The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Doctor123
Sorry to hear about your rejections. May I ask if you had feedback? And where are you planning to apply this time round?

I've had feedback from Edinburgh - top sector for academic, second sector for UKCAT, but an average personal statement...
However, I haven't yet heard from Aberdeen, St Andrew's or Leicester.
Ah well..
Hoping to hear soon.

This time around, I'm thinking Barts, and possibly Cardiff/Newcastle. I can only guess though - it all depends on how well the UKCAT goes! Not looking forward to that... :L
Original post by MTW47
Leeds changed their admissions policy this year, I am not sure that you get extra points for having achieved grades anymore. It would probably be best to check with them.:smile:

Say whaaaaaaaaaat?
Original post by kate_pop
I've had feedback from Edinburgh - top sector for academic, second sector for UKCAT, but an average personal statement...
This time around, I'm thinking Barts, and possibly Cardiff/Newcastle. I can only guess though - it all depends on how well the UKCAT goes! Not looking forward to that... :L

Hey I got an offer for Edinburgh this year, if you are thinking of reapplying. You seem to have done pretty well. For personal statement, I can give you a hand if you like, also Edinburgh publish a document of what they want in their references from school which I can forward to you, if you want to give it to your tutor. That's down to you though! :smile:
Original post by Nandos94
Hey I got an offer for Edinburgh this year, if you are thinking of reapplying. You seem to have done pretty well. For personal statement, I can give you a hand if you like, also Edinburgh publish a document of what they want in their references from school which I can forward to you, if you want to give it to your tutor. That's down to you though! :smile:

Hi, I am re-applying this year. If you could send this to me I would be very grateful. Quick question...do you know which uni's favour reapplicants? :smile:
Original post by Nandos94

Hey! could you forward it to me please?
Original post by Doctor123
Nice. Does Exeter put much emphasis on the UKCAT; are you aware of their selection procedure?

Yh pretty much straight ukcat cut-off I think
Original post by MTW47
According to the feedback this year they looked at your predicted or actual grades to ensure you were going to or had got AAA, but you didn't get extra points for having already got your results. They changed this year to a system where the personal statement played a much bigger part in selection for interview. They read and scored every personal statement, so if you had a really good ps, it was possible to make up for a lower UKCAT score. :smile:

Wow I had no idea. So they weren't using that score point thingy? Where it's like 16 for PS, and like 16 for academics, where you get +2 for actual grades? and a +1 for UKCAT > 700?
Original post by Richyp22
Hey! could you forward it to me please?

Hey I'm in Switzerland at the moment, so will you please send me a PM to remind me in a couple of days.

Original post by panjabiflower
Hi, I am re-applying this year. If you could send this to me I would be very grateful. Quick question...do you know which uni's favour reapplicants? :smile:

As for the favouring of re-applicants, I don't really know which unis favour them, I just applied to my strengths. I guess the only favour you'd have is the fact you have achieved grades, but what I found is that at interview, I felt alot more mature.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MTW47
No that was for last year, you just have to reach minimum and then its all on ps. Also it's now MMI's (8 stations):smile:

Lord - I had no idea! But they are still scoring your GCSE's and A2's?
(edited 10 years ago)
I posted in here a week ago about applying for a HCA job and today I got a phone call inviting me to an interveiw next week !! Im honestly so happy, it's nice to have at least one interveiw this year even if its not for medicine :tongue: if anyone has any tips on HCA Interveiws and whether to tell them your a medicine reapplicant or not it would be greatly appreciated :biggrin: This gap year is looking up already !!
Reply 190
Original post by Bumble333
I posted in here a week ago about applying for a HCA job and today I got a phone call inviting me to an interveiw next week !! Im honestly so happy, it's nice to have at least one interveiw this year even if its not for medicine :tongue: if anyone has any tips on HCA Interveiws and whether to tell them your a medicine reapplicant or not it would be greatly appreciated :biggrin: This gap year is looking up already !!

Oh well done! Fingers crossed for you and let us know how it goes!
Reply 191
anyone had any success reapplying to the same place after a post-interview rejection? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 192
Didn't notice this thread before, sub'd!

Re: Reapplying to universities which I have already applied to
Yes I will be, but that is simply because my only options (as a graduate applicant) are the Scottish medical schools. Last year I applied to Aberdeen, Dundee (pre-med), St. Andrews, and Edinburgh with only Aberdeen and Dundee being actual possibilities. For 2014 I'll be applying to Aberdeen, Edinburgh, and Glasgow with the qualifications I lacked before (Highers) and around a year of work experience in a hospital, so I'll be a much better candidate.
Reply 193
Applied for as many healthcare assistant jobs as I can find, hopefully will get something back!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tdx
anyone had any success reapplying to the same place after a post-interview rejection? :smile:

:yep: Got rejected from St Andrews post-interview last year. Unconditional offer this year (:

They asked me pretty much the same questions both times round (apart from the PS ones, as I'd changed it) which made it rather easier second time round.
Original post by tdx

Yep, got rejected after interview by Aberdeen last year (I was absolutely gutted, and thought it would decrease me chances this year). How wrong I was. I wrote a new statement, got more work experience, and was offered another interview this year. Was much calmer, had much better interviewers who let me say everything I wanted, and I have an unconditional offer this year. Still can't really believe it, but never been happier.

Definitely reapply to the same place post-rejection. They didn't reject u because u were bad, it was because they had too many applicants. You have just as good (if not better) a chance as anyone else, and they like seeing people reapply.
Reply 196
Original post by Castiel'
Hey you could volunteer at a camp for the disabled like Trekkers or Odyssians. I did that and it counted as my DofE residential so that was good and it gave me alot of experience to reflect upon for my Medicine interviews, and the week there was really fun! the people there were so nice as well and met some good friends there :smile:

Here are a few links if you want to check it out:

http://www.dofe.org/en/content/cms/doing-your-dofe/opportunities/residential/

http://www.dofe.org/en/content/cms/doing-your-dofe/opportunities/residential/helping-disabled-peo/

Hope that helps,

Cas'

Thanks a lot! That really helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 197
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Do it because you want to, not because you want to score points.

My problem is I want to do both :/ Although I could do one for the summer and one after my PS has been sent, I don't know which to do first and which to put on my PS. I mean is gap medics any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DinaRayy
My problem is I want to do both :/ Although I could do one for the summer and one after my PS has been sent, I don't know which to do first and which to put on my PS. I mean is gap medics any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No idea, I'm not going abroad with a company.

I'm leaving on Monday and I put it in my PS. I couldn't say what I had done, obviously, but I wrote about what I was going to do and what I wished to learn from it.
Funnily enough, in interviews, it didnt go down that well. One of them even said, "So.. what makes you think you'll actually make any sort of difference?" If you're looking to wow them, it won't.
Reply 199
Anyone plan on applying to leeds?

Quick Reply

Latest