The Student Room Group

Job as a Mystery Shopper / Restricted product purchaser

So, I was looking of ways to fund my gap year and came across this:

http://www.servelegal.co.uk/apply

Basically, if you're almost 18, or you are 18 or 19, you can become an age-restricted product purchaser. They pay you to buy age-restricted products and see if you get IDed by the retailer, and you get to KEEP the stuff you buy!

I am currently employed by a supermarket, so I'm not sure whether they'll let me do this in addition to working as a cashier :/

Anyway, good stuff if anybody's looking to earn a bit of dough! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think the issue would be if you work for a supermarket that uses servelegal's services then that would be a conflict of interests.

We get 8 servelegal visits a year in our store. Looking at the information we get in our report is not a lot of work for a decent amount of money. And free booze... :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Deleted for personal reasons
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Flying Pig
Yeah, I sent them an e-mail inquiring about it:

Dear Sir / Madam,

I was considering applying to become a 'Mystery Visitor' for your company 'Serve Legal'. I just wanted to inquire whether or not you employ people who currently work at supermarkets.

I work as a cashier at a supermarket in my town, and was looking to do some extra work with your company. I see that you do not conduct assessments for the supermarket I currently work for.. Would I be able to apply?

Regards,
<NAME>

They replied with:
Hi <NAME>,

Thank you for your interest in Serve Legal. That is fine to apply even if you currently work in a supermarket, if anything it will help as you probably have a good knowledge of challenge 21 policy’s etc.

Looking forward to receiving your application.

Regards,
<NAME>

So, when I've renewed my passport, I'm going to apply :P Actually, do you think I can apply for the job with a 3 week expired passport? :/

I've not worked for that company but I told the company I did work for that I had an expired passport and they asked me to use it to check if the store was only accepting valid ID's. Not sure how other companies stand on that though.
Original post by curtis871
I've not worked for that company but I told the company I did work for that I had an expired passport and they asked me to use it to check if the store was only accepting valid ID's. Not sure how other companies stand on that though.

Wow. I think that's over-the-top don't you think??
How much do they pay you?

I looked into a mystery shopper job once, it was £10 per job and you had to take photos and make a little report about the shop (service, look of the shop, etc).
Reply 6
Wow. I think that's over-the-top don't you think??

Yes but they paid so I wasn't going to question it :tongue:.

Original post by Runninground
How much do they pay you?

I looked into a mystery shopper job once, it was £10 per job and you had to take photos and make a little report about the shop (service, look of the shop, etc).

I've only had one job where they asked for photos, normally they require you to blend in and taking photos doesn't help with that. It's been between £5 and £50 + transport costs for me. Exit surveys (through some of the same companies) have offered either minimum wage or between 50 pence and £3 per completed survey when I looked. I only ever did one though and found it boring during the quiet periods so wont bother again unless my hours are drastically cut or there's one closer to me.
Yes but they paid so I wasn't going to question it :tongue:.

I've only had one job where they asked for photos, normally they require you to blend in and taking photos doesn't help with that. It's been between £5 and £50 + transport costs for me. Exit surveys (through some of the same companies) have offered either minimum wage or between 50 pence and £3 per completed survey when I looked. I only ever did one though and found it boring during the quiet periods so wont bother again unless my hours are drastically cut or there's one closer to me.

Do they make you travel far?

Oh, and there's always a few regular customers, who I suspect are mystery shoppers :P
Reply 8
Do they make you travel far?

Oh, and there's always a few regular customers, who I suspect are mystery shoppers :P

It's only the exit surveys that are never near me. Everything else has been fairly close.

Lol quite a few of the places near me now know I used to do mystery shopping. I could catch them by surprise and start again I guess :tongue:
It's only the exit surveys that are never near me. Everything else has been fairly close.

Lol quite a few of the places near me now know I used to do mystery shopping. I could catch them by surprise and start again I guess :tongue:

It does sound fun. I rather like the idea of pretending to be a spy. Oh, and I like the idea of free stuff xD
Is anyone signed up to and working for any mystery shopping sites? :smile: Im wanting to start doing a bit of this for extra cash but I'm very aware that some of these sites will be scams looking for bank details etc.....so anyone know of any that are definitely genuine?
Original post by SpottedZebra
Is anyone signed up to and working for any mystery shopping sites? :smile: Im wanting to start doing a bit of this for extra cash but I'm very aware that some of these sites will be scams looking for bank details etc.....so anyone know of any that are definitely genuine?

I'll be applying next month, ontop of my current job.

I need to wait to re-new my passport first :/
I'll be applying next month, ontop of my current job.

I need to wait to re-new my passport first :/

Which website were you thinking of applying for? :smile:
Which website were you thinking of applying for? :smile:

A lot of them.
A lot of them.

Do you know any good ways of checking its not a scam? :smile:
Reply 15
Hey, for Serve Legal do you have to be 18 or nearly 18? I'm 18 in November but I'd like to do it this summer so...
Do you know any good ways of checking its not a scam? :smile:

Tbh I didn't bother checking other than that the site looked legit but doing it now i'd ask around on here and see if any trusted media sources had mentioned them. I'm just starting it up again so will post later which ones I like from before that are still around (at least 2 have merged and don't seem as good tb).

Original post by LucyO_103
Hey, for Serve Legal do you have to be 18 or nearly 18? I'm 18 in November but I'd like to do it this summer so...

Name doesn't ring a bell so it might be a different company or things might have changed from when I did it but they took 18-19 for one type and 17 for another. I will look through my emails for the one I did. Might have been retail maxim, I used them more than the others but they tended to pay less.
Original post by LucyO_103

If you're 17 and 9/10 months you can apply.
I work for Serve Legal. You have to be 18 or 19 as most of the clients using Serve Legal are testing their challenge 21/25 policies. You can not work if you are under 18 as you are required to buy age restricted products, alcohol, cigarettes, placing a bet etc. It is a part-time, flexible role which is ideal to fit in around other part-time work or studies. Jobs are allocated and paid for on a per visit basis. The more you are willing to travel the more visits you will be given.

Let me know if you have any more questions about the role
Just curious...

What is the point of getting to keep the stuff?

Alcohol - Don't drink personally - some drink, fine.
Knives - pointless keeping?
Cigarettes - pointless keeping? (Seeing most people don't smoke.)
Tanning - pointless..

etc...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending