The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 1 May 14th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'm doing a source exam on that day I think, do you do OCR?

Yes I do OCR- I'm doing Germany from 1933 -63 with also understanding of before e.g. Weimar years (but that's all of GCSE). You?
A past paper question on Population:

For any two of the following types of area, summarise the contrasts between them and explain the implications of these contrasts for social welfare:

-Inner city
-Suburban
-Rural-urban fringe
-Rural settlement
Reply 42
Original post by homefind
We kinda went overboard on case studies for human

Energy - Geopolitics (Russia/Ukraine Winter gas crisis, Azeri pipeline, Falklands also did BP oil spill and for Nuclear power we briefly did the Chernobyl disaster)

Population - Population and Population Policy (LEDC) = India
Population and Population Policy (MEDC) = China's One Birth Policy,
Population and Policy = Mauritius
Youthful Population = Iran
Ageing Pop = Italy
Comparing Rural and Urban = South Lakeland and Rushholme
Rural-Urban Migration = Brazil
Urban-urban = Poland to Uk
How migration effects urban patterns = Tyneside

But there are also tonnes of others e.g. UK's aging pop plus there's also the different characteristics of areas: innercity = Canning Town & Newham, Suburbs = Richmond Upon Thames, Rural-Urban fringe = Essex, and Rural = Cornwall & Isle of Purbeck. I've also got lots of mini case studies e.g. Uganda Pop.

With Energy we've also done stuff about TNCs - BP and Exonmobil.
OPEC.
different country's energy mixes
Transport case studies - London (Boris Bikes, Crossrail) etc
Also, Feldheim in Germany about energy self-sufficiency and renewables.

These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. :smile:
Reply 43
^Sorry wrong qote :s-smilie:
TheStudent1289
Original post by V95
i'm currently doing A2 - i got 122/140 (A) in Unit 1 - when i revised, all i did was read the textbook, underline and make a few notes inside of it. I found this very helpful; i find that making notes for me personally is just a waste of time, and i tend to get bored lol!

i'd suggest purchasing the CGP revision guide as it's really helpful for case studies and it lays them out in a very helpful manner by having different headings for causes, impacts etc and it tends to divide the impacts into human, physical, social and economic.

Hi im about to do the unit 1 aqa exam and I read you said you highlited the text book, was it slightly fat and blue? My teacher said its only going to get you a c if you just use the textbook, but im doubting that, seeing as you got an a :smile:

Any tips/ notes etc? :biggrin:
Reply 45
Original post by TheStudent1289
A past paper question on Population:

For any two of the following types of area, summarise the contrasts between them and explain the implications of these contrasts for social welfare:

-Inner city
-Suburban
-Rural-urban fringe
-Rural settlement

I'd probably choose inner city and rural settlement and use case study of Rushholme, Manchester (inner city) and South Lakeland, Cumbria (Rural) briefly describe differences in housing, employment, wealth, provision of services, ethnicity and use them to indicate some impacts on social welfare.

Was this a 15 marker? Maybe the use the Burgess Model?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by Dazed.
But there are also tonnes of others e.g. UK's aging pop plus there's also the different characteristics of areas: innercity = Canning Town & Newham, Suburbs = Richmond Upon Thames, Rural-Urban fringe = Essex, and Rural = Cornwall & Isle of Purbeck. I've also got lots of mini case studies e.g. Uganda Pop.

With Energy we've also done stuff about TNCs - BP and Exonmobil.
OPEC.
different country's energy mixes
Transport case studies - London (Boris Bikes, Crossrail) etc
Also, Feldheim in Germany about energy self-sufficiency and renewables.

These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. :smile:

Oh yeah! Forgot about the energy mix case study! We also have done mini case studies, sooo many things to remember for human geography :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd probably choose inner city and rural settlement and use case study of Rushholme, Manchester (inner city) and South Lakeland, Cumbria (Rural) briefly describe differences in housing, employment, wealth, provision of services, ethnicity and use them to indicate some impacts on social welfare.

Was this a 15 marker? Maybe the use the Burgess Model?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have done nothing like that... And Burgess Model? (I'm screwed)
Reply 48

well I'm just pointing out a case study we did along with that topic, and haha I'm not sure if you have to know about that model it was kinda one of them things our teacher told us for extra info for the 15 markers

Posted from TSR Mobile

well I'm just pointing out a case study we did along with that topic, and haha I'm not sure if you have to know about that model it was kinda one of them things our teacher told us for extra info for the 15 markers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Burgess model is just a fancy name for this :tongue:

set_004.gif
Reply 50
Original post by Blueray2

set_004.gif

Pretty much :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You made any notes of population/ answered 6 - 15 mark questions? Send me them please :smile: I'll give you my river /coast notes as well :biggrin:
Reply 52

set_004.gif

So how would you refer to it? I don't know how we weren't told about it when I feel like we've been inundated with information.:smile:
Reply 53
You made any notes of population/ answered 6 - 15 mark questions? Send me them please :smile: I'll give you my river /coast notes as well :biggrin:

Do you have any high level 2/3 15 markers, and I'll trade some of my high level 2/3! This is on population and human only though! :biggrin:. Same applies to anyone else who would like to share. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Original post by Dazed.
So how would you refer to it? I don't know how we weren't told about it when I feel like we've been inundated with information.:smile:

It basically shows what happens when you travel further from the inner city areas, so really I probably wouldn't refer to it, but if I did then I would use it to describe housing, and how businesses are more likely to be in the inner city areas - basically stating the obvious! :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55

well I have made notes on rivers/coasts all ready, I'm not planning to make notes on population topic as the majority of it is case studies, and I'll be using my textbook + CJP revision guide for other parts of pop topic (like all the DTM stuff, migration, rural-urban characteristics etc...) I'm planning to make notes on energy stuff, but haven't started that yet :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
how much revision has everyone done so far? I'm just curious, I've managed about 6ish hours of rivers/coasts and learning case studies for population

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jaydude
Do you have any high level 2/3 15 markers, and I'll trade some of my high level 2/3! This is on population and human only though! :biggrin:. Same applies to anyone else who would like to share. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What mark did you get for them? :smile: Say the number, i got 13 for my one :smile:

well I have made notes on rivers/coasts all ready, I'm not planning to make notes on population topic as the majority of it is case studies, and I'll be using my textbook + CJP revision guide for other parts of pop topic (like all the DTM stuff, migration, rural-urban characteristics etc...) I'm planning to make notes on energy stuff, but haven't started that yet :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i'll have to use the cgp for that as well :smile:

Oh are you going to use the case study in the cgp book for coasts? The one on holderness coast and blackwater etc?

How are you memorizing all of this content? :smile:
Reply 58
What mark did you get for them? :smile: Say the number, i got 13 for my one :smile:

Yeah i'll have to use the cgp for that as well :smile:

Oh are you going to use the case study in the cgp book for coasts? The one on holderness coast and blackwater etc?

How are you memorizing all of this content? :smile:

I'll be using my notes for the holderness case study and then use the guide as recap, and no, not using the soft engineering one I'm doing Wallasea Island, Essex.

I find the best way to remember case studies is firstly make sure your notes are in bulletpoint form, nothing worse when trying to learn a case study that drags on like over 2 pages :biggrin: then I learn them (through reading them/talking about it out loud/telling my mum about it haha - I'm so strange), and go over them in my head every so often to make sure it's imprinted on my brain (kinda creepy :wink:) So far I have managed to learn pretty well, Mauritius, India and china pop policy as well as the rural-urban characteristics, hopefully should have all pop case studies learnt by tomorrow :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll be using my notes for the holderness case study and then use the guide as recap, and no, not using the soft engineering one I'm doing Wallasea Island, Essex.

I find the best way to remember case studies is firstly make sure your notes are in bulletpoint form, nothing worse when trying to learn a case study that drags on like over 2 pages :biggrin: then I learn them (through reading them/talking about it out loud/telling my mum about it haha - I'm so strange), and go over them in my head every so often to make sure it's imprinted on my brain (kinda creepy :wink:) So far I have managed to learn pretty well, Mauritius, India and china pop policy as well as the rural-urban characteristics, hopefully should have all pop case studies learnt by tomorrow :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i'll have to read through mine like 3 times lol and talk about it :biggrin: Thats good! Never knew about the Wallasea Island, Essex ???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending