The Student Room Group
University of York
York

College choice thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've narrowed it down to vanbrugh or derwent. Is there any ensuite accommodation in derwent?
University of York
York
Reply 21
Original post by toffus
I'm attendig film and television production so my classes will be on Heslington east. Goodricke or Langwith would be the most practical for me, but it seems like these two colleges are kind of "dead" when it comes to social gatherings and parties?

Someone said that there's always a flat party going on somewhere on Hes East but yeah I get the vibe they're a bit quieter too.
I'm sure there will be people on Hes East who are into partying :smile:
Original post by ed-
I looked at Alcuin too :smile: I thought Halifax looked good but maybe too far away from Hes West? I think it's a mix of post and undergrad too - Wentworth is the PG only college.

It will probably be Goodricke or Langwith for me now I know about that MAD card since my lectures will be in the law building on Hes East

Good for you !! So that you don't have to travel a long trip to your lecture. ^_^

From the map, Halifax is indeed quite far away from the central area.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
Yeah, I really want to mingle with internationals, if they think I'm cool enough to let me :colondollar:. What are you applying to do? :biggrin:

I got an offer for Economics and Mathematics and very excited about this. Also this will be my second time to UK (my first time is only a short summer English course in Bournemouth !!). What about you ? I'm so delighted to meet any new friends here.^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Does anyone know if york will send us anything about accomadation?
Original post by charliemac41
Does anyone know if york will send us anything about accomadation?

I suppose information about this is normally included in You@York account. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Prospective UK
I got an offer for Economics and Mathematics and very excited about this. Also this will be my second time to UK (my first time is only a short summer English course in Bournemouth !!). What about you ? I'm so delighted to meet any new friends here.^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow, only your second time? I dare say, York will trump Bournemouth :P.
I've got an offer for History, and I can't wait to start meeting people either :biggrin:.
Where abouts are you from?
Oh wow, only your second time? I dare say, York will trump Bournemouth :P.
I've got an offer for History, and I can't wait to start meeting people either :biggrin:.
Where abouts are you from?

Hello again ^_^

I'm from South-East Asia. I'm very excited as well, but I just heard from the York's online chat that the tuition fees (for international student) for this year will rise sharply compared to last year (especially for my course which is from 12720 to 17650). I think it's quite unbelievable !!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello again ^_^

I'm from South-East Asia. I'm very excited as well, but I just heard from the York's online chat that the tuition fees (for international student) for this year will rise sharply compared to last year (especially for my course which is from 12720 to 17650). I think it's quite unbelievable !!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, damn. That's not much fun at all. I don't know how that compares with other universities, cause I'm a home applicant. Is it going to make your application untenable?

Presumably you have loan options?
Hullo:smile: I'm an Indian applicant, hoping to read english at York :smile:. I'm hoping for a self catered college with en suite bedrooms, that has a decent social life- not too rowdy, but not completely quiet. So far, James seems ideal. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply 30
I've firmed york for law :smile: I'm not sure what college to go for, I could go for Goodricke or Langwith and be way closer to the law building but I am kind of worried about the social side of things. Also, if I went for Derwent it would be cheaper probably :tongue:
Reply 31
Original post by Ilovelarkin
Hullo:smile: I'm an Indian applicant, hoping to read english at York :smile:. I'm hoping for a self catered college with en suite bedrooms, that has a decent social life- not too rowdy, but not completely quiet. So far, James seems ideal. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've also applied for English, and am hoping for accommodation in James college. I have similar criteria to you, and it seems perfect :smile:

Whereabouts in India are you from, by the way?
Oh, damn. That's not much fun at all. I don't know how that compares with other universities, cause I'm a home applicant. Is it going to make your application untenable?

Presumably you have loan options?

Yeah I think I have to keep my fingers crossed for the scholarship that I applied to. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kimiechi
I've also applied for English, and am hoping for accommodation in James college. I have similar criteria to you, and it seems perfect :smile:

Whereabouts in India are you from, by the way?

Haha, well I move very frequently, every three years for sure. I'm currently residing in Mumbai :smile:
I think english is taught at Derwent though, so are you considering that as well? Though Derwent seems to have that constant party atmosphere- which is a bit extreme for me.
Honestly, all I've done so far is eliminate Alcuin, because I've heard it's a really quiet place.
As an international student, pricing is also an important aspect- and as some one pointed out before, the costs have increased remarkably. I'm going to have to keep that in mind while I look for accommodation :/
Original post by Benny100
Hey Economics first year here.

It all depends on what you're after actually after. Derwent and Vanburgh are both really sociable colleges as well as being cheap however leave a bit to be desired in regards to quality of accomodation. Alcuin is really close to the department home however it is known to be a quieter college compared to others. Langwith and Goodricke are both situated on Heslington East with by far the nicest accomodation however I know that the distance may put you off.

One of the things to remember in regards to economics is that lectures aren't just in one place they're anywhere from alcuin to James so don't let distance to the department home be a factor.

I'm personally in Langwith on heslington east. I know it may not be recommended being on the other campus but there is still a large number of economics students here. One of the positives is that getting the bus everyday since we met on the first day is that it was really easy to make friends on my course as we get the bus and wait for it while in other colleges they just get out of bed 5 minutes before. On heslington east I would say Langwith is more sociable than Goodricke, it's proved when you compare numbers on the likes of the Langwith/Goodricke bar crawls.

If you want any more detailed advice for colleges and eocnomics just ask :smile:

Hey, I'm an english applicant from India. Though I've lived in the UK before, it's all very intimidating!
I'm looking at James and Vanbrugh for accommodation- I want to live in a place that has a decent mix of home and international students,and isn't too noisy- with a completely madcap party atmosphere all the time, or a place thats too quiet. I know I'm being extremely idealistic, but which college do you think matches my description the most?
Yeah I think I have to keep my fingers crossed for the scholarship that I applied to. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck, man :smile:.

If you get the scholarship, and I don't fail English as miserably as I think I might, we can be York buddies :smile:.
Reply 36
Haha, well I move very frequently, every three years for sure. I'm currently residing in Mumbai :smile:
I think english is taught at Derwent though, so are you considering that as well? Though Derwent seems to have that constant party atmosphere- which is a bit extreme for me.
Honestly, all I've done so far is eliminate Alcuin, because I've heard it's a really quiet place.
As an international student, pricing is also an important aspect- and as some one pointed out before, the costs have increased remarkably. I'm going to have to keep that in mind while I look for accommodation :/

I've been to the airport there :P not the actual city though :/
Well the department is based there, but actual teaching is all over campus so I'm not fussed. And I really want my ensuite... :smile:
Alcuin is an option for me, because of it being ensuite, but only as a back-up cos I'm not really keen on the quietness either.
I'm aiming for 34 week lets to keep the cost down cos I'm local, but that wouldn't really work for you :/
Good luck, man :smile:.

If you get the scholarship, and I don't fail English as miserably as I think I might, we can be York buddies :smile:.

Yep !! Look forward to meeting you as well. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kimiechi
I've been to the airport there :P not the actual city though :/
Well the department is based there, but actual teaching is all over campus so I'm not fussed. And I really want my ensuite... :smile:
Alcuin is an option for me, because of it being ensuite, but only as a back-up cos I'm not really keen on the quietness either.
I'm aiming for 34 week lets to keep the cost down cos I'm local, but that wouldn't really work for you :/

Haha. Mumbai as a city is very ulnlike the rest of India.
I haven't figured out my weeks yet -.- bu yes, ensuite is a priority for me too.
Reply 39
Haha. Mumbai as a city is very ulnlike the rest of India.
I haven't figured out my weeks yet -.- bu yes, ensuite is a priority for me too.

The airport seemed nice :P I spent most of my time in India in Eastern India (Andhra Pradesh to be exact), as well as the Golden Triangle, so probably quite different then.
Well it really depends what is available on the day! The York accommodation application system sounds really confusing compared with a lot of other unis :s

Quick Reply

Latest