The Student Room Group

The European/World Football Thread III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
There's been a massive overkill of Barca/Madrd and Dortmund/Bayern.. think I would rather see..

Barca v Dortmund
Bayern v Madrid

I think that match up has both teams which play the most similar style of play - with Barca/Dortmund, both try to play passing games with pressing high up the pitch - with Madrid/Bayern, both play some passing but also play with pace on the counter.

Would agree that would be pretty awesome. First we have to get through though.

Original post by KingMessi
Yes, I agree. Villa Fabregas Sanchez would be ideal for me. If Sanchez is coming into form now, then just play him. As a forward myself, there's nothing more detrimental to one's confidence than playing very well in a game, but then being dropped for the next one because of below-par performances over the previous months.

I wanted Barcelona v Madrid and Munich v Borussia - two very nice single-nation clashes, hopefully culminating in a Barcelona - Bayern final.

Pedro may not be fully fit and i dunno whether they will start Tello. So the real conundrums are who pairs with Pique up front and does Messi play? If not who starts up front.
Original post by Malevolent
Would agree that would be pretty awesome. First we have to get through though.

Pedro may not be fully fit and i dunno whether they will start Tello. So the real conundrums are who pairs with Pique up front and does Messi play? If not who starts up front.

Bartra, surely, with Pique. And Messi can be rested, and Sanchez can start.
There's been a massive overkill of Barca/Madrd and Dortmund/Bayern.. think I would rather see..

Barca v Dortmund
Bayern v Madrid

I think that match up has both teams which play the most similar style of play - with Barca/Dortmund, both try to play passing games with pressing high up the pitch - with Madrid/Bayern, both play some passing but also play with pace on the counter.

Yes, those two games would also work for me, and would still facilitate a Barcelona - Bayern final.
Bartra, surely, with Pique. And Messi can be rested, and Sanchez can start.

Dunno there's talks it could be Adriano slotting in there or even Song.
Reply 24
Pique, Adriano, Alba, Song, Silva and Lavezzi one card away from 1 match ban.
oooo thats not good :l
Reply 26
The German Football League is considering moving its off-season from the summer to the winter in order to make best use of the weather, says Die Welt.

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rumenigge said: "We do not play football in Germany from May to August is, although we have the best weather in these months the. I think it could be better to take a break when the weather is bad here."

Have to say I agree with him..

That would make so much sense, also thinking about it would probably benefit german football economically. People would have much more time for games if they're on their holidays in the summer in comparison to the winter. Plus I won't be bored as ****.

I'm guessing that every 2 years they'll just put a mid season break for the world cup/euros.
Dunno there's talks it could be Adriano slotting in there or even Song.

If Song is fit then he would be a good choice, but from what I can understand Bartra has done very well recently.
If Song is fit then he would be a good choice, but from what I can understand Bartra has done very well recently.

Yeah I think Me and Jam both agreed Bartra when he plays has been very good but i dunno if Villanova thinks its just too big a stage to play him. Wouldn't mind Song been impressed when he plays seems to break up play very well and also strong in the air.
Reply 29
Yeah I think Me and Jam both agreed Bartra when he plays has been very good but i dunno if Villanova thinks its just too big a stage to play him. Wouldn't mind Song been impressed when he plays seems to break up play very well and also strong in the air.

Would you say song has been a good signing? I don't think i've seen song play that badly for you guys but his limited gametime(playing the keita role) is probably why people say he's been a bad signing.

One thing I noticed about barca is that you have improved your squad depth immensely since 2011, to the point I'd say your whole squad is easily better than madrids which wasn't the case 2 years ago. You have two players for every position and can make a first 11 from academy players that could beat 90% of teams in the world without too much problems... even though defence is always slated you have bartra, pique, puyol, mascherano, song and abidal who can play the role well and no longer have afellay as the only backup to villa and pedro or thiago as the only backup to xavi.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Would you say song has been a good signing? I don't think i've seen song play that badly for you guys but his limited gametime(playing the keita role) is probably why people say he's been a bad signing.

One thing I noticed about barca is that you have improved your squad depth immensely since 2011, to the point I'd say your whole squad is easily better than madrids which wasn't the case 2 years ago. You have two players for every position and can make a first 11 from academy players that could beat 90% of teams in the world without too much problems... even though defence is always slated you have bartra, pique, puyol, mascherano, song and abidal who can play the role well and no longer have afellay as the only backup to villa and pedro or thiago as the only backup to xavi.

See I like Song. When hes played hes been solid. People were saying he couldn't defend but hes been extremely disciplined. Would like to see him play a little more give Busquets more rest. Jordi Alba however has been one of the signings of the season I would say. Could be biased but damn has he been a revelation for us. It is hard for Song to try break through when Busquets is playing in front but to have him as cover if Busquets ever went down would leave me feeling pretty good to cope.

Agree with your point our Squad depth has improved. Need to strengthen CB for when Puyol goes and also keeper. (Valdes fail). Nice to have Abidal back as well who can go CB or LB.
Reply 31
I'm gonna put up another CL thread as this thread is just gonna be littered with the CL posts for the next month.
See I like Song. When hes played hes been solid. People were saying he couldn't defend but hes been extremely disciplined. Would like to see him play a little more give Busquets more rest. Jordi Alba however has been one of the signings of the season I would say. Could be biased but damn has he been a revelation for us. It is hard for Song to try break through when Busquets is playing in front but to have him as cover if Busquets ever went down would leave me feeling pretty good to cope.

Agree with your point our Squad depth has improved. Need to strengthen CB for when Puyol goes and also keeper. (Valdes fail). Nice to have Abidal back as well who can go CB or LB.

Alba has been a great signing, offers so much going forward. Doesn't have the technique of alves but that ridiculous pace makes up for it. True I think puyol has 2 seasons left.
Original post by jam277
I'm gonna put up another CL thread as this thread is just gonna be littered with the CL posts for the next month.

Alba has been a great signing, offers so much going forward. Doesn't have the technique of alves but that ridiculous pace makes up for it. True I think puyol has 2 seasons left.

Yeah do it man. Too blocked up this thread with CL.

Yes, I thought so. To be honest, I can't imagine Villanova being too tentative about playing him, although Song certainly wins on experience. Madrid showed faith in Varane and that seems to have succeeded, so I'd like to see Barcelona do the same.

Yeah do it man. Too blocked up this thread with CL.

I've always thought that we needed an exclusive Champions League thread, personally.
Yes, I thought so. To be honest, I can't imagine Villanova being too tentative about playing him, although Song certainly wins on experience. Madrid showed faith in Varane and that seems to have succeeded, so I'd like to see Barcelona do the same.

I've always thought that we needed an exclusive Champions League thread, personally.

We have one now! Jam created one :thumbsup:
Reply 35

I always was impressed with varane even last season. I remember when people were saying varane is a weak point for madrid when united were facing them when really varane had two boss games.
Original post by jam277
I always was impressed with varane even last season. I remember when people were saying varane is a weak point for madrid when united were facing them when really varane had two boss games.

I don't recall seeing him at all last season - it's a little silly: I thought he might become one of those frequent examples of 'wasted talent'. Obviously real football isn't like FM, though - one can't win the league with a side of predominantly under-twenty-three players and clearly he just needed some time. Do you think he'll become Madrid's first choice next season?

We have one now! Jam created one :thumbsup:

I know, I just posted in it. :smile:
Reply 37
I'm in :colone:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 38
I don't recall seeing him at all last season - it's a little silly: I thought he might become one of those frequent examples of 'wasted talent'. Obviously real football isn't like FM, though - one can't win the league with a side of predominantly under-twenty-three players and clearly he just needed some time. Do you think he'll become Madrid's first choice next season?

I know, I just posted in it. :smile:

He already is first choice I believe. He played one or two games, dead rubber matches in the CL e.g. vs apoel and was the third/4th choice player, he played in front of carvalho in the pecking order and competed with albiol for game time.

Bit in bold, tell that to alan hansen and SAF :lol: but yeah get your point.
Reply 39
Original post by jam277
x

You asked me about Porto and Moutinho in the other European thread...

Joao has been injured this season so Izmaylov has come in for a few games as to Castro. As much I admire Castro sadly he doesn’t offer quite the same as what Joao does. Joao will be a loss. However, like I always say, we’re used to losing important players and expect to lose them to the greater leagues in Europe. We’ve been linked to Hector Herrera, it went as far as saying we had actually signed him, only for this to not be completely true but reports (as does himself “apparently”) say don’t rule it out for it to actually happen.

I don’t think you can ever find the perfect replacement for some of the players we’ve had over the years but you just have to take Falcao / Jackson Martinez as an example. By no means have we replaced Falcao but Jackson is a natural finisher just like Falcao was. Jackson is an absolute beast and uses his strength to his advantage which is the opposite of Falcao who offered us a bit more skill to the game. I don’t think you can replace these players but we do a good job in finding someone else who offer us something similar.

aa22
x

Kelvin couldn’t have made a greater substitute’s impact as he did on Monday. Wow. 2 goals in 3 minutes, 2 really important goals too. I honestly thought we weren’t going to find that winning goal. Alans goal was fantastic.

Yeah, a toughie next week with Sporting. Hopefully Sporting can get their third consecutive last minute victory! :tongue: Ha. But yeah, these next few days all important for Benfica. Europa, Taca and then the Liga. You’d think it was a set of Portistas who have planned the fixtures like this, Sporting are one of the last teams you’d want to face in the league after those two games!

Quick Reply

Latest