The Student Room Group

Law at oxford ? HELP !!!!

I'm currently studying A levels in : Law, Government and Politics and English Lit and Lang. I am on track for A*AB ( did well in my resits ) , if i took a year out and loaded myself with extra curricular activities and tons of work exp, travelling abroad and applied with extenuating circumstances ( which i have had ) would it realistic if i applied to Russel group universities ? The maximum grade i can get for English is a B ( teacher has completely messed it up for me ). Bearing all this in mind i was on CCD for As ? :/ could someone help me out please.
Reply 1
Original post by Lawfanatic
I'm currently studying A levels in : Law, Government and Politics and English Lit and Lang. I am on track for A*AB ( did well in my resits ) , if i took a year out and loaded myself with extra curricular activities and tons of work exp, travelling abroad and applied with extenuating circumstances ( which i have had ) would it realistic if i applied to Russel group universities ? The maximum grade i can get for English is a B ( teacher has completely messed it up for me ). Bearing all this in mind i was on CCD for As ? :/ could someone help me out please.

The requirement for law is AAA see here if you've not seen already. To be honest with you, Oxford seem to care a lot about GCSE grades, and also of course meeting your academic offer. If you were to take a year out it might be an idea to pick up an extra A-Level. A*AB may be acceptable in place of AAA dependent on what the A* and B are in.
Reply 2
Original post by joostan
The requirement for law is AAA see here if you've not seen already. To be honest with you, Oxford seem to care a lot about GCSE grades, and also of course meeting your academic offer. If you were to take a year out it might be an idea to pick up an extra A-Level. A*AB may be acceptable in place of AAA dependent on what the A* and B are in.

Hmmm , The A* in Law , and the B in English. I don't think i would be able to pick up another a-level as the college i go to have a strict policy with 3rd years. I have got 15.5 full GCSE's ( 2 languages , triple science etc..) mostly A's and B's. Surely , going from CCD in As - A*AB in A2 portrays a work ethic worthy of Oxford ? , would Cambridge be more accepting ?. Would i atleast get an interview at either these uni's ?
Reply 3
Does Oxford like resits? Not sure but im sure those grades and experience if you want to take a year out will definetly get into a good university such as Bristol or what ever you pick.
Although the offer is AAA, im sure you may need higher thinking about the competitiveness of the subject.
Reply 4
The resits were as a result of certain circumstances and could be fully explained. However , i'm thinking if i took a year out ; travelling ; working in a law firm MAYBE they may consider me ? , also i have not done the LNAT this year , perhaps working hard and getting a high score on that may favor me when i apply ? Is there ANY chance at all of me getting an interview or am i being overly ambitious ? Because i know if i atleast got a interview i would be able to show them that i am capable of being at Oxford :/ ?
Reply 5
The resits were as a result of certain circumstances and could be fully explained. However , i'm thinking if i took a year out ; travelling ; working in a law firm MAYBE they may consider me ? , also i have not done the LNAT this year , perhaps working hard and getting a high score on that may favor me when i apply ? Is there ANY chance at all of me getting an interview or am i being overly ambitious ? Because i know if i atleast got a interview i would be able to show them that i am capable of being at Oxford :/ ?

Oxford don't place a heavy focus on GCSEs - it's just one part of the selection process. You can compensate for GCSEs that are below the "Oxbridge standard" with a brilliant LNAT score, killer personal statement, good predicted grades (I think A*AB should be okay - perhaps think of picking up a 'traditional' AS such as History) and an outstanding interview. If you did take a gap year and did all the aforementioned things which therefore demonstrates appropriate and good usage of a gap year, I personally believe you have a good shot at an Oxford offer.

I don't see why you shouldn't apply to Oxford. You've got nothing to lose - the worst thing that could happen is them rejecting you and the best thing that could happen would be getting an offer! :woo:

As for other Russell Group universities, you also have a very good chance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Hmmm , The A* in Law , and the B in English. I don't think i would be able to pick up another a-level as the college i go to have a strict policy with 3rd years. I have got 15.5 full GCSE's ( 2 languages , triple science etc..) mostly A's and B's. Surely , going from CCD in As - A*AB in A2 portrays a work ethic worthy of Oxford ? , would Cambridge be more accepting ?. Would i atleast get an interview at either these uni's ?

Cambridge require an A* and 2A's. Trinity College consider law to be a B-Listed subject. http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604 :s-smilie:
Good luck :smile:
Original post by joostan
Cambridge require an A* and 2A's. Trinity College consider law to be a B-Listed subject. http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604 :s-smilie:
Good luck :smile:

Although it is hardly relevant to the OP who has asked about law at Oxford, have you actually read what Trinity says? Law A level is suitable as a third A level for candidates wishing to read law or land economy at that college.

A*AB will not do for Oxford. AAA is required and they do not generally accept points equivalents.

Moreover, you subject choice is not ideal by any means. Although technically acceptable to Oxford, none of them are perceived as being out of the top draw. Whilst on TSR I jump down the throat of anyone who implies that only applicants with a narrow range of subjects get into Oxford, there does come a point where the subject combination matters and you are at that pint. Either you received very poor advice to take that combination or you received very good advice and someone pointed you in the direction of a subject combination where you could get very good grades in circumstances where they thought you would otherwise struggle.

Either you are going to have to spend another year improving your results, which would probably mean at least getting your B up to an A and doing another, probably traditional, A level and getting at least an A in it, or you should forget about Oxford.

Moreover, I think your UCAS form should follow the traditional format of 1 risky, two safe and two cautious applications.
Reply 9
Original post by nulli tertius
A*AB will not do for Oxford. AAA is required and they do not generally accept points equivalents.

Moreover, you subject choice is not ideal by any means. Although technically acceptable to Oxford, none of them are perceived as being out of the top draw. Whilst on TSR I jump down the throat of anyone who implies that only applicants with a narrow range of subjects get into Oxford, there does come a point where the subject combination matters and you are at that pint. Either you received very poor advice to take that combination or you received very good advice and someone pointed you in the direction of a subject combination where you could get very good grades in circumstances where they thought you would otherwise struggle.

Either you are going to have to spend another year improving your results, which would probably mean at least getting your B up to an A and doing another, probably traditional, A level and getting at least an A in it, or you should forget about Oxford.

Moreover, I think your UCAS form should follow the traditional format of 1 risky, two safe and two cautious applications.

Not even if i applied through with extenuating circumstances explaining that grade B ? , subject wise i think its bizarre if someone reads Law without having a basic understanding of the Law itself as A levels could potentially put you off Law or attract you more. Politics and Law actually go well together in my opinion but English is the only subject i regret. Ive also got a pass at history but that has been dropped last year. But a gap year is defo on the cards as i am still to do my LNAT , which may help me when selecting Russel group uni's.

Thank you everyone that's replied. :biggrin:
Reply 10
I think Oxford is a bit optimistic tbh, but you shouldn't have massive problems for other Russell Group unis.
Reply 11
Although it is hardly relevant to the OP who has asked about law at Oxford, have you actually read what Trinity says? Law A level is suitable as a third A level for candidates wishing to read law or land economy at that college.

She asked if Cambridge would accept her, if you read the post :smile:
And the A* in Law may not be acceptable is what I meant to say. :redface:
Original post by joostan
She asked if Cambridge would accept her, if you read the post :smile:

Sorry
I don't think your a-levels are academic enough for oxford

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not even if i applied through with extenuating circumstances explaining that grade B ?

Your extenuating circumstances were or should have been explained by your school to the examination board at the time of the exam. The examination board would then have taken them into account in determining your final grade.

To give credit now for those extenuating circumstances would effectively allow you to double discount.
Reply 15
Sorry

No worries :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest