The Student Room Group

When did we get into this stupid phase of fat coddling?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Anime Lover
That's ridiculous, fair enough if you want to look fat but I don't get why these people should get all the compliments and people that actually work hard are criticised... The world is just full of immature, conceited idiots that don't want to face reality...

exactly.
Original post by pandabird
I think you should take down that Bowie avatar. You can't pull it off.

Ignore the point made then.

Marilyn Monroe is/was slim and her bum is no more "curvy" than the bum of any woman her size. Yes it is quite flat considering she's being called curvy every 5 minutes. Not sure why you're getting so wound up.

Original post by pandabird
I'm a size 6/8!

Oh.
Reply 42
Marketing. Please consider that too. Evolution and natural tendencies are good. But the average opinion doesn't even go that far. The average man would most of the time sit in front of his television set and be 'fed with'.
Reply 43
Original post by Popppppy
Do you think that girl with the 6 pack is attractive?

Personally I don't find either of them attractive but if I had to chose I'd pick the larger girl, the muscley girl in my opinion looks gross.

I think the larger but toned figures of Beyonce and Katy Perry are the nicest.

The point is that the fat girl is encouraged to feel good about what she is and the ripped girl is vilified for what she is.
Reply 44
Original post by Tabzqt
x

That sums it up perfectly, a healthy girl being criticised and an overweight girl being praised, how does that happen

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Slumpy
I think I get more annoyed by male sizes, which are based on actual sizes, but in some shops, are something like 4" larger than the claimed waistband. Stupid as anything.

Remember there is wearing ease. If you put someone with a 30" waist into a pair of trousers with no elasticity which measured exactly 30" they'd be quite uncomfortable. So some of that difference is the ease.

(Google 'dressmaking ease' or 'tailoring ease' for more information)
Reply 46
it's not just the ladies who are getting enormous... the north sea oil rig companies have decided to reduce the number of workers in a helicopter because they are on average 3 stone heavier than a decade ago :eek:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/381888/Oil-workers-too-fat-for-helicopters-told-to-diet
Original post by tooosh
The point is that the fat girl is encouraged to feel good about what she is and the ripped girl is vilified for what she is.

Yea, sorry I couldn't really see the comments cos I'm on my phone.
That fat girl started off on tumblr which is full of girls who make no effort with their appearance yet whine that no boys fancy them.
It's often one big circle jerk of unattractive girls telling each other that they're so wonderful and vilifying guys for not fancying them, meanwhile all they do is post pictures of super hot Hollywood stars and expect boys to look like that.
Yes, obesity is an issue, but I think society perceive it as an issue for the wrong reasons. Obese people need to lose weight because of their health, not because it makes them un-attractive like the media claims it does.

Ultimately, only those with weight problems can do something about it and if they don't want to, well it's their life isn't it?

But as for the whole: 'you need to lose weight because thin is beautiful mantra' is just wrong. People should be able to look how they want and there are worse things in the world than being fat.

But yes, comments like: 'this body coudn't hold my personality' are silly- if you want to be fat then fine but at least be honest about it :smile:

I'm not saying we should endorse obesity, but no one deserves to be made feel bad for how they look. There should be more focus on the health side of things, IMO.
(edited 11 years ago)
Sizing is a load of crap.. You can still be skinny but large in certain places..

I wear size 10/12 and I'm not morbidly obese.
Reply 50
I agree. And people like Adele who endorse being overweight and say they 'won't loose weight for the cameras'...
It's not for the bloody cameras it's for your own health!
Reply 51
Original post by Tabzqt
x

This is a rant.
I HATE this hypocrisy. The other day I was with my friend whom I hadn't seen in a while, and we were looking for Prom dresses. So, I told her I was trying to lose some weight, since I didn't want to be fat anymore, and I wanted to look back at my Prom pictures and see a beautiful girl. Her response was:

'Oh, but it's just the media that's making you think you need to be skinny! That's not REALISTIC! Real women have curves.'

I mean, sure curves are nice, but rolls of fat do not = curves in my opinion. And women are women despite the fact that they may not be Beyonce. And stuff like that is REALLY mean. Do people really think that skinny people have no feelings?? I mean, my really skinny friend once saw a photo that had a skinny girl and a curvy girl, and it was something along the lines of, 'real women have curves'. She just smiled sadly and said 'That's true, they do.' Why should she be made to feel like less of a person? I get that fat people get the same treatment, but why fight it with more bullying?

I think we need less of 'it's okay, you don't need to lose weight, you're beautiful just the way you are' and a little bit more tough love. You don't need to conform to media standards, but the moment you become overweight, you know something's wrong.

Rant over.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Anime Lover
Seriously? XD Maybe we're buying the wrong things! All of their skirts just hang off me but their sizes might vary on both sides of the spectrum. They're definitely inaccurate sizes, whether they're over or under what the actual size should be :tongue:

Yeah, the RI sizing is awful. It's not consistently small or big, which is frustrating. It just varies hugely from garment to garment.
I didn't even realise people were different sizes until I was about 12... There was one girl at primary school that was huge but I never saw her as fat, just big in general. More needs to be done to combat body problems (obesity, anorexia) but likewise more needs to be done to make people become more accepting of their bodies. They shouldn't need compliments to affirm their thinness or attractiveness, and I'm sick of seeing on covers of magazines photos of stupid celebrities in bikinis, either having put on or lost weight. There's too much emphasis on image but it shouldn't be at the forefront of our society unless it is causing a health problem. More emphasis should be put on academic role models instead of "plus-sized" or skinny models.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Yeah, the RI sizing is awful. It's not consistently small or big, which is frustrating. It just varies hugely from garment to garment.

That's the same for the H! by Henry Holland range. Their size 8 bottoms hang off me but I'm normally a size 14 in their tops, and I am far from top heavy!
Reply 55
Original post by Miss G
This is a rant.
I HATE this hypocrisy. The other day I was with my friend whom I hadn't seen in a while, and we were looking for Prom dresses. So, I told her I was trying to lose some weight, since I didn't want to be fat anymore, and I wanted to look back at my Prom pictures and see a beautiful girl. Her response was:

'Oh, but it's just the media that's making you think you need to be skinny! That's not REALISTIC! Real women have curves.'

I mean, sure curves are nice, but rolls of fat do not = curves in my opinion. And women are women despite the fact that they may not be Beyonce. And stuff like that is REALLY mean. Do people really think that skinny people have no feelings?? I mean, my really skinny friend once saw a photo that had a skinny girl and a curvy girl, and it was something along the lines of, 'real women have curves'. She just smiled sadly and said 'That's true, they do.' Why should she be made to feel like less of a person? I get that fat people get the same treatment, but why fight it with more bullying?

I think we need less of 'it's okay, you don't need to lose weight, you're beautiful just the way you are' and a little bit more tough love. You don't need to conform to media standards, but the moment you become overweight, you know something's wrong.

Rant over.

good luck losing that weight :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by Wilfred Little
The only women who say things like "real women have curves" are insecure women who are trying to convince themselves they're happy being the size they are, despite starting a new fad diet that consists of peas, water and dust every 3 weeks.

Haha! So true!
Reply 57
Original post by battycatlady
Ultimately, only those with weight problems can do something about it and if they don't want to, well it's their life isn't it?

It is their life but being overweight has an effect on other people

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Remember there is wearing ease. If you put someone with a 30" waist into a pair of trousers with no elasticity which measured exactly 30" they'd be quite uncomfortable. So some of that difference is the ease.

(Google 'dressmaking ease' or 'tailoring ease' for more information)

I probably didn't make as much sense as I could've there. I meant I'd had a 34" waist (say, I forget exact measurements at the time), and was wearing a pair of shorts labelled '30" waist'. Actual measurements I grant you won't match the waist size!
Original post by LewisG123
Stupid sayings like "big is beautiful" when did this all start?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's PC. Like we also call terrorists law abiding citizens.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending