The Student Room Group

Bad UCAS reference

I emailed my college lecturer asking if she would write my reference and she said she wouldn't have a problem doing it. However she said "I will have to be honest and say that you haven't done great in your prelim and that you're attendance isn't great".

Now when i was in school last year, my guidance teacher wrote the reference and just didn't mention any bad things so I thought that was what every referee did.

I'm really p****d off and worried about this. How will it affect my chances of getting into uni?
Quite a lot probably. Referees have one duty only - to tell the truth.
Original post by balotelli12
Quite a lot probably. Referees have one duty only - to tell the truth.

Yeah, because a reference is a legal document whereby UCAS or any future employer will look at what others have said aboutyou which can be based on you college/school ....

Do you ever get to see your reference ?
UCAS have to let you have a copy if you request it for which you pay a fee. The referee is under no obligation to let you see it.
Reply 4
UCAS have to let you have a copy if you request it for which you pay a fee. The referee is under no obligation to let you see it.

I requested a copy of my UCAS and there was no reference, just my own personal statement and grades.
Reply 5
Original post by EagleWing
I requested a copy of my UCAS and there was no reference, just my own personal statement and grades.

You have to pay £10 for it
Reply 6
Original post by Juno
You have to pay £10 for it

I payed £15 :/
You didn't ask for a copy of the reference. If you did they HAVE to let you have it for a fee.
Reply 8
You didn't ask for a copy of the reference. If you did they HAVE to let you have it for a fee.

Hmm, I will ring them up and ask why the reference is missing. I'm interested to know what was written about me. Or maybe ignorance is bliss xD
Reply 9
if you've got a job, surely you could ask them to write a reference? I'm not sure though, you'd have to ask someone who knows the ins and outs of UCAS .
But yes, a bad reference won't help you much.. unless you've written an amazing statement with amazing grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending