The Student Room Group

Physics 2014 Entry Hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

What is your name? Big-Daddy will do
What universities are you interested in? Hmm, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, Nottingham, Durham, all of these are on the list but I really want to visit before I make my mind up
What are your subjects and hopeful grades for AS and A2? Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, English Literature AS, hopefully all A and then A* at A2
How many prospectuses have you had all together now? Hahaha, 1 maybe? 2? Whatever makes you happy :tongue:
Any female physicists out there? I hope so

Well, there it is :biggrin:
Reply 21
Original post by Abbseh
Sure

HELLO PHYSICISTS!
Time to share what you're wanting your future to be and how you intend to get there!
Here are some quick questions to get people started:
Maths with Physics.
What is your name?
Wouldn't you like to know.
:wink:
What universities are you interested in?
Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial, UCL, Southampton and Bristol are the one's I'm looking at.
What are your subjects and hopeful grades for AS and A2?
Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths (maybe Additional Further next year) Hoping for 5As (6 if I do Additional Further) at AS
5A*s at A-Level.

How many prospectuses have you had all together now?
Any female physicists out there?
If so: You and Me = Grand Unification :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by joostan
HELLO PHYSICISTS!
Time to share what you're wanting your future to be and how you intend to get there!
Here are some quick questions to get people started:
Maths with Physics.
What is your name?
Wouldn't you like to know.
:wink:
What universities are you interested in?
Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial, UCL, Southampton and Bristol are the one's I'm looking at.
What are your subjects and hopeful grades for AS and A2?
Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths (maybe Additional Further next year) Hoping for 5As (6 if I do Additional Further) at AS
5A*s at A-Level.

How many prospectuses have you had all together now?
Any female physicists out there?
If so: You and Me = Grand Unification :wink:

Your doing Maths and Further Maths AS in the same year?
Surely it makes more sense to do A2 maths this year then FM next year?
Reply 23
Original post by Goods
Your doing Maths and Further Maths AS in the same year?
Surely it makes more sense to do A2 maths this year then FM next year?

That's what I'm doing, although I think its actually less common => Its just more effort to type out everything :tongue:
Original post by joostan
That's what I'm doing, although I think its actually less common => Its just more effort to type out everything :tongue:

Is there really a difference module-wise?

I suppose having M2/M3 or even M4 this year would look great for a Maths+physics applicant.
Reply 25
Original post by Big-Daddy

I suppose having M2/M3 or even M4 this year would look great for a Maths+physics applicant.

I shouldn't think so. It just means I'll already have an A-Level when it comes to applying.
Reply 26

It's harder to do the AS FP modules without doing AS Core, and likewise for A2 (for example, if you were doing C4 and FP3 concurrently, the vectors chapters would be hell).
Reply 27
Original post by Qwertish
It's harder to do the AS FP modules without doing AS Core, and likewise for A2 (for example, if you were doing C4 and FP3 concurrently, the vectors chapters would be hell).

They're not that pleasant as it is :tongue:
Differential equations get a bit more complicated as well. FP2 without C3 and 4 would be problematic. . .
Reply 28
Is anyone Else doing AQA Physics A?

How are you preparing for the practical?
Reply 29
Original post by Goods

I am! I've already done both ISAs with my first one being quite easyish but I MASSIVELY went wrong when interpreting the question, gutted :/ On my second one I've been told I only did marginally better but this time down to illness... again gutted :'(

Preparing to do the AS ISAs again in A2 ahaha
Original post by Goods

I am, I'm doing the EMPA rather than the ISA.
Reply 31
I am, I'm doing the EMPA rather than the ISA.

The EMPA is the externally assessed exam right?

I'm doing the externally assessed one. Beyond just learning perfect definitions for things like precision and repeatability and how to work out uncertainty i don't know how to revise for it particularly
Original post by Goods

I'm doing the externally assessed one. Beyond just learning perfect definitions for things like precision and repeatability and how to work out uncertainty i don't know how to revise for it particularly

I can't imagine they will ask for definitions.
Reply 33
Original post by Goods

Make sure you know how to quantitatively prove inverse proportion. Beyond that, there's not much to revise at AS. Make sure you swot up on the theory behind the stuff that was in the practical after you've done it. It's not strictly necessary (don't need any theory for the EMPA really), but it will help. Of course, you need to know how to work out gradients and stuff, but I'm sure you're fine with that :tongue:
Make sure you know how to quantitatively prove inverse proportion. Beyond that, there's not much to revise at AS. Make sure you swot up on the theory behind the stuff that was in the practical after you've done it. It's not strictly necessary (don't need any theory for the EMPA really), but it will help. Of course, you need to know how to work out gradients and stuff, but I'm sure you're fine with that :tongue:

It's mainly knowing how to reduce errors that gives me trouble. Do you have any advice for that?
Reply 35
It's mainly knowing how to reduce errors that gives me trouble. Do you have any advice for that?

They won't ask you for ways to reduce error. Either they'll ask you how a particular piece of the apparatus you used reduced error, or they'll show you a different experiment and ask how one of the pieces of apparatus reduced error.

Do you know about parallax error and fiducial markers? Those are the main two that usually come up.
Reply 36
Make sure you swot up on the theory behind the stuff that was in the practical after you've done it.

Were doing it all in one day. Practical in the morning written paper in the afternoon.

thanks for the help
Original post by IlariaM
I'm currently reading "The elegant universe", which I'm enjoying very much, although I know it's a very common book among physics applicants, but I think it's a good start anyway. And I've already bought "Six easy pieces" and "Six not-so-easy pieces" by Richard Feynman, which I'm planning to read as soon as possible. If you have any suggestions about further reading, I would be very grateful.

I've also applied to some summer schools both here in Italy and in Uk and to European Space Camp in Norway. I'm still waiting for a reply from all of them, except for the University of Sussex, which has offered me a place for the 4-week long module of physics at their international summer school. Anyway, I don't know whether to accept it or not, because the cost is quite high and I would like to know if it's worth before making a decision. Do you know anything about this summer school? Do you think the participation to this course would somehow improve my chances to get into a good uni? I don't really know what to do and I've got only one week to let them know my choice.

Being an international student makes things harder when it comes to applying, because your admission system is quite different from the Italian one and I'm really doing my utmost to prepare in the best way possible, but I fear I'm not doing enough.
By the way, what summer schools have you applied to? And how could I get (or at least try to) a work experience in a uni?
Sorry for the amount of questions, but I really need a lot of help!

I've applied for the European Space Camp too! :smile:
I would say definitely go for the summer school - they are generally very competitive to get into, so you are unlikely to get any more summer school offers. Also, you will learn so much! I went for a week long headstart summer school at UEA last summer (I'm currently an A2 student), and it was very useful when writing my personal statement and deciding exactly which course to apply for (Physical Natural Sciences, 'cause I don't really know which of Physics/ Chemistry/ Materials/ whatever I prefer!). I also applied for UNIQ, Cambridge Physical Sciences, and Sutton Trust summer schools, but didn't get in, and got rejected from my first two choices for the Headstart one too :'( My top tip for anyone is to apply or as many as possible, as they all select on different criteria (most were based upon background, e.g. being from an ethnic minority group, living in a rough area, having low income or getting free school meals, etc.) although they do also look at your GCSE results and predicted AS results and some (e.g. the Cambridge Physics one) require a sort of admissions test thing. And definitely accept your places on them!
To get work experience at a uni, first look through their physics department website - some will advertise work experience placements (although you're probably coming quite close to the deadlines now...). Also, email whoever's in charge of 'outreach' in their physics department with a short letter about who you are, what you currently study, and what your ambitions are (to study physics at a top uni like theirs (a bit of flattery never goes amiss...) and then do a PhD and work in research at somewhere like CERN).
Also, make sure you do loads of extra reading and go on any school trips offered to you to visit science labs, go to masterclasses, or listen to lectures on particle physics etc.
They won't ask you for ways to reduce error. Either they'll ask you how a particular piece of the apparatus you used reduced error, or they'll show you a different experiment and ask how one of the pieces of apparatus reduced error.

Do you know about parallax error and fiducial markers? Those are the main two that usually come up.

What's a fiducial marker?

As for parallax error, as far as I know it's error introduced by not bringing your eye level to that of the measuring instrument (so the obvious fix would be to bring your eye level to that of the measuring instrument!).

Are you sure they don't ask for how to reduce errors? e.g. here's a question from June 2011, I have no idea how to come up with answers for these sorts of thing:

4. In Section A Part 1 you measured the diameter of a wire using a micrometer screw gauge.

(i). Suggest a possible source of random error in this measurement.
(ii.) Describe and explain a procedure that can be followed that may reduce the effect of the source of random error you identified in part (i).
(iii.) Suggest a procedure that can be followed that may reduce the effect of systematic error in the determination of the diameter.

I know that random errors are those which differ throughout the system (e.g. the wire may have different diameters at different points in its length) and systematic errors are basically zero errors or other errors that come up from not being able to get accurate readings. But how do we reduce either of them (ii and iii)?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Also, email whoever's in charge of 'outreach' in their physics department with a short letter about who you are, what you currently study, and what your ambitions are (to study physics at a top uni like theirs (a bit of flattery never goes amiss...) and then do a PhD and work in research at somewhere like CERN).

Only say you want to do a PHD if its true. They expect a much more involved and informed student when looking at someone who wants to do a PHD. It can act against you if they don't think you're sincere about it.

Also I missed out on the Cambridge Headstart (i got Manchester which is still great) i applied in December (10A*'s 2A) and my friend who applied in sept (6A*'s 3A's B) got a place. So i emailed and they pretty much said they allocate places to the first people who qualify for the course standards. So apply as soon as applications open and your more likely to get a place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending