The Student Room Group

Boys, could you ever fancy a plain/unattractive girl?

--------------
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Maid Marian
Say there's a plain, unattractive or even slightly ugly girl. If you liked her personality, and she was smiley, happy and chatty around you (but very shy around others), could you ever fancy her?

Or is she completely off limits because of her looks?

(I'm guessing the answer is yes, but humour me).

Of course! By the law of averages, most people are unattractive so most people will end up with unattractive partners. Men just tend to have fewer self-esteem issues than women, and are willing to take a chance when it comes to punching above their weight.
Reply 2
Sounds like she has an awesome personality, but working on one's looks never hurts (anyone can look reasonably attractive if they're at a healthy weight/dress well/put on a bit of make-up and take care of their skin and hair etc.) :smile:
Reply 3
Could you fancy a plain, unattractive or even slightly ugly guy? I'm guessing there's your answer.
Reply 4
Ofcourse I could, I really found this girl attractive because of her personality and humor even though in most of my mates eyes and I quote she was "the epitomy of ugly".
Reply 5
I prefer women who are plainer, less conventionally attractive - it's less intimidating! And I can actually listen to what they're saying because I'm not all distracted by their wonder-looks. The most important thing is that you make the effort to be the best version of yourself as possible by looking after your health and living morally.
Reply 6
Say there's a plain, unattractive or even slightly ugly girl. If you liked her personality, and she was smiley, happy and chatty around you (but very shy around others), could you ever fancy her?

Or is she completely off limits because of her looks?

(I'm guessing the answer is yes, but humour me).

Well not if I didn't find her attractive, I'd just want to be friends. Pretty much everyone is attractive to someone though, even people who are generally considered the most unattractive usually have partners in their lives.
Reply 7
No if I was to date someone i would want a girl with a good personality whom i also find attractive, otherwise we would just be good friends.
Sometimes I find plainer women more attractive - as long as they have a good personality and can hold a good conversation then why not?
Reply 9
to be honest, most females are plain. its make-up, good clothes ect that makes them appear hot or stand out from the rest. so in answer to you, yes i think boys would. having no confidence is the biggest turn off so be more confident in yourself before expecting a guy to like you
Reply 10
Okay, thanks guys :smile:

Original post by Ezekiella
Sounds like she has an awesome personality, but working on one's looks never hurts (anyone can look reasonably attractive if they're at a healthy weight/dress well/put on a bit of make-up and take care of their skin and hair etc.) :smile:

She is at a healthy weight, and takes care of her skin and everything, but ... there are some things you can't fix like bone structure and general face shape. :s-smilie:
Do you honestly think she has an good personality? She's really really shy :frown: It's only around a certain boy she comes out of her shell and can be bubbly and chatty with him :redface:
Thank you :smile:

Original post by besomebody
Could you fancy a plain, unattractive or even slightly ugly guy? I'm guessing there's your answer.

Yes I could! Most guys I've fancied would actually fit that description :redface: But women are less attracted to looks than guys are, so ... :s-smilie:
Reply 11
I think I would rather be friends with that girl then actually go into a relationship with her.
Reply 12
No, plain yes, but ugly? There needs to be attraction for it to work.
I think for attraction to happen, attractiveness is a prerequisite
I think the key is not to make the guy feel like hes punching below his weight. Even if he is. Avoid being clingy, make lots of eye contact when he speaks and like you say smiling helps.
Reply 15
Yes to plain but unattractive is too far for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by evantej
Of course! By the law of averages, most people are unattractiv so most people will end up with unattractive partners. Men just tend to have fewer self-esteem issues than women, and are willing to take a chance when it comes to punching above their weight.

That statement is a fallacy. One person's attractiveness is independant of other people. If somebody starts working out / loses weight / gets better clothes or whatever and manages to go from say a 7 to a 9, it's not like some other 9 then gets shifted down to compensate.

@OP, I would say that the vast majority of girls I see are generally at least a 7/10; ie reasonably attractive. Anything less than a 7 (which would be relatively rare) would have to be someone I really didn't find attractive, so therefore wouldn't really be girlfriend material. It's nothing to do with looks in comparison with others, but more simply "do I find her attractive to look at", and if she's not then I'd probably have to say no.

tl;dr I couldn't date someone I'm not attracted to, but I could be attracted to most of the female population.
Reply 17
Original post by Domeface
That statement is a fallacy. One person's attractiveness is independant of other people. If somebody starts working out / loses weight / gets better clothes or whatever and manages to go from say a 7 to a 9, it's not like some other 9 then gets shifted down to compensate.

@OP, I would say that the vast majority of girls I see are generally at least a 7/10; ie reasonably attractive. Anything less than a 7 (which would be relatively rare) would have to be someone I really didn't find attractive, so therefore wouldn't really be girlfriend material. It's nothing to do with looks in comparison with others, but more simply "do I find her attractive to look at", and if she's not then I'd probably have to say no.

tl;dr I couldn't date someone I'm not attracted to, but I could be attracted to most of the female population.

A person's attractiveness is not independent of other people's attractiveness. The very fact you can apply a number to someone's attractiveness implies they are being compared to others and their attractiveness is defined by others.

In addition, from a linguistic perspective, the relationship between the sign and signifier is completely arbitrary. In this case, it is hard to define the physical attributes attached to the rating '7' you would give someone (as Mastermind007 suggests). You can only say that person x is better looking than person y.

If you had ten people and graded them in attractiveness from one to ten, and the person who was a seven improved themselves physically up to a nine, then the people who were eight and nine would shift down. To suggest otherwise is nonsense. Even in a room of supermodels you would find one more attractive than another and grade them from one to ten (i.e. normative rather than criterion referenced assessment).

The fact you see lots of good looking women shows you have a limited sample size (i.e. young girls are statistically the best looking of the whole population).
Reply 18
Okay, thanks guys :smile:

She is at a healthy weight, and takes care of her skin and everything, but ... there are some things you can't fix like bone structure and general face shape. :s-smilie:
Do you honestly think she has an good personality? She's really really shy :frown: It's only around a certain boy she comes out of her shell and can be bubbly and chatty with him :redface:
Thank you :smile:

If you don't like your personality then you're always free to change it :smile: Just act like you're the person you want to be till you become that. Fake it till you make it. You define who you are, not the other way around - change your self-image and you can be whoever you want.

Also, if you look at actresses/models they're considered beautiful and they all have different face shapes/bone structure. Im sure you cant look that bad. If you don't want to wear make up you could try getting your brows done to suit your face/eyelash extensions if you like your eyes etc? Or if you have full lips wear bright coloured lip gloss to make them look nicer? Basically make the most of what you have (sorry if this is going a little off topic, as you can probably tell I'm really into fashion and beauty ha!).
If she's unattractive, she's unattractive. That's as far as it goes. Friends yes, but anymore than that - most likely not. Sure personality and confidence matters, but she still needs to be physically attractive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending