The Student Room Group

For those who hate MUSIC GCSE....

Scroll to see replies

I really don't like it :L

My teacher is completely irritating and the whole department at my school are the most unorganised people that you could ever imagine. She's always like "why aren't you confident? You should play this perfectly! You need to change" and she thinks everyone should be able to do everything.

I just think the GCSE in general ruins the love for music that many people have. Some people still enjoy it (though I don't know why) but I think all the composing drags on, the listening exam is kind of weird (even though I got an A, it wasn't fun preparing for) and the performances are so scary.

I'll be so glad when it's over. I've got to write the appraisal for a composition the first two days back and then I think I've finished everything. I might then revise some subjects that are more important like Spanish and French and show my teacher that I have talents, just not for music!
Reply 2
Music is the bane of my existence. Our music department consists of one teacher... -_- and I feel everything is just being crammed right now. The performance is ok compared to composition an theory! Theory exam is coming up and I'm seriously just going to flunk it. Which instrument do you play? I play piano. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
And i agree, gcse music really does just destroy peoples passion for music. What even is the need for theory. -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Really?! I loved it! People were awesome. We did 3 years for GCSE instead of the standard 2. So my Yr 9, 10 teachers for music were friggin terrible. Very nice people though. Our Y11 teacher, helped us to pass basically. If we had continued with the same teachers, we would have failed. Composition and performance were my favourite sections of it. Theory - obviously - did not like very much.

And so i took it at A-level. Compositoin and performance is all finished. So now all the music lessons are depressing as hell. Teachers are cool though :smile: Let us bring pizzas to lessons hehe
Reply 5
Ahhh you're lucky to have 3 years doing it. :/ The teacher expects us to know everything and all she ever does is panic. I'm beyond giving a care now. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jina
Music is the bane of my existence. Our music department consists of one teacher... -_- and I feel everything is just being crammed right now. The performance is ok compared to composition an theory! Theory exam is coming up and I'm seriously just going to flunk it. Which instrument do you play? I play piano. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I play piano too! I played clarinet for a while as well, but quit because I didn't really like it.

I don't like the theory because it's quite biased to certain instruments. It's ok having a question about violins doing their thing, but you're never going to know as much as someone that actually plays that instrument. You can revise, but if you've played it, it'd be easier (if that makes sense.) I know that sounds quite bitter in a way, but it's the only way I can put it. I'm not complaining because I got an A, but some people really struggled because of that. It seems to be quite down to luck, but maybe there'll be a huge question about piano, who knows?

But I totally felt the same way last year. I was stressing so much, I did so so bad on the mock and I was terrified. I revised for two days going over all the key terms on BBC Bitesize and used them and did ok. That was really helpful, they also had samples of different listening material. :smile:

Good luck!! (And to anyone else too)
Original post by Jina
Ahhh you're lucky to have 3 years doing it. :/ The teacher expects us to know everything and all she ever does is panic. I'm beyond giving a care now. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Sorry for two posts, I have more to say!)

My teachers expect us to know everything as well. They think that because we take music lessons outside of school we'd know all the theory stuff, when in fact all the grades I've done have been totally different. Because of their way of thinking like that, they never teach proper lessons and rely on luck.
Reply 8
My teacher refused to let me take the exam, so I got a U. I just turned up and she said, "what are you doing here?" and sent me home. :s-smilie: Nasty woman.
Reply 9
Ahhh I think we're different exam boards! Your course sounds way different and harder if anything! :/
We have set music studies to learn and theory consists of answering questions for them. Congratulations on your A though! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jina
Ahhh I think we're different exam boards! Your course sounds way different and harder if anything! :/
We have set music studies to learn and theory consists of answering questions for them. Congratulations on your A though! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did AQA, but I know some other exam boards do it differently. Which board are you with?
Reply 11
Im doing EdExcel :/ exams in a few weeks and blahh.... I don't even want to think about doing theory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Peripetie is just noise hahahaa
Reply 13
Haha omg i think we're doing the same exam board! I hate Peripetie! Only Mozart, Koko and Capercaille are decent. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by izzypowell
Peripetie is just noise hahahaa

Sorry forgot to quote you on last post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeh to be fair some are alright but others i have no interest in whatso ever. It think its a little pointless having to learn facts that something who doesn't even do music could memorise. and why does there have to be 12!! ahhhhhh
Reply 16
Haha. I know right! It makes no sense to me whatsoever! I feel so lost all the time! :frown:
Rag desh needs to eat it's own head.

The 12 thing kills me too! There could've been 6... 12 is like Jeeeez!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Rag desh might as well be 3 pieces, and a language lesson at the same time. Why should all the definitions be so important in a music exam grrrrr. I'm just happy im not taking it for A-level
Reply 18
Original post by izzypowell
Rag desh might as well be 3 pieces, and a language lesson at the same time. Why should all the definitions be so important in a music exam grrrrr. I'm just happy im not taking it for A-level

Hahaha rag desh isn't the only language lesson... The german one and nearly all set study 4 is foreign. It gets to me. Why! Why! I get E's and D's in the mocks! Lol what about you? I'm going to be FReE the day after music exam! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
well i get like c's in mocks which isnt too bad, but i had kinda revised. But now the real exam is coming up and i literally dont have time for it, because im not doing it later in life its not really my main focus but i still wanna pass it. Hopefully my coursework will boast my grade up! I cant wait for it to be overr

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending