The Student Room Group

I'm at parties about Margaret Thatcher's death

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QI Elf
thatcher.png

Rather naive if you think Thatcher only damaged the coal mines and people alive in her time in power - she destroyed massive swathes of the population and left the country feeling the brunt of it for quite sometime. Most of us grew up in the world that her bile shaped.

Now all together: Ding Dong, the witch is dead! :yay::party2:
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
she destroyed massive swathes of the population

Ah yes, the Great Thatcher Genocide of 1985...oh wait...

Seriously though, when you say she destroyed massive swathes of the population, what are you referring to? I genuinely can't figure out what that could be about.
Seen this on fb and had to put it up. Applies to a few on here tho not all obviously. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 243
Original post by Chris_23
It makes me sick. If she was some kind of psychotic dictator who slaughtered millions of people then fair enough, but she isnt. Shes someones mother and grandmother, who left her position of power many years ago and to celebrate her death in this way is just disgusting.

Exactly
Reply 244
Original post by Selnec
When you see how deeply she broke communities in the North, you can understand it.

oh please.....
Reply 245
Original post by The Mad Dog
Her economic policies killed thousands of people. Suicide higher under Thatcher

Not as many as Blair's !
To all those of you who think celebrating Thatcher's death is sick are you going to keep a dignified silence when Blair dies or Brown or Cameron?
Reply 247
To all those of you who think celebrating Thatcher's death is sick are you going to keep a dignified silence when Blair dies or Brown or Cameron?

I'd admire the good things they have done - you certainly wouldn't see me acting in such a DISGRACEFUL manner
Reply 248
Original post by a729
oh please.....

And stupid, sarky comments like that are any better? Grow up.
Why not look at the facts, her refusal to act against apartheid South Africa prehaps?
Supporting Pinochet - dictator who overthrew a democratic leader because it fit in with her neo-liberal world view. Oh and the resultant deaths under him.
Working classes were sacrificed to her grand plan, and she thought top down economics could bring prosperity. It didn't.

If people want to celebrate her passing, so be it. If this was a non western leader who had blood on their hands, you'd all be singing a different tune.
Reply 250
Original post by Selnec

You know manufacturing output actually increased under her.

It's true she could have invested in those areas using some of the windfall from the North Sea Oil revenues but the miners and others should have accepted sharp pay cuts to make their industry economically viable again.

Still it is not right to celebrate her death
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 251
Original post by Selnec
When you see how deeply she broke communities in the North, you can understand it.

Wilson closed more mines than than Thatcher. Plus manufacturing output actually increased under Thatcher
Reply 252
Original post by Selnec

See my other post
Original post by RtGOAT
The mining communities should be thankful for her. She gave them the opportunity to get out of the cesspit. To get educated and get real jobs instead of crawling down filthy mines, breeding and having their brood repeating the cycle with no sign of prosperity.

Ungrateful cretins tbh.

Are you literally retarded? Miners earned very good money. By todays standard miners were paid the equivalent of £25 an hour, and worked 6 hour days. Wales has become a ****hole since the mines were closed. There isn't anything here other than ****ty poundshops, hairdressers, and chip shops. I'm from whats probably the most well-off part of South Wales - Caerphilly - and this place is **** compared to most other places i've been. I live in Devon now because Wales is a broken, ****ty, jobless hole. Almost a third of people are unemployed and living on benefits and have no prospects because there aren't any businesses here.

Mining has been a source of Welsh pride and heritage for centuries. South Wales was literally built for mining. South Wales was the biggest distributor of coal in the world at its peak, and was a highly prosperous region. Thatcher destroyed that for reasons we cannot fathom.

I don't know how you think making everyone unemployed, destitute, and poor suddenly makes them "educated and get real jobs". I don't know what goes on in your head, but there can't be much.
Original post by Gwalchgwyn
Are you literally retarded? Miners earned very good money. By todays standard miners were paid the equivalent of £25 an hour, and worked 6 hour days. Wales has become a ****hole since the mines were closed. There isn't anything here other than ****ty poundshops, hairdressers, and chip shops. I'm from whats probably the most well-off part of South Wales - Caerphilly - and this place is **** compared to most other places i've been. I live in Devon now because Wales is a broken, ****ty, jobless hole. Almost a third of people are unemployed and living on benefits and have no prospects because there aren't any businesses here.

Mining has been a source of Welsh pride and heritage for centuries. South Wales was literally built for mining. South Wales was the biggest distributor of coal in the world at its peak, and was a highly prosperous region. Thatcher destroyed that for reasons we cannot fathom.

I don't know how you think making everyone unemployed, destitute, and poor suddenly makes them "educated and get real jobs". I don't know what goes on in your head, but there can't be much.

I agree with you in your critique of the "educated and get real jobs" business. However, if miners were on equivalent of £25 per hour, you've probably got your unsustainable answer right there.
Reply 255

No, I will not remain quiet - what I will do is happily laud their achievements and note their great commitment to this country. Disagreements notwithstanding.
Original post by Gwalchgwyn

The mines closed decades ago. There's absolutely no reason to blame that for unemployment now. You're telling me that in the 30 years since Thatcher no former miners thought to jump on a train and see if they could find a job in Cardiff or Swansea, hell even Newport if they're desperate (sorry anyone from Newport!)?

Know what you do if there's no jobs in your home town, you go outside your town and see what's there. Waiting for someone to come along and bring jobs to you is stupid. Blaming a PM who hasn't been in power since the start of the 90's is just passing the blame and avoiding responsibility.
Original post by L i b
No, I will not remain quiet - what I will do is happily laud their achievements and note their great commitment to this country. Disagreements notwithstanding.

I actually agree with that approach, I don't think celebrating anybodies death is right. I just know there is some on the extremist right who will wilfully lampoon the extremist left for celebrating Thatcher's death but will crack open the bubbly when "war criminal" and "immigration boom" Blair or "architect of the recession" Brown pop their clogs.
Original post by gateshipone
The mines closed decades ago. There's absolutely no reason to blame that for unemployment now. You're telling me that in the 30 years since Thatcher no former miners thought to jump on a train and see if they could find a job in Cardiff or Swansea, hell even Newport if they're desperate (sorry anyone from Newport!)?

Know what you do if there's no jobs in your home town, you go outside your town and see what's there. Waiting for someone to come along and bring jobs to you is stupid. Blaming a PM who hasn't been in power since the start of the 90's is just passing the blame and avoiding responsibility.

Not sure if you knew this but there weren't and aren't massive amounts of surplus jobs lying around in just in case thousands of people are suddenly made unemployed. I'm also fairly certain you don't understand how shutting down an entire industry hurts the job market. Its not just miners that lost their jobs. Its also the people who drove the coal to the ports, the people who packaged it, the people who loaded it onto trains, boats, lorries, whatever. Its the people who counted/weighed it at the collieries, its the people who maintained mines, the people who crafted tools to use in the mines, the steelworks and carpenters who lost work due to a massive custom suddenly going.

You can't justify destroying an entire nations lifeblood by just saying "oh they should just pop on the train to Cardiff and feed their family by working at McDonalds or the office job that they didn't have the experience for. People do what people do because they know they can do it - when what they do is taken away, they're left with nothing. You can't tell a carpenter with 20 years experience to just stop his trade and go answer phones for Vodafone. It does not work. Evidently.
Original post by shakkashakkaboom
All these despicable, nasty, vile comments on facebook and twitter have convinced me to vote Conservative in the next election. Labour supporters have definitely shown their true colours today. Scum.

Only a very small minority of lefties are partying.

That doesn't make everyone who disliked Maggie some kind of grave dancer.

It's the same principle that only a tiny minority of devout Muslims are terrorist extremists.

Some of us are nice reasonable people :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending