The Student Room Group

URGENT! please provide input! rotterdam school of management

Hey guys, i just got an offer to RSM to join their intl business program in sept later this year. I would like to get some input regarding the school and this IBA program, i have been looking around the web but i mostly come across reviews on their MBA programs, not so much on the bachelor program. I have a few questions to ask:
1) how great is this undergraduate program at RSM as compared to other programs in europe? i do know that their MBA programs are great but i am unsure when it comes to the bachelor program.
2) job placement upon graduation. as i will be an intl student from singapore in netherlands, i would like to know if an education in RSM will enable me to get good job placement through its networking, be it in netherlands, europe, or back in singapore. i probably intend to go into ibanking in the future!
thanks alot!
Cedric.
Reply 1
Hey I'm from Singapore and I'm thinking of applying too! Is it easy to get an offer? Also have you gotten any information on it? Can't seem to find much online about the bachelors program. I already got an offer in UK though so not sure if I should even apply for this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Lawsg
Hey I'm from Singapore and I'm thinking of applying too! Is it easy to get an offer? Also have you gotten any information on it? Can't seem to find much online about the bachelors program. I already got an offer in UK though so not sure if I should even apply for this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, which uni in the uk have you got an offer to? Erasmus is quite highly ranked in their mba programs, and as you may already know the program is a 3 year one. If you're interested in studying business, I think uk would be a better choice, assuming you have offers from schools such as lse, manchester etc. I guess things to consider about a school is its placement upon graduation. Honestly I'm not sure whether erasmus is recognized in sg, which is why I have my doubts as well. But if you are looking for employment in uk, I've heard from some analysts that its alumni are quite common or there are a handful in the uk, in this case london. In the us I'm sure it isn't as recognized as its local ivies. Considering that this post was made almost a month ago, I've managed to get more info n other forums.
As for whether its easy to get an offer, I would say that it is relatively easy, considering my a level results, and their aim to make the class as intl as possible. Of course you'd have to prove yourself with your essay as well.
Good luck
Reply 3
Original post by cedricTCS
Hi, which uni in the uk have you got an offer to? Erasmus is quite highly ranked in their mba programs, and as you may already know the program is a 3 year one. If you're interested in studying business, I think uk would be a better choice, assuming you have offers from schools such as lse, manchester etc. I guess things to consider about a school is its placement upon graduation. Honestly I'm not sure whether erasmus is recognized in sg, which is why I have my doubts as well. But if you are looking for employment in uk, I've heard from some analysts that its alumni are quite common or there are a handful in the uk, in this case london. In the us I'm sure it isn't as recognized as its local ivies. Considering that this post was made almost a month ago, I've managed to get more info n other forums.
As for whether its easy to get an offer, I would say that it is relatively easy, considering my a level results, and their aim to make the class as intl as possible. Of course you'd have to prove yourself with your essay as well.
Good luck

Doesn't sound that worthwhile after all then. Thanks for the input! I applied for law actually and I've accepted Nottingham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Lawsg
Doesn't sound that worthwhile after all then. Thanks for the input! I applied for law actually and I've accepted Nottingham.

Posted from TSR Mobile

since you applied for law, what would your motivation in applying for the intl business course be? if you are interested in studying law at erasmus then i guess that it probably isn't that great as compared to the law schools in the UK. I've heard that the rule of thumb is that you'll have to study where you want to work, although there are exceptions of course.
Reply 5
since you applied for law, what would your motivation in applying for the intl business course be? if you are interested in studying law at erasmus then i guess that it probably isn't that great as compared to the law schools in the UK. I've heard that the rule of thumb is that you'll have to study where you want to work, although there are exceptions of course.

Erasmus law program is not recognized in SG. I've always been deciding between law or business.. And happen to come across Rotterdam that day, hence the sudden interest in applying since the course seems pretty internationally diverse and recognized. I would most likely come back to Singapore to work, but nothing's confirmed yet.

Anyway most of my friends and family members are discouraging me from applying so I probably wouldn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Good luck

Hi, I have received uncon offers from RSM IBA and UCL info management for biz, which one seems better if I am looking for good job prospects? I am a Chinese and fine with staying or returning to China in the future.Thankyou!
Reply 7
Original post by QIUSEN9304
Hi, I have received uncon offers from RSM IBA and UCL info management for biz, which one seems better if I am looking for good job prospects? I am a Chinese and fine with staying or returning to China in the future.Thankyou!

if you intend to return to China, i would choose the school that equips you better for the chinese economy back in china. RSM is located in Rotterdam, which is a port city, and i have heard that it's strong for fields like commodities trading and such. If you are looking for a finance related field like IB/consulting, maybe London would be a better choice. I have gotten some input that RSM has good reputation regionally, within the benelux and maybe germany, however RSM alumni are also in london.
I am not too sure what info management entails, however like i said, choose the school that will suit your future plans. I do not think that i am taking up RSM's offer, as i feel that it's program isn't that intensive on finance but rather management.
Note that UCL may probably cost more than RSM. However if money is not an issue then it does not matter.
You can gather more info from other forums, on business schools in London. WSO is one of them. If it was a choice between LSE/oxbridge and RSM i'd say London for sure, but i'm not too sure on UCL, have not seen it's name pop up alot on business school forums.
Reply 8
if you intend to return to China, i would choose the school that equips you better for the chinese economy back in china. RSM is located in Rotterdam, which is a port city, and i have heard that it's strong for fields like commodities trading and such. If you are looking for a finance related field like IB/consulting, maybe London would be a better choice. I have gotten some input that RSM has good reputation regionally, within the benelux and maybe germany, however RSM alumni are also in london.
I am not too sure what info management entails, however like i said, choose the school that will suit your future plans. I do not think that i am taking up RSM's offer, as i feel that it's program isn't that intensive on finance but rather management.
Note that UCL may probably cost more than RSM. However if money is not an issue then it does not matter.
You can gather more info from other forums, on business schools in London. WSO is one of them. If it was a choice between LSE/oxbridge and RSM i'd say London for sure, but i'm not too sure on UCL, have not seen it's name pop up alot on business school forums.

Thanks for your the very helpful comment. This info management programme at UCL is actually quite new. It only started in 2007, so it is understandable that this course at UCL has not pop up in most of the business course. Futhermore, to my understanding, this course is IT focused, and I think it is like business management(IT) as the curriculum seems to lean more towards management side according to some current students there.
[h="3"]Year One[/h][h="4"]Compulsory courses[/h]Accounting for Business
Cognitive Systems and Intelligent Technologies
Communication and Behaviour in Organisations
Foundations of Management
Information Systems
Information World
Introduction to Marketing
Programming 1

[h="4"]Optional courses[/h]All first year courses are compulsory.

[h="3"]Year Two[/h][h="4"]Compulsory courses[/h]Business Analytics
Business in a Competitive Environment
Database Systems
E-Business Environment and Management
Programming 2
Software Engineering and Human Computer Interaction
Web Technologies, Users and Management

[h="4"]Optional courses[/h]You will select 0.5 credits from a wide range of optional courses.

[h="3"]Final Year[/h][h="4"]Compulsory courses[/h]Dissertation
Innovation Management
Interaction Design
Project Management

[h="4"]Optional courses[/h]You will select 1.0 credits from a wide range of optional courses.

RSM IBA curriculum:http://www.rsm.nl/bachelor/international-business-administration/programme/iba-curriculum/
Reply 9
I see. Where does your interest lie? If it is in IT management then go to UCL, if for other kinds of management, either RSM or another business school in the UK perhaps. The program seems to be an interesting one (UCL). It all depends where u see yourself in the future. Overall I think UCL has a better brand name than RSM. But that's just the brand name, which will be useful if you would like to obtain employment in the country that you study in. If you decide to return, choose the program that will suit the economy in china, or your interest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending