The Student Room Group

Validity involving Binomial C4

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
When it comes to algebraic expressions, it counts as improper if the highest power of the numerator is greater than or equal to the highest power of the denominator. You don't have to divide here because the power of the numerator (2) is less than the power of the denominator (3).

In the post above, that one's improper because the highest powers are equal. In the original, the highest power of the denominator is larger. So it's proper. :smile:

oh right, I got it now, so its not good idea to sub value in , so your point is just look at the powers , correct? but I always thought if you use values it would give you if the answer is proper or improper, thats why I am a bit confused
I'm having trouble how to work out this Partial fractions question:
Q1. Write 1/4(x+1)+3/4(x-1)+1/2(x-1)^2 as a single algebraic fraction in its simplest form.
Original post by otrivine
oh right, I got it now, so its not good idea to sub value in , so your point is just look at the powers , correct? but I always thought if you use values it would give you if the answer is proper or improper, thats why I am a bit confused

Nope. Just look at the powers - don't sub anything in. :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Nope. Just look at the powers - don't sub anything in. :smile:

Perfect thank you :biggrin: +rep
Original post by oreoscookies
Q1. Write 1/4(x+1)+3/4(x-1)+1/2(x-1)^2 as a single algebraic fraction in its simplest form.

This isn't a partial fractions question - just find a common denominator and add up
Original post by oreoscookies

This isn't a partial fractions question. Just multiply each fraction (top and bottom) by an appropriate thing to give them all common denominators and add them up.

Quick Reply

Latest