The Student Room Group

Why I think Cristiano Ronaldo is the most overrated player in recent times.

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Number 2 is ridiculous.

Goals win games. Games get points and progression, that wins trophies.

I can't believe you're complaining a player does nothing but score goals. Stopped reading there.
I disagree, if I was a premier league manager and could buy any player in the world at the moment I would take ronaldo over any player. He is so much more of a versatile player than Messi, Rooney, Van Persie ect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Historicity
Number 2 is ridiculous.

Goals win games. Games get points and progression, that wins trophies.

I can't believe you're complaining a player does nothing but score goals. Stopped reading there.

What was wrong with number 2? Football is more than a game about goals, what about his defensive sjde of the game or his qualities as a passer or creator.
You make some valid points, but I still think Ronaldo is a top player, if not the best in the last 15 years or so.

I thought it was interesting watching him in Euro 2012; he really didn't look as threatening without Di Maria, Ozil, Khedira etc. around him
Reply 5
:frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by trrr
What was wrong with number 2? Football is more than a game about goals, what about his defensive sjde of the game or his qualities as a passer or creator.

When he does pass he knows where to hit a ball to and he's got good vision, the majority of a football match is about goals, if you don't score you'll never win even if he did have a beastly defensive side.
Reply 7
I will expand on my 2nd point later on, im a bit busy at the moment.
Football fans are suckers for goalscorers and overrate them without ever fully considering other sides of their game. In fact I still believe till this day that Theirry Henry in his prime was better than Cristiano Ronaldo and here are a few point I would like to make.

Arsenal fan by any chance?

Ronaldo is overrated slightly, but he is better than Thierry Henry was at his peak.

1) He is an incredibly selfish player, he is not a great assister like Henry is and negates the goal scoring potential of Gonzalo Higuain. The might not be his fault as Mourinho has based the team around Ronaldo and he has given him the freedom to move around the pitch. He is also Madrids main free kick taker and penalty taker and his importance to the Real team also contributes to his greediness. Statistically he has taken more shots than any other player in La liga and this explains why he scores so many goals, couple that with the fact that Madrid much like Barcelona dominate their games pretty much more than any other team in Europe and have the best squad in world football.

If it's as simple as just building the team around player X so that they score 50+ goals a season, why has nobody, Messi aside, done it before in the modern era until now? He is a greedy player, but the reason managers build teams around him and let him shoot on sight is because he is great at what he does, he's a very effective goal scoring machine and superb athlete.

His free kicks are slightly above average also, they're not as good as people tend to say they are. Plenty of players over the past decade have at least hit the target on a more consistent basis than Ronaldo from free kicks.

2) Does Ronaldo do that much beside score goals? We has he ever been the driving force behind the teams like Theirry Henry or taken games by the scruff the neck? I had the previlege of seeing Henry doing this on countless occasions against Inter Milan, Real Madrid, Liverpool etc Sure he is a big game player and scores goals at the right time but football is more than a game about goals.

You've contradicted yourself here (2 bolded bits). How can he be a big game player but not take games by the scruff of the neck :confused:

I won't bother listing games he's single handedly won as I haven't got all day (although I will say Ronaldo was pretty much the sole reason Man. United won the Champions League in 2008 and then got to the final the following year), but just look at his performances against Barcelona this season. If that's not taking a game by the scruff of it's neck, well then I don't know what is.

3) He is nowhere near the best player in the world

If you made a list of your personal top 10 players in the world now, Ronaldo would be in it, so I'd say given that there are thousands and thousands of professional footballers playing today, he's pretty close to being the best in the world. He's unquestionably top 5 at least.

The fact is football has lost its true superstars. The likes of Maldini, Zidane, Cafu, Ronaldo Nazario de Lima and Ronaldinho will never be seen again.

This bit just smacks of nostalgia. Xavi and Iniesta will be remembered more than Cafu and Ronaldinho will, no doubt about that, they are arguably the best midfield pairing there has ever been and have won everything at every level, how are they not "true superstars"? Ryan Giggs is just as much of a superstar and servant to the game as Maldini was and Ronaldinho's peak was far too short to say he was better than Cristiano Ronaldo, if you're beating Ronaldo with the selfish stick then it doesn't make sense to use Ronaldinho to prove your point. Don't let the fact that he was incredibly entertaining trick you, he was very wasteful himself in possession.

I do think there is a lull in defensive quality right now though however.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Im not an Arsenal fan (in fact I support Chelsea) but in my opinion a prime Thierry Henry was better than Ronaldo simply as a pure footballer. He was faster, better technically, a better finisher, better passer and dribbler. I would only say Ronaldo beats Henry in terms of his strength and Aerial ability.

Secondly he is able to score 50 goals because he is playing in a squad that base their play around him and in a league where his team are far ahead of others both financially and quality wise with the exception of Barcelona. There arent many leagues in the world where you see a team lose the title despite having 91 points and score near enough to 100 goals is there. You could argue that Atletico Madrid are doing providing some form of competition and you would be right but to me that is due to Reals complacency.

My second point was more to do with Ronaldos overall contribution in a game, he is not like Henry in the sense that he can not make those very long sprints that can drive a team forward. I referred to him as a big game player as he scores goals in big games, you dont necessarily have to take a game by the scruff of its neck to do that. You mention 2008 , but even then I wasnt that impressed with his overall performances, Paul Scholes was my favourite player in that particular United team if im honest. No one ever takes to much notice of the players who can conduct a game and control the tempo.

Finally you cant compare Xavi and Iniesta to Cafu and Ronaldinho as they are of course very much different players. To say they are they are the best midfield pairing is debatable and in terms of their position I believe Zidane surpasses Iniesta and their are a quite a few better than Xavi. Ronaldinho was more an example than anything else as I didnt actually rate him that highly either. I could also mention the likes of Cannavaro, Thuram and Rivaldo but then Id end up digressing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by fuk
You make some valid points, but I still think Ronaldo is a top player, if not the best in the last 15 years or so.

I thought it was interesting watching him in Euro 2012; he really didn't look as threatening without Di Maria, Ozil, Khedira etc. around him

What was Angel Di Maria doing at Euro 2012? :s-smilie:
Reply 11
141 goals in 130 games.
Reply 12
Ronaldo is a machine. It's amazing that he scores the amount of goals that he does as a winger. People tend to overlook this aspect of and always think of him as a forward [albeit he does have the freedom to roam anywhere in the park, but he still plays with a proper striker].
Original post by That Bearded Man
What was Angel Di Maria doing at Euro 2012? :s-smilie:
He said, Ronaldo at Euro 2012 looked different, minus his Real Madrid team mates, nothing at about them being at Euro 2012.

Goalscoring tally basically ends the conversation, he scores so frequently in such numbers, assists and passing are pretty irrelevant. Unless you can stop the goals, any of his other draw backs are just not important. If you can't stop the goals you will lose, and football is about winning and losing not passing completion stats and tricks.

Ronaldo is certainly one of the best players in recent years, top 5 for sure. He's performed at a top level domestically into two leagues and at international level.
Heskey's the best
End of thread
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I can already guess your one of those loser arsenal fans
Reply 16
Best player in world football. And yes, better than Lionel Richie.

"I'm good, but I'm no Ronaldo"
Maybe he is overrated slightly, but so is Messi probably. Both are better than Henry, the other Ronaldo etc were at their prime so there you go.
Reply 18
It's an interesting one.

I used to think like that - that football is all sophisticated nowadays and every team has to strive to be like Barcelona, the epitome of everything that is good about football.

The fact is that defenders at the top level are all roughly equal and Barcelona's style is never undefendable, it's always possible to stop their goals and they win games with patience, waiting for the opposition defence to make a mistake. If the opponents don't make a mistake, they don't score. Their game is actually quite defensive, it's not attacking at all, it's conservative. Whereas teams that are more direct and counter attacking like Real Madrid and Manchester United, it really is impossible to prevent some of their goals. Ronaldo is just one of those players, he is such a superior athlete and so fine tuned that he can cause problems that are impossible to defend against. Realistically, I don't think either approach is superior anymore.

It's also interesting to contemplate what Ronaldo would have turned out like if he'd joined a possession club rather than Manchester United. He really was quite a technical player in his youth, and I don't watch him much anymore but am I right in saying he rarely dribbles past players anymore? Ferguson changed him so much. For better or for worse? Who knows.

I don't know for sure but I don't agree that you can definitely conclude that Ronaldo is overrated.
Original post by trrr
Im not an Arsenal fan (in fact I support Chelsea) but in my opinion a prime Thierry Henry was better than Ronaldo simply as a pure footballer. He was faster, better technically, a better finisher, better passer and dribbler. I would only say Ronaldo beats Henry in terms of his strength and Aerial ability.

I agree Henry is probably more rounded, however someone like John O'Shea is a more rounded player than Falcao who is predominantly a finisher yet you'd take the latter in your team every time. Being more rounded or complete usually makes you "better", but in this case I don't think it does because Ronaldo has got to a level that Henry never did and he is no slouch when it comes to those attributes you mentioned. His consistency is unmatched (Messi aside) and that makes him better.

Secondly he is able to score 50 goals because he is playing in a squad that base their play around him and in a league where his team are far ahead of others both financially and quality wise with the exception of Barcelona. There arent many leagues in the world where you see a team lose the title despite having 91 points and score near enough to 100 goals is there. You could argue that Atletico Madrid are doing providing some form of competition and you would be right but to me that is due to Reals complacency.

He's not the only player to have a team based around them yet he's outperforming everyone except Messi. He scored 42 in England and he's improved since then so there is no real reason to say he wouldn't score the same amount here. If he did I could imagine you saying something about how the Premier League is weak, Man. United are 15 points clear, blah blah blah. La Liga had 3 teams in the QF of the CL, England had none, it's the strongest league in the world. He's the top scorer in the Champions League and has scored a stupid number of goals against Barcelona in the past two years or so as well.

My second point was more to do with Ronaldos overall contribution in a game, he is not like Henry in the sense that he can not make those very long sprints that can drive a team forward. I referred to him as a big game player as he scores goals in big games, you dont necessarily have to take a game by the scruff of its neck to do that. You mention the 2008 final, but even then I wasnt that impressed with his overall performance.

Finally you cant compare Xavi and Iniesta to Cafu and Ronaldinho as they are of course very much different players.

All footballers are "different players". You can compare them in the sense that they are footballers.

To say they are they are the best midfield pairing is debatable and in terms of their position I believe Zidane surpasses Iniesta and their are a quite a few better than Xavi. Ronaldinho was more an example than anything else as I didnt actually rate him that highly either. I could also mention the likes of Cannavaro, Thuram and Rivaldo but then Id end up digressing.

If there is a difference it's tiny, Iniesta and Xavi will definitely go down as greats of the game and my point was that you only think all those players are better because of nostalgia.

Quick Reply

Latest