The Student Room Group

After failing AS - Success Stories please!

I really, really need a boost and inspiration right now.

I am in year 13 and have AAD at AS and need A*AA at A2. Please, anyone who experienced something similar to me and did well in the end please say what you did and the results of it.

I have exactly 6 weeks until my first exam, tell me I can get my D to an A and achieve an A* alongside that!

I am considering packing it all in and giving up, I need you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Considering you already have two As, it won't be as difficult as some of the other targets I've seen on here. It's all depending on what exams you have left and how they will impact your final grade? What subjects are you taking? Are you retaking any modules? Are you revising efficiently? There are plenty of extraneous variables that need to be considered before someone could give you some motivational anecdote of how they achieved A*AA after having BCD or something at the end of AS.
i went from BBC at as to being on 100% UMS in all of my as levels thanks to jan resits :smile: Now on target for A*A*A :P It is possible!! :smile:
Reply 3
I was expected worse grades! Man up You lazy demotivated person! Do you want to go uni of not eh? Look at your self! Your willing to give up a prestigious uni place because you don't feel so optimistic! Get your act together and get over it exams are close and will all end in June sleep through July!!!! ( sorry for being a bit harsh) p.s I dropped out out college and restarted and got 2 A 2 B 1 C and am working hard to meet firm! You can do this for god sake, imagine your very own success story!! Plus getting a at as really does help bring ums in for a2 less retakes! Bloody hell be grateful
You will get that D up to an A! You can do it!

There, I told you. Won't make any difference though. Know what will? Studying. Very simple. Go and do it.
You're well on your way already, either one of those As from AS could turn into an A* with continued hard work! As for the D, you're more likely to get that up by resitting AS modules (if it's not too late) but I would say that your target is very doable indeed. Keep yourself motivated, remind yourself why you want that A*AA so badly- I'm presuming it's a university you've fallen in love with, so maybe set that as the desktop background on your computer or something as a constant reminder of what you're working towards. Keep working hard and don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. Don't give up now when you've spent the last year and a half working so hard!
Last year I got DDDE, and considering my grades at GCSEs and just how I never had to academically struggle, I felt like AS would be a breeze and I didn't put in any effort. But then seeing those grades were a great motivation, and I worked the hardest I ever have and I turned those grades into all A's in Jan. I'm on target for A*s now.

You can seriously do it, just keep telling yourself that if you JUST work hard these few months, you'll be at a good uni and just, your life will be set, basically.
Reply 7
I'm in a similar situation. For my AS grades I got A(full mark), A(full mark), C(high mark), and E. For my A2 I'm going to get A* A* B. I needed A*A A for architecture in Cambridge. So I was thinking of taking a gap year and doing an intensive course. However now I decided to accept an offer from Westminster (A A B) as I want to stay in London. For architecture it's my grades and my portfolio which is important not as much the uni. So as I said if you don't get the grades this year then you can easily take a gap year and get them next year. Good luck
Original post by FATchristopher
I did terrible at AS barely passing them (E's basically). I was going to drop out of school, but I just thought let me re-take give it one more go. Ended up getting all U's and didn't even show up to one exam. Missed my offer for a course at Kingston Uni, decided to get an apprenticeship. Got caught with drugs on my 2nd week, got kicked off and now no one will hire me with a criminal record. Now I'm on the doll and make £200 a month.

Quite the success story there!
Reply 9
I achieved CCEU in my first year simply because I did not care. I took maths Chemistry economics and further maths. Last year I achieved AAAB retaking the same subjects and am an LSE offer holder :smile: DO NOT BE DISHEARTENED!!
I remember people were telling me I was silly and no half decent universities would want me after retaking a whole year (econ is competitive). Even my tutor asked if I had considered lowering my sights.
In the end it all worked out well, just stay motivated.
Reply 10
Original post by SummitOfReason
My bro got an U in A.S. Maths, retook and ended up with an A in his A Level. He actually ended up doing a phD in Maths :smile:.

Anything is possible

I also got a U in AS and my teacher even had my tested for numerical dyslexia.
My retake average for AS maths is 97% haha effort makes such a difference
Reply 11
Original post by GraceD

I am in year 13 and have AAD at AS and need A*AA at A2. Please, anyone who experienced something similar to me and did well in the end please say what you did and the results of it.

I have exactly 6 weeks until my first exam, tell me I can get my D to an A and achieve an A* alongside that!

It's really easy to bring a low grade from AS to a much higher grade if you are still doing it for A2. From 68% in unit 1 physics to 92% with not that much revision..! From 70% unit 2 Economics to 92%! Again, I only started revising a couple of days beforehand; had to concentrate mostly on unit 4
Reply 12
Original post by Namige
It's really easy to bring a low grade from AS to a much higher grade if you are still doing it for A2. From 68% in unit 1 physics to 92% with not that much revision..! From 70% unit 2 Economics to 92%! Again, I only started revising a couple of days beforehand; had to concentrate mostly on unit 4

How did you do that? :O I am doing Unit 1 physics and I find it so hard !
Original post by GraceD

Uhh..

"failing" AS.

"failing"

"AAD"

I see what you mean but you're hardly failing your AS, are you?

All you need to do is resit all your AS modules and any necessary A2 modules for the subject you have a D in. It's easily possible unless you're not very good at the subject, in which case it is still possible but a wee bit harder.
Reply 14
Original post by GraceD

I went from ABBC to A*A*A*A at A2 and got 3 offers for Law.

Just work hard EVERY day from now until exams.
Reply 15
Original post by science19
How did you do that? :O I am doing Unit 1 physics and I find it so hard !

Lots of past papers :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends on what one considers a failure. Although, I wouldn't consider AAD as a fail.

Anyway, here's my story.

Academically I was always in a middle ability set, however I was always considered as a person of lower ability by various teachers.

GCSE's were generally ok with a majority of C grades and one B grade. Hell, I was happy enough to pass GCSE Maths.

September 2010 - August 2011. So this was my first round of AS levels
I took History, Politics, French and Drama. Although, I thought I had been working hard I achieved four U grades for all of my subjects. That was probably the lowest point in my life.

August 30th 2011 - This was when I plucked up the courage to apply to a College. Mind you the College I applied to was a College that I thought was inferior.

"At least I was accepted" - That was my mentality at the time.

September 2011 - August 2012. I found myself at least rather happy with my new AS results.

History B
Politics C
English Literature D
Philosophy U

September 7th 2012 - I tell my Asian side (Indian) about the fact that I am not going to university this year. The reaction wasn't as bad as I expected, considering that quite a few of my cousins were at Russell Group University's.

Skip forward to November 15th 2013. I've sent my UCAS off, anxiously awaiting replys. At this point I am expecting rejections.

November 17th 2012 - This happens to be my Birthday. I get an offer from the University of Essex for Modern History and Politics - BBB grade.

At this point I remember falling onto the floor in my bedroom crying with joy. - Yeah, that actually happened.

Eventually I got all five offers for History and Politics.

Skip to March 8th 2013 - January results time.

History coursework - A -

Politics Unit 3 Ideologies - B

English Literature paper resit - C (I got an E in that paper previously).

So here I am, a moderately middle/lower ability kid to failure to gaining pretty good AS and some A level
grades in my mind.

I've firmed Kent for History and Politics (need ABB)

Insurance is Oxford Brookes (need BBC)

For all those who have feel they've failed. Honestly, it could have been a whole hell worse. Whether you're facing hell or a festival just grab it by the testicle.

DFTBA.

TLDR - Middle/Lower ability kid, did ok at GCSE. Failed AS Levels the first time with UUUU. Bounced back with BCDU - managed to get all five offers for History and Politics. Getting higher grades at A2, someone who is at least trying despite previous experiences.

Thanks for reading I know it was long and for that I apologise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by PierceBrosnan
It depends on what one considers a failure. Although, I wouldn't consider AAD as a fail.

Anyway, here's my story.

Academically I was always in a middle ability set, however I was always considered as a person of lower ability by various teachers.

GCSE's were generally ok with a majority of C grades and one B grade. Hell, I was happy enough to pass GCSE Maths.

September 2010 - August 2011. So this was my first round of AS levels
I took History, Politics, French and Drama. Although, I thought I had been working hard I achieved four U grades for all of my subjects. That was probably the lowest point in my life.

August 30th 2011 - This was when I plucked up the courage to apply to a College. Mind you the College I applied to was a College that I thought was inferior.

"At least I was accepted" - That was my mentality at the time.

September 2011 - August 2012. I found myself at least rather happy with my new AS results.

History B
Politics C
English Literature D
Philosophy U

September 7th 2012 - I tell my Asian side (Indian) about the fact that I am not going to university this year. The reaction wasn't as bad as I expected, considering that quite a few of my cousins were at Russell Group University's.

Skip forward to November 15th 2013. I've sent my UCAS off, anxiously awaiting replys. At this point I am expecting rejections.

November 17th 2012 - This happens to be my Birthday. I get an offer from the University of Essex for Modern History and Politics - BBB grade.

At this point I remember falling onto the floor in my bedroom crying with joy. - Yeah, that actually happened.

Eventually I got all five offers for History and Politics.

Skip to March 8th 2013 - January results time.

History coursework - A -

Politics Unit 3 Ideologies - B

English Literature paper resit - C (I got an E in that paper previously).

So here I am, a moderately middle/lower ability kid to failure to gaining pretty good AS and some A level
grades in my mind.

I've firmed Kent for History and Politics (need ABB)

Insurance is Oxford Brookes (need BBC)

For all those who have feel they've failed. Honestly, it could have been a whole hell worse. Whether you're facing hell or a festival just grab it by the testicle.

DFTBA.

TLDR - Middle/Lower ability kid, did ok at GCSE. Failed AS Levels the first time with UUUU. Bounced back with BCDU - managed to get all five offers for History and Politics. Getting higher grades at A2, someone who is at least trying despite previous experiences.

Thanks for reading I know it was long and for that I apologise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yooooo im in the same fkin position yoo wtf!
Let me tell you something you already know.The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit, it’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done!
Now if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth! But you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain’t you! You’re better than that!
You'll be fine, you're hardly failing. I got a BBE my first time around at AS, resat some exams this january and got ABB, it's about working hard! Trust me, hard work pays off!

Quick Reply

Latest