The Student Room Group

Why do People Have a Problem with Gay People?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Omanand
I didn't relate it to anything else, I specifically related it to the issue of homosexuality. I asked whether you could give an opinion/judgement without being influenced by external factors (e.g. society, inclinations, duty, religion, etcetera.)

You may not have, but I did. I'm trying to show you how using a similar example it is a nonsense.

Anyway, I personally find a penis up an arse disgusting. No external factors there, just my own repulsion.

Just like millions of others.
Original post by ufo2012
You may not have, but I did. I'm trying to show you how using a similar example it is a nonsense.

Anyway, I personally find a penis up an arse disgusting. No external factors there, just my own repulsion.

Repulsed though you may be (though your seeming obsession with the topic and insistence on prurient detail raises plausible questions about a certain latent sexuality) is your personal and irrational distaste any good reason to deprive practitioners of same-sex relationships of their rights?
Original post by Howard
I am an ordained Anglican deacon who will likely be elevated to the priesthood later this yaer

How unfortunate for the Church of England.
Reply 203
Original post by MostUncivilised
Repulsed though you may be (though your seeming obsession with the topic and insistence on prurient detail raises plausible questions about a certain latent sexuality) is your personal and irrational distaste any good reason to deprive practitioners of same-sex relationships of their rights?

The details are necessary to outline my revulsion.

I am in no manner depriving gay practitioners of their rights and have no desire to, homos have existed for as long as we know - they are not going to suddenly disappear now and it would only be wishful thinking for many to expect them to do so. It is unrealistic to say the least.

It works both ways though, as if homos would seek to infringe upon the rights of heterosexuals (i.e. the majority of the population), then it is time for those in the majority to stand up and be counted to ensure their rights are not trampled upon.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 204
Original post by Howard
I am an ordained Anglican deacon who will likely be elevated to the priesthood later this yaer. I don't care what the law says today or how it might change years from now. I will NEVER conduct a gay marriage.

It's people like you who give the Church of England a bad name. It's people like you that make me afraid to admit that I'm a part of the Anglican Church, because I'd never want someone to think I shared your ridiculous beliefs. You preach of equality and loving one and other, but clearly don't believe any of what you preach week in, week out, because saying you'll never conduct a gay marriage, is basically saying, I'll never allow 10% of the population to be happy.

How can you live with yourself after making some of the comments you have made on this thread?

I'm genuinely appalled to admit that we're part of the same religion, but can very proudly state that I clearly don't share your morals, and by that, all I mean is, unlike you, I have some.

What is it that makes you think you have the right to deprive gay people of living a happily married life just like the rest of the population? Allowing gay marriage isn't going to make straight marriage any less valid. Marriage is purely a declaration that you love someone and want to spend the rest of your life with that person. Why does it matter to you if that's a man or a woman. It doesn't affect the way you live you life.

I know of people within my church that are gay, and have actually come out as gay since joining the church. They haven't been rejected. People support them, because their sexuality doesn't make the slightest bit of difference as to the person they are. And that's what you should be judging people on - the person they are and how they live you their life. Because let's face it, someone's sexuality most definitely does not affect you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ufo2012

Good for you! Don't do it then. Chances are there are people who find things you do in the privacy of your own home disgusting, but chances are they wont be thinking about it long enough to be ​repulsed.

Are gay women alright by you, by the way? What about gay men who don't indulge in penetrative intercourse?
Reply 206
Original post by greatwaves
Chances are there are people who find things you do in the privacy of your own home disgusting, but chances are they wont be thinking about it long enough to be ​repulsed.

Original post by alexh42

I hate the fact there is such a large marketing campaign to FORCE people into accepting homosexuals. Last time I checked we had free speech.

I quote another user to refer to your first point.

Original post by greatwaves

What about gay men who don't indulge in penetrative intercourse?

Although ppl on here keep talking about these, do these really even exist?
Original post by ufo2012

Does this mean you object to straight people who engage in anal sex? Do you have a problem with gay women?
Reply 208
Original post by incipientT
Does this mean you object to straight people who engage in anal sex? Do you have a problem with gay women?

Well said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ufo2012
Although ppl on here keep talking about these, do these really even exist?

Yes! Quite a high proportion of gay men do not engage in anal intercourse...
Reply 210
Original post by incipientT

Did I say I objected? No. If straight people want to do that, that is completely up to them. Just the same as homos.

Just the same as gay women.
Original post by ufo2012
Did I say I objected? No. If straight people want to do that, that is completely up to them. Just the same as homos.

Just the same as gay women.

This thread is about why people object to gay people, seemed like that was your reason. So you have no problem with gay people marrying? Adopting?
Reply 212
I don't have problem with gay people but I wouldn't want my kids to turn out gay tbh. I'd be more "okay" if my daughter was gay than if my son was. And it's weird since I really hate real life lesbians and actually like gay dudes. I think it's more to do with the pride of my seed I guess.
Original post by 2ndClass
I don't have problem with gay people but I wouldn't want my kids to turn out gay tbh. I'd be more "okay" if my daughter was gay than if my son was. And it's weird since I really hate real life lesbians and actually like gay dudes. I think it's more to do with the pride of my seed I guess.

So a gay son would be a disgrace? I'm just asking.

Something people keep seeming to forget is that the preferences of some parents for straight children or otherwise has no actual bearing on their children's sexuality. It's worth thinking through the implications of that.
Original post by ufo2012

And seeing as how that isn't a practice that all gay people engage in, nor is it limited to gay people, it isn't a relevant or valid argument against gay people.
Original post by ufo2012

What about heterosexual anal sex?
Original post by Scienceisgood
What about heterosexual anal sex?

This was answered earlier :smile:

Original post by ufo2012
Reply 217
Original post by ufo2012

Is that your only premise for disliking homosexuals?
Original post by ufo2012

It works both ways though, as if homos would seek to infringe upon the rights of heterosexuals (i.e. the majority of the population)

And what exactly do you mean by that? Can you provide an example?
Original post by Omanand
Is that your only premise for disliking homosexuals?

I'm wondering if it's truly disliking gay people; plausible questions could be raised about an individual's latent sexuality if they have an obsession with prurient details and continual discussion of the issue.

I myself wouldn't go so far as to put ufo in that category, though of course it's for others to judge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending