The Student Room Group

Is Sharia Law vs British Law - Which is more moral?

Poll

Which is better for an equal, moral justice system?

i'VE often wondered myself. If we took a look at Sharia, would we like it? should we be more open minded to

Edit: i've changed my mind after seeing this...

it?[video="youtube;wRVM10qs_Ts"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRVM10qs_Ts[/video]
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm sure most people have misconceptions about Sharia Law as we will probably see from some posts here. Did you know that under Sharia Law citizens are given free water,gas and electricity?
Reply 2
i cant have sex under Sharia law so British
Reply 3
Well, British law allows us to do pretty much anything we choose, as long as we don't seriously injure, kill, or steal from others. And people don't get executed for being gay.

Yeeaaah, close call
Reply 4
An eye for an eye (or paralysis for paralysis, even) is not my thing and I don't see any room for it in the UK.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/04/saudi-arabian-paralysis-sentence-grotesque
What do you mean by 'Is Sharia Law vs British Law'?

I would never support sharia law.
Reply 6
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent

Why not, Sir?
Original post by RealRecReal
Why not, Sir?

I'm a libertarian. It's antithetical to my view of government and law.
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent

Good lad, you'd be mad to.
Reply 9
No muslim will ever agree on Shariah law. Saudi arabia definitely is not an example of shariah law, because islam does not forbid women to drive , work ect.

The truth is that Shariah Law IS derived from the hadith and teachings of the Quran BUT there are many schools of thought in Islam and many disagree with even the most fundamental concepts, and ideas.

A minority are extremists - like the Saudis.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
I'm no expert in Shari'ah but is it not preferred that the guilty person be forgiven for the sake of pleasing God, before the eye-for-an-eye thing?
Reply 11
They are not even comparable. Shariah is derived from a rigid source written in the 7th century and cannot be changed with changing times. British law may have its short comings, but at least it can be improved upon and not restricted to change.
I like bacon too much to even consider Sharia.
British - It is far superior than Sharia, I do not want Sharia at all. It is not good at all. We must continue with British law and shun foreign laws based on religion. Sharia - It is superior, more moral. People should be more open minded to the idea. They may even begin voting for it themselves.

Those aren't loaded poll options at all :rolleyes:

As a woman I believe that I should be treated equally to men. The idea of being prevented from seeking a divorce from my abusive husband does not amuse me, and nor does the idea of losing custody of my children to my abusive ex-husband.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9975937/Inside-Britains-Sharia-courts.html
Reply 14
Shall we pick a progressive justice system that has adapted to the modern notions of liberty and social justice, or shall we just grab a justice system out of 7th and 8th century Arabia and use it as is?

Hmmm.
Not even a competition, Shariah is based on objective morals, whereas British Law is something that is legislated by man, prone to continues change [every 10 years or so] based on social pressure and various other factors.

Original post by Skip_Snip
Well, British law allows us to do pretty much anything we choose, as long as we don't seriously injure, kill, or steal from others. And people don't get executed for being gay.

Yeeaaah, close call

You don't get executed for simply being gay in Sharia either.

Like 99% of the people replying to this thread would never have picked up a book on Shariah.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Perseveranze
Not even a competition, Shariah Law is based on objective morals, whereas British Law is something that is legislated by man, prone to continues change [every 10 years or so] based on social pressure and various other factors.

Like 99% of the people replying to this thread would never have picked up a book on Shariah.

It's based on what you perceive to be objective morals. It's actually based on abstract rules from centuries ago.
Reply 17
Original post by Perseveranze

Sure, let people "simply be gay" but not commit homosexual acts because of morals from a 7th century fairytale ...
Reply 18
Not that I agree that one system is more 'moral' than the other, but given the choice I'd prefer British law over Sharia any day.
Reply 19
Hahahahahahahahahaha best troll thread I've ever seen, well done!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending