The Student Room Group

**The "North Korea Watch 2013" Update Thread**

Scroll to see replies

As far as I understand Japans constitution means it can't actually get involved in this in any capacity other than self defence unless (I assume) someone attacks them. Therefore an attack on Japan would make little sense because instead of damaging an existing enemy force they'd be doing the opposite and adding to their numbers.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by green.tea
As far as I understand Japans constitution means it can't actually get involved in this in any capacity other than self defence unless (I assume) someone attacks them. Therefore an attack on Japan would make little sense because instead of damaging an existing enemy force they'd be doing the opposite and adding to their numbers.

Yep, true. I think NK's main "enemies" are SK especially and then the US (both together), so Japan on a lesser scale and, as you said, they wouldn't want to involve more parties.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/9980762/Evacuate-North-Korea-urges-foreigners-in-latest-thermo-nuclear-war-threat.html

Looks like they're just trying to be disruptive now. Why would they care about foreigners in SK? I wonder if thats why its being played down, in order to minimise the disruption NK can cause with statements like this. Although would China want the economy to be disrupted more than the US? They seem to have come through the financial crisis ok. Could creating war fears be something to do with sabotaging the economic recovery or something like that. Economists?

Pyongyang has shown no sign of preparing its 1.2 million-strong army for war, indicating the threats could be partly intended for domestic purposes to bolster Kim jong-un, 30, the third in his family to lead the reclusive country.

Tho I do think this may be misleading. From what we hear it seems NK's military is at battle stations all the time so "no troop movement" and "no preparing for war" doesn't equate to their not being in position and prepared for war. It speaks specifically of NK's 1.2 million strong army with no mention of what the 8.2 million reservists are doing and speaks of what the information it provides indicates, not what the totality of the situation indicates.
(edited 11 years ago)
Most of North Korea's military is forward deployed, so short of an all out attack, there are no 'big signs' to say the NK military is ready or on stand-down. Like all forces in the peninsula, most are 'at ready' at any given time.
Reply 524
Original post by green.tea

They are a poodle satellite state of the great imperial devil, so are by default an enemy of the DPRK. They don't think about it in terms of "well they're only allowed to use weapons in self defence", they just think "they have weapons, they're on America's side, therefore we should wipe them out".
Just heard that NK says its going to test a missile tomorrow but there doesn't seem to be anything on it on a google search. The news seems to be all over the place on this. One minute SK says theres loads of activity at NK nuke test site and the next we're told that that was a mistake and there is no unusual activity. So what were they seeing when they thought there was?

Most articles repeatedly going on about how China hates NK now while another talks about how they sent them the missile trucks and have tanks on the border. BBC reporting from the bit of the border where nothings happening to tell us nothing is happening as tho that's what people are interested in knowing about. Its quite unsettling.
Original post by Drewski
They are a poodle satellite state of the great imperial devil, so are by default an enemy of the DPRK. They don't think about it in terms of "well they're only allowed to use weapons in self defence", they just think "they have weapons, they're on America's side, therefore we should wipe them out".

Poodle? I always thought of them as more feline. Anyway even tho NK may want to they have to use proper strategy and re enforcing enemy forces isn't that.
(edited 11 years ago)
China wont allow NK to go further than rattling the sabre.

Its quite laughable everybody is taking these military goons so seriously. Its aid and attention they're after because kim jong a bong is in fear of his life if all he ever does is rape virgins under his rule.
Original post by Darth Stewie
take a look at this study done by the EMP commission which goes through the various effects an EMP could have on the US infrastructure, scroll down to 112 for the bit about trucks and cars however to sum up of the tests they did most cars ran fine when subjected to an EMP pulse (a few non essential electronics failed and the cars may need to be restarted when the EMP pulse hits).

Try pages 131-132 :wink:

A 'Show of Force' may have enraged some N.Koreans as
During the 1950-53 Korean War, US B-29 heavy bombers literally flattened North Korea. That’s why North Korea reacted so furiously when US B-52 heavy bombers and B-2 Stealth bombers skirted its borders late last month, triggering off this latest crisis.

http://ericmargolis.com/2013/04/what-a-third-korean-war-would-look-like/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 531
Personally I think it is pretty funny how the Americans followed their own rule book perfectly on how to effectively escalate a situation and then seemed to have a sudden realisation about exactly how insane Kim Jong Un could be before stepping down with their tails between their legs.

Nobody wants to deal with North Korea and the unification. It would be almost impossible to reintegrate a society so deeply involved in a cult of personality with a modern and westernised civilisation.
can someone update me on north korea? whats kim Jong Panda-Uns latest threat?...in fact get back to me when he actually fires a missile or something...

and wtf? whats this girl on about with EMP in possession of North Korea? LMAO whats next, north korea are in possession of a laser firing satellite?

Eh, George Galloway is an irrelevant ****. Listening to him is as pointless as a car without wheels.
Reply 534
NK has warned foreigners staying in South Korea to evacuate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22082309
Original post by study beats
can someone update me on north korea? whats kim Jong Panda-Uns latest threat?...in fact get back to me when he actually fires a missile or something...

and wtf? whats this girl on about with EMP in possession of North Korea? LMAO whats next, north korea are in possession of a laser firing satellite?

Ermmmmm they do have laser weapons -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZM-87

Not a laser firing satellite but a blinding laser nonetheless.

If I am online and have not posted anything new, that means there haven't been any events worth mentioning.

However, now I'm online, so I'll briefly summarise the main events of the past few hours/days (I'll post sources later when I have time):

Mysterious large truck sighted at North Korean embassy in London; North Koreans say it is only for the secretary as he is leaving because his term has ended and that they are not clearing out the embassy.

Japan has deployed missile defense systems in Tokyo and elsewhere.

Chinese troops continue to mass in North Eastern China and NK border.

Analysts say nuclear/missile test is imminent whilst South Korean officials backtrack on their prediction that such is imminent.

North Korea tells foreigners in SK to evacuate in its latest "thermonuclear war" threat

Chinese tour company suspends all tours whilst international tour companies continue tours - it was not immediately clear whether NK had demanded the suspension or China had.

Apart from the above, it's been relatively quiet.
Reply 537

Lasers aren't that far away...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/apr/09/us-navy-laser-cannon-planes
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22076705

Original post by HumanSupremacist
If I am online and have not posted anything new, that means there haven't been any events worth mentioning.

Because you're the only one capable of keeping up to date with it? Behave.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Drewski

Because you're the only one capable of keeping up to date with it? Behave.

Tbf he does seem to dedicate a lot of time to watching this situation.
Original post by AgentSushi
Ermmmmm they do have laser weapons -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZM-87

Not a laser firing satellite but a blinding laser nonetheless.

oooh there gonna blind the soldiers for 10 seconds, ooh were so scared......parthetic....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending