The Student Room Group

How to lower alcohol tolerance?

This last half a year I have noticed a marked increase in my alcohol tolerance because I've been boozing so often! Even a 10 unit bottle of wine doesn't affect me like it used to, I'll feel a bit buzzy then suddenly zoom-focus and realise how I'm not that drunk. It's very expensive and frustrating and I end up feeling terrible in the morning because I have to drink so much more. Is abstaining for a long time the only way to lower my tolerance?

Oh to be 18 again when I could get pissed on thin air!
Stop, or seriously cut down on your drinking.
Reply 2
Therapy........ Alcohol rehab group societies....
Reply 3
Original post by Botticello
This last half a year I have noticed a marked increase in my alcohol tolerance because I've been boozing so often! Even a 10 unit bottle of wine doesn't affect me like it used to, I'll feel a bit buzzy then suddenly zoom-focus and realise how I'm not that drunk. It's very expensive and frustrating and I end up feeling terrible in the morning because I have to drink so much more. Is abstaining for a long time the only way to lower my tolerance?

Oh to be 18 again when I could get pissed on thin air!

lol im the same.
try either mixing your drinks (prob best to drink water b4 you go to bed or youl wake up with the worst hangover ever)

what do you usually drink? if you drink the smae drink regularly eg- wine, youl get too used to it.

a good one to try (if you can stand the taste) is sambuca (either as a shot or mixed with lemonade). it gets u drunk fast and hyper off the sugar. plus if you have glass shot glasses, you can set it on fire!

just play around with what you drink, try new things.

or if you want to get really drunk easily, try drinking on an empty stomach- remember: 'eating is cheating' lol
Don't eat much before you go out. Things get out of hand real fast though:s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by Cattty
lol im the same.
try either mixing your drinks (prob best to drink water b4 you go to bed or youl wake up with the worst hangover ever)

what do you usually drink? if you drink the smae drink regularly eg- wine, youl get too used to it.

a good one to try (if you can stand the taste) is sambuca (either as a shot or mixed with lemonade). it gets u drunk fast and hyper off the sugar. plus if you have glass shot glasses, you can set it on fire!

just play around with what you drink, try new things.

or if you want to get really drunk easily, try drinking on an empty stomach- remember: 'eating is cheating' lol

and burn off the alcohol...
This last half a year I have noticed a marked increase in my alcohol tolerance because I've been boozing so often!

There's your answer.

Taking a break from alcohol for a little while would be the quickest way.

Though if you don't want to fully cut it out, then drink less each time. Though this'll take far longer obviously.

Also, try changing the alcoholic drink that you drink... Eg You normally drink a bottle of wine, try switching to cider or vodka ect.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
The quickest way would be to mix it with other drugs. Ethanol is contraindicated with a lot of drugs and you can significantly increase the effects to the point where drinking 25% of your intake would achieve the effects.

I wouldn't condone this, and wouldn't encourage anybody else to try it, nor am I going to suggest what drugs would work. Drugs are contraindicated for a reason. If you really want to know more, research it on the internet.

But the best thing is to cut down your drinking...

Ever thought about having a drink to enjoy it, other than with the sole intention of getting ****faced?
just drink whisky - it's pianfull too start with and pianfull to end (sick) - but you'll be wasted and it's a lively kind of wasted, i treat my self to it every few months
Reply 9
Don't eat much the day you're going to drink.
Mix Spirits.
Disregard chasers.
Do hard shots.
Absinthe.
Also if you find the spirits are too harsh, drink your beverages through a straw, you can get a lot more in you this way.

All really dumb ideas, but they will get you drunker quicker.
Reply 10
Original post by Rybee
The quickest way would be to mix it with other drugs. Ethanol is contraindicated with a lot of drugs and you can significantly increase the effects to the point where drinking 25% of your intake would achieve the effects.

I wouldn't condone this, and wouldn't encourage anybody else to try it, nor am I going to suggest what drugs would work. Drugs are contraindicated for a reason. If you really want to know more, research it on the internet.

But the best thing is to cut down your drinking...

Ever thought about having a drink to enjoy it, other than with the sole intention of getting ****faced?

I'm not into drugs so no thank you. Nor do I know anyone who deals such things. And actually I often have an ale/beer/cider with food or in the pub because I love the taste, as well as enjoying the effects.
Reply 11
I'm not into drugs so no thank you. Nor do I know anyone who deals such things. And actually I often have an ale/beer/cider with food or in the pub because I love the taste, as well as enjoying the effects.

Supermarkets 'deal such things'...
Reply 12
Oh, I didn't know you meant pharmaceutical drugs. A old friend recently said she feels sober after 2 bottles of wine :zomg: so maybe I don't have it that bad!

Quick Reply

Latest