The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

GREYS COLLEGE STUDENTS! What is Elvet block like?

Please? :redface:

Scroll to see replies

I would also be keen to know the answer to this!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by pinkpenguin
I would also be keen to know the answer to this!

Damn I thought you were a greys student haha. Have you been able to find out anything else about it?
Original post by TheRandomer
Damn I thought you were a greys student haha. Have you been able to find out anything else about it?

Sorry!!! :colondollar:

Not a lot I'm afraid, it looks okay though. Greys is just so convenient for me + self catered, so I may just take the gamble and go for it..
Reply 4
Original post by pinkpenguin
Sorry!!! :colondollar:

Not a lot I'm afraid, it looks okay though. Greys is just so convenient for me + self catered, so I may just take the gamble and go for it..

Me too, the only things putting me off is that it's shared with undergrads and the rooms look a lot smaller than at Mary's. Hmm. Maybe I'll email them and see what they say!
Reply 5
I spent three years and two terms living in Elvet.... and apart from a few very major hangovers I really enjoyed my time there.

T3
Reply 6
Original post by trident3
I spent three years and two terms living in Elvet.... and apart from a few very major hangovers I really enjoyed my time there.

T3

:biggrin: oh those hangovers, I know the feeling. So many times feeling sorry for myself in my room at Marys and it was ALWAYS the day the porter chose to knock and ask something!
How's the room size and storage? Do you have any photos we might be able to look at? :smile: Are the kitchens proper kitchens or just pantries like Marys etc? Also who lives there with regards to freshers/returners/postgrad mix? Is it quiet enough for postgrads do you think?
Sorry for all the questions! I love the sound of Greys and I really want to find out more :redface: would REALLY appreciate any help you can give!
Reply 7
Elvet has up till now been only finalists. So I don't know it that well as freshers were in Oswald till this year. The rooms in Elvet are quite nice, fairly modern, shared toilet facilities. Couldn't say which blocks are best, but it's split into lots of fairly thin corridors around quads. Has always been a mix of catered and self-catered.

Not quite sure how much will change if freshers are moving in next year.
Reply 8
Original post by tc92
Elvet has up till now been only finalists. So I don't know it that well as freshers were in Oswald till this year. The rooms in Elvet are quite nice, fairly modern, shared toilet facilities. Couldn't say which blocks are best, but it's split into lots of fairly thin corridors around quads. Has always been a mix of catered and self-catered.

Not quite sure how much will change if freshers are moving in next year.

Hehe thanks that's really helpful, Im a postgrad though not a fresher :biggrin: are the kitchens good? How big are the rooms? :smile:
Reply 9
Hehe thanks that's really helpful, Im a postgrad though not a fresher :biggrin: are the kitchens good? How big are the rooms? :smile:

Ah ok, not too sure about postgrad accomodation. My only experience of Elvet is going to a couple of people's rooms; they're not massive but they're reasonably sized, with big desks. I know previously it was meant to be for finalists, away from all the freshers so they could get some p&q to get work done. The kitchens on the self-catered corridors are pretty darn big. On the catered ones it's just smaller little pantry things I think.
Reply 10
Original post by tc92
Ah ok, not too sure about postgrad accomodation. My only experience of Elvet is going to a couple of people's rooms; they're not massive but they're reasonably sized, with big desks. I know previously it was meant to be for finalists, away from all the freshers so they could get some p&q to get work done. The kitchens on the self-catered corridors are pretty darn big. On the catered ones it's just smaller little pantry things I think.

Brilliant, thanks :smile: I heard the bathrooms have recently been done up, is that true? Just one last q - are the rooms smaller or bigger than the ones in Oswald? My brothers room in Oswald was really nice apart from the smell! Lots of storage.
Reply 11
Brilliant, thanks :smile: I heard the bathrooms have recently been done up, is that true? Just one last q - are the rooms smaller or bigger than the ones in Oswald? My brothers room in Oswald was really nice apart from the smell! Lots of storage.

Think the rooms are roughly similar size. Not too sure on what's been redone exactly in Elvet. But Oswald has been completely redone with new furnishings and wooden floor, and apparently no smell!
Reply 12
I live in Elvet at the moment and am self catered. As you are a postgrad you will be living in Elvet North, as long as nothing changes before next year!

The ground flood rooms are slightly smaller on one side of the corridor than the rest of the block but generally they are all a pretty good size. The rooms are about 2.5 times the length of a single bed and 3 times as wide I would have said.... In terms of storage you have the wardrobe which is full length on one side, and half length on the other side with shelves on the way down. There is also a big cupboard above it which I (being 5'11'') have to stand on a chair in order to get into it! There are also three sets of draws on either side of the desk. The desk is about the length of a bed, roughly..... There is also loads of storage under the bed with is less accessible. There is a cupboard under the sink and a shelf by the head of your bed.

The kitchens vary massively throughout the building for the number of people using it and the cleanliness etc of it. The ones in Elvet North do seem to be the nicest of all the kitchens IMO. They are only used by other postgrads who tend to be tidier.

Grey is fantastic - I absolutely love it. And Grey is very welcoming! The MCR has loads on all the time which is also great

xx
Reply 13
Original post by |jenny|
I live in Elvet at the moment and am self catered. As you are a postgrad you will be living in Elvet North, as long as nothing changes before next year!

The ground flood rooms are slightly smaller on one side of the corridor than the rest of the block but generally they are all a pretty good size. The rooms are about 2.5 times the length of a single bed and 3 times as wide I would have said.... In terms of storage you have the wardrobe which is full length on one side, and half length on the other side with shelves on the way down. There is also a big cupboard above it which I (being 5'11'') have to stand on a chair in order to get into it! There are also three sets of draws on either side of the desk. The desk is about the length of a bed, roughly..... There is also loads of storage under the bed with is less accessible. There is a cupboard under the sink and a shelf by the head of your bed.

The kitchens vary massively throughout the building for the number of people using it and the cleanliness etc of it. The ones in Elvet North do seem to be the nicest of all the kitchens IMO. They are only used by other postgrads who tend to be tidier.

Grey is fantastic - I absolutely love it. And Grey is very welcoming! The MCR has loads on all the time which is also great

xx

Wow! Thank you so much that's so helpful!!!! Would it be possible at all to show us (or private message) some photos of a typical room, if you have any? How noisy does it tend to be in that building? It's described on the grey website as being 'lively' and I've had my fair share of screaming freshers already :biggrin:
I'd love to go and visit but I'm living abroad at the moment. Bit worried if I'll have enough storage since there doesn't sound like there's as much as in my last room.
Reply 14
I'm not back at uni til Sunday but I can try and remember to take some photos for you! If I forget then remind me!

This building is meant for finalists so it isn't that loud! There are some freshers in the building but only about 6 in the shared rooms. The amount of noise you'll hear really depends on who lives on the floor above you. The walls are really thick but they must have failed with ceilings as you can hear through it quite easily. Generally there isnt any screaming or loud games going on in the corridors like there would be in Hollingside or Oswald.

I think there is plenty of storage and there is definitely more than I've seen in some of the colleges but I guess it depends on how much stuff you have :P
Reply 15
Original post by |jenny|
I'm not back at uni til Sunday but I can try and remember to take some photos for you! If I forget then remind me!

This building is meant for finalists so it isn't that loud! There are some freshers in the building but only about 6 in the shared rooms. The amount of noise you'll hear really depends on who lives on the floor above you. The walls are really thick but they must have failed with ceilings as you can hear through it quite easily. Generally there isnt any screaming or loud games going on in the corridors like there would be in Hollingside or Oswald.

I think there is plenty of storage and there is definitely more than I've seen in some of the colleges but I guess it depends on how much stuff you have :P

Hehe *nudge nudge*
Pictures would be amazing! But only if you have time, beginning of term is always super busy I know - and especially exam term. :smile:
Reply 16
Sorry I completely forgot! I've just taken some on my phone and once I've got them on my comp I'll send them too you
Reply 17
Original post by |jenny|
Sorry I completely forgot! I've just taken some on my phone and once I've got them on my comp I'll send them too you

Thanks again Jenny :smile: Just got offered membership of Greys!!!!
Thanks again Jenny :smile: Just got offered membership of Greys!!!!

See you there :awesome:
Reply 19
Brilliant! It's a great college :smile: I love being part of Grey

Quick Reply

Latest