The Student Room Group

Nottingham vs cardiff

Hi :smile: So I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this decision: I have offers to study medicine at Cardiff and Nottingham. I'm a European student and have no links to the UK so I don't know either city well. I'm really attracted to both unis but for different reasons. I think Nottingham's campus is gorgeous and everything is all in the one place which is nice and I know it has a slightly better reputation than Cardiff as a university. The thing is I kind of fell in love with Cardiff as a city when I visited it and in many ways I think the course might suit me better (earlier patient contact mostly). I've also heard that Nottingham can be a little rough? I don't want to go with a gut feeling just based on what I saw in two days though. I know that cardiff has a new curriculum that will be implemented next year and I'm wary as well about being the first year to try it out. Do medical students from either uni have any information that would help me? Or even people who know the cities well? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :redface:
Course > City, I promise. Nottingham is gorgeous (it's my home town!) but Cardiff is hardly ugly :smile: If you feel you'll get on with the course more, I'd suggest going with Cardiff :smile: I don't think you'll struggle to live as a student in either city as both are relatively affordable and have a relatively large student base :smile:
Reply 2
Hello! I've never been to Cardiff, however I love in Nottingham :smile: the area isn't as rough as people suggest, most parts of Nottingham are lovely! All cities have their rough areas!

My advice would be to look at Unistats and see what the students have to say about the Universities in general. Also look at the courses and compare them, to see which bit are favourable to you.

Both are lovely places and I'm sure wherever you go you will enjoy it!

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MattKneale
Course > City, I promise. Nottingham is gorgeous (it's my home town!) but Cardiff is hardly ugly :smile: If you feel you'll get on with the course more, I'd suggest going with Cardiff :smile: I don't think you'll struggle to live as a student in either city as both are relatively affordable and have a relatively large student base :smile:

What's Nottingham city like? Are there any rock/ metal clubs? How's the shopping? I imagine the music venues are good enough since I've just booked alter bridge/ shinedown/ halestorm tickets for October. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Hippokrates
What's Nottingham city like? Are there any rock/ metal clubs? How's the shopping? I imagine the music venues are good enough since I've just booked alter bridge/ shinedown/ halestorm tickets for October. :smile:

Rock City is amazing, I frequent there, they get lots of gigs and there are several other venues across the city, such as rescue rooms. Worth checking out their websites :smile:
Shopping is good too, two shopping centres in the city centre. Suits me quite well, I'll really miss the city actually :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

As above Rock City is the best place, the upstairs is more of of a indie rock night but the Basement area is much more metal. If you like more chilled out stuff as well Bodega is a really good place for open mic stuff and upcoming artists :smile:

Shopping is just about the same as any other major city :smile: Two shopping centres: Victoria Centre and Broadmarsh, the latter of which is pretty ****ty but the former is good :smile: Loads of shops in the City Centre too so I wouldn't worry much about that.

Is that not just the best line up in years?

Join Rocksoc; weekly socials and you'll meet loads of people, some of whom you'll be able to go to see Alter Bridge with. As an added bonus, you get £1 entry to Rock City. For a more extreme metal night, Perdition at the Maze is ?monthly and plays some really nasty ****. :biggrin:
Probably nottingham because I live there, I have never been to Cardiff so I can't say you should go there. Only places to avoid is, Clifton, Stapleford, Wollaton and Beeston Rylands. The rest is ok and Nottingham uni is good and have tons of courses, loads of cheap flats near campus and the bus service is brill! Loads of places to go in the mean time and near to shopping centre, pubs clubs, libraries, bank ad advice centres. Good luck choosing!
Original post by Sphodromantis
Probably nottingham because I live there, I have never been to Cardiff so I can't say you should go there. Only places to avoid is, Clifton, Stapleford, Wollaton and Beeston Rylands. The rest is ok and Nottingham uni is good and have tons of courses, loads of cheap flats near campus and the bus service is brill! Loads of places to go in the mean time and near to shopping centre, pubs clubs, libraries, bank ad advice centres. Good luck choosing!

Wollaton is gorgeous! Stapleford not so much. Other places to avoid: Meadows and St Anne's.

Quick Reply