The Student Room Group

Astrophysics Work Experience - HELP!

Hi :biggrin:

I am in year 12 currently, and I'm getting a little worried I haven't found anything for my "enrichment week" at school, ie - work experience.

I am very sure atm that I would like to go into Astrophysics/Astronomy at uni, and so I need some work experience to help my CV and to see whether the subject area is the right one for me...

So I would like any help you guys can give me, please!
There's one problem though, I have already done work experience at a university in the past, and it seems to me that the only work experience you can get for this subject is to go to a university for a week. But seeing as I've already done this, I was hoping there was something else out there, does anyone here have any ideas? I've looked extensively around the internet, in this country and abroad, exchanged emails with someone from the Society of Popular Astronomy (SPA), and found nothing. :nope:

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!! :h:
Astrophysics? Call AS MANY universities as you can to shadow a professor or help around the university. Call all societies related to Physics. Also, attend lectures, contact your secondary school - ask them if they'll allow you to volunteer to speak about Alevels and UCAS or tutor students Physics. There's tons you can, I suggest you don't limit your options to purely keeping work experience related to Astrophysics. There are loads of aeronautic companies: such as BAE - contact them, see if you can work in their R&D. Charity work also looks great, so fundraising, running etc. Make blogs about Astrophysics, even vlogs on YouTube, make a Twitter account and follow everyone in your Astrophysics industry.

Another great one is also contacting Astrophysics journals see if you can shadow them.
Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by NidaJaffri
Astrophysics? Call AS MANY universities as you can to shadow a professor or help around the university. Call all societies related to Physics. Also, attend lectures, contact your secondary school - ask them if they'll allow you to volunteer to speak about Alevels and UCAS or tutor students Physics. There's tons you can, I suggest you don't limit your options to purely keeping work experience related to Astrophysics. There are loads of aeronautic companies: such as BAE - contact them, see if you can work in their R&D. Charity work also looks great, so fundraising, running etc. Make blogs about Astrophysics, even vlogs on YouTube, make a Twitter account and follow everyone in your Astrophysics industry.

Another great one is also contacting Astrophysics journals see if you can shadow them.

Thanks for your reply :h:

Your response have given me plenty to think about.
I have already attended lectures at a university, ran for charity, worked at schools and such...
That's why I was hoping to find something that relates very much to Astrophysics/Astronomy seeing as this could be my last chance to get something very meaningful on my CV before I have to start compiling my UCAS form in September.
I suppose undergoing some work experience just related to Physics would be great - but I know already from some unis that they won't let you shadow a professor, you can only really do the work experience that they offer there and as I said I've done that before.
I wonder how he did now 7 years later

Original post by boumavilla
Thanks for your reply :h:

Your response have given me plenty to think about.
I have already attended lectures at a university, ran for charity, worked at schools and such...
That's why I was hoping to find something that relates very much to Astrophysics/Astronomy seeing as this could be my last chance to get something very meaningful on my CV before I have to start compiling my UCAS form in September.
I suppose undergoing some work experience just related to Physics would be great - but I know already from some unis that they won't let you shadow a professor, you can only really do the work experience that they offer there and as I said I've done that before.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending