internet..

I would quite like to self teach C3 and C4 over the summer to take the pressure off A2 next year! Is it possible to self teach these in 2 months by doing a few hours a day? Maybe 2 hours max? Are they much more difficult than C2?

Are you still in radians on your calculator?

Posted from TSR Mobile

well this is new, im on radian mode on this calculator and its giving me 1.99... i used my other calculator typing in the exact same thing in radian mode and i get the 0.83 ... WEIRD !
well this is new, im on radian mode on this calculator and its giving me 1.99... i used my other calculator typing in the exact same thing in radian mode and i get the 0.83 ... WEIRD !

Have you closed all your brackets correctly? If so then I'm not too sure how that's happened really :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you closed all your brackets correctly? If so then I'm not too sure how that's happened really :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep ive done everything identical, who would of thought that a calculator will make a mistake ! :eek: oo well atleast i know lool ! Thank you so much anyways, good luck with all your exams ! what are you planning to study and where?
Original post by upthegunners
Hey guys :smile:

I am in year twelve and currently self teaching C2 and C1 (Took Maths Alevel up in January as I did not like my other subject, so had to self teach)

Anyway, I actually find I learn Maths better via self teaching and using the sources on the internet..

I would quite like to self teach C3 and C4 over the summer to take the pressure off A2 next year! Is it possible to self teach these in 2 months by doing a few hours a day? Maybe 2 hours max? Are they much more difficult than C2?

Okay well most people say that the jump is quite large but it just depends how strong you are with your Maths and being able to manipulate equations and such, I would say it would take more than 2 months if only going at it for 2 hours a day but that's just my opinion, others might feel differently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yep ive done everything identical, who would of thought that a calculator will make a mistake ! :eek: oo well atleast i know lool ! Thank you so much anyways, good luck with all your exams ! what are you planning to study and where?

Oh, how strange maybe it's in the wrong maths mode? It must be something otherwise I'd take the calculator back or just never use it and I'm glad I could be of some assistance, thanks and best of luck to you too :smile: I'm going to be studying Maths at Warwick next year, hopefully. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 596
Original post by 6vor6kas6
Hey y'all, took these in Jan, both C3 and C4, left the exam room thinking I got something close to 87/100 ums on C3 and something like 77/100ums on C4 and was thinking i'd just need to resit C4 probs, and then i got my results and everything crashed around me :P 63/100 C3 and 42/100 C4. I don't know what the hell happened, I was pretty damn sure of my answers, but i've been studying non stop since i got my results, been doing 1-2 papers a day, I think this is the second time im doing the same papers. Just pitching in my own situation..

Join the club, but I did a little higher in Jan for C3 C4 (B's.....Past is the Past).

Do what I am doing Solomon Press Under Timed Conditions. Mark them rigorously and write down what your getting. The real papers don't test your weaknesses as only like 1/2 questions on the whole papers are hard so for the most part you will be fooling yourself, because you are just doing easy questions.

Have 5/6 Solomon Press done for C3/C4 by 1st May = A* City.

Then start the Real ones, do 2 a week, until 5 days before the Exam do June 2012 and Jan 2013 timed.

All I know is if I do that I will get an A* in Maths. Hence I'm focusing alot of energy on Phys and Chem atm.

We're all gonna make it brah.

Hey did you get help with that question? Or would you like me to do it? I'm sorry I'm a bit late!
Oh, how strange maybe it's in the wrong maths mode? It must be something otherwise I'd take the calculator back or just never use it and I'm glad I could be of some assistance, thanks and best of luck to you too :smile: I'm going to be studying Maths at Warwick next year, hopefully. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

not too sure, im just gonna throw it away and use my other one i guess. ooo nice, now i know why your called mathsnerd :P good luck my man !

Original post by nukethemaly
Hey did you get help with that question? Or would you like me to do it? I'm sorry I'm a bit late!

it's cool, MathsNerd1 helped me out :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

not too sure, im just gonna throw it away and use my other one i guess. ooo nice, now i know why your called mathsnerd :P good luck my man !

Original post by nukethemaly

it's cool, MathsNerd1 helped me out :biggrin:

Quick Reply