The Student Room Group

My chemistry tutor added me on facebook

My chemistry tutor added me on facebook. This might sound weird but isnt that crossing the line between being a teacher and a friend? I dont know but there's 4 of us that get him in my year and there's a photo of us 4 and I can just imagine him snooping through my photos and seeing it and stuff. He added one of his other students (my friend) and she accepted so I will probably have to accept cause if not he will ask why I didnt at the next lesson. He is really nice and friendly but a couple of times I felt like he is flirting with me and he is young, he left uni recently. I dont know I just find it creepy that he might look through my photos or whatever and feel like it's crossing a line. Maybe if he added me after I stopped getting him or something but I dont feel its appropriate. Am I being an idiot?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

What year are you in?
Reply 2
Me and my mates were talking with our tutor during tutor time and we found out he had facebook and we said as a joke we'll add him and he explained that we cant have eachother on facebook due to teacher student boundaries etc...

so as far as I know he shouldnt of added you ;/
I had a Maths tutor in Y11 that I had on Facebook. The school got him in to teach 4 of us Add Maths :smile:
He's really nice and owns his own private tutor company now, and he's always happy to help me if I message him a question.
It's for if you get stuck with stuff.
I don't really think it's crossing the line?
Uh, yeah, I can see why you feel like it's a bit weird. It depends what kind of photos you have online I suppose - if they're ones that you would be uncomfortable about him seeing, then don't accept him. If he confronts you about it, you'll just have to tell him the truth, that there are things on there you don't feel are appropriate for your tutor to see. If the photos/messages are just innocent, general stuff and you don't really mind, he's probably not going to go trawling through your timeline...

I think all teachers have access to people's facebooks for security reasons? Or that might just be headteachers.

It does seem a bit odd, but he probably just thinks he's being all cool and hip and down with the kids. Tell him you don't want to accept him if you don't, but I wouldn't worry too much...he sounds kind of harmless and fun.
Reply 5
Original post by Basil Brush
What year are you in?

I'm in fifth year so 16

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Terk
Me and my mates were talking with our tutor during tutor time and we found out he had facebook and we said as a joke we'll add him and he explained that we cant have eachother on facebook due to teacher student boundaries etc...

so as far as I know he shouldnt of added you ;/

Yeah I dunno I just feel weird about it and a little creeped out that he searched for us and that

Posted from TSR Mobile
LOL this reminds me of a Chemistry tutor I had, he's in university atm.
He taught me then whatsapped to arrange another lesson
My whatsapp status was my Instagram username then he followed me on instagram I was like :wut: - I hope that's how he found it anyway...
I stopped the lessons (financial reasons) but we still talk every now and then about revision etc or if I need urgent help.
Felt awks at first but feels normal now because he's not old so we have a lot to talk about etcetc

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had a legend of a history teacher on my Facebook when I was in year 10, but he retired. I do not see anything wrong if he isn't a perv but I guess you could never tell...
I think its normal,, and secondly, u have power if u dont like the teacher, to say to all ur friends "this weirdo added me" so actually the guy (?) also takes a risk adding u, while at the same time his intentions can be 100% friendly !!!
Reply 10
Well according to my teachers (and I go college), that is not allowed. Untill you leave an educational institution that's when you can add them on FB. I find it wierd how he added you and not vice versa, usually it's students who are insistent in wanting to keep in touch with teachers...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
My biology teacher talks to me through facebook but shes know me and my sister's for 6+ years and she knows me well and in class I'm pretty much the only one thst answers so she likes me and I feel comfortable with her and if I was upset I'd go see her if my pastrol care teacher wasnt there but I just feel creeped out by this
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Dusky Mauve
I had a Maths tutor in Y11 that I had on Facebook. The school got him in to teach 4 of us Add Maths :smile:
He's really nice and owns his own private tutor company now, and he's always happy to help me if I message him a question.
It's for if you get stuck with stuff.
I don't really think it's crossing the line?

I probably am just being an idiot, I just feel a bitty creeped out that a twenty year old has added a teenage girl on fb and we do know who the other is but not well. I know thst obviously not everyone one my fb knows me well but I feel creeped out by this for some reason
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _beccawalker
My chemistry tutor added me on facebook. This might sound weird but isnt that crossing the line between being a teacher and a friend? I dont know but there's 4 of us that get him in my year and there's a photo of us 4 and I can just imagine him snooping through my photos and seeing it and stuff. He added one of his other students (my friend) and she accepted so I will probably have to accept cause if not he will ask why I didnt at the next lesson. He is really nice and friendly but a couple of times I felt like he is flirting with me and he is young, he left uni recently. I dont know I just find it creepy that he might look through my photos or whatever and feel like it's crossing a line. Maybe if he added me after I stopped getting him or something but I dont feel its appropriate. Am I being an idiot?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just don't accept
I probably am just being an idiot, I just feel a bitty creeped out that a twenty year old has added a teenage girl on fb and we do know who the other is but not well. I know thst obviously not everyone one my fb knows me well but I feel creeped out by this for some reason
Posted from TSR Mobile

Does he teach you out of school or in school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in fifth year so 16

Yeah I dunno I just feel weird about it and a little creeped out that he searched for us and that

hmmmm ... I think that you should mention this to another teacher at school ... your Head of Year for example

Because it has made you feel uncomfortable
My biology teacher talks to me through facebook but shes know me and my sister's for 6+ years and she knows me well and in class I'm pretty much the only one thst answers so she likes me and I feel comfortable with her and if I was upset I'd go see her if my pastrol care teacher wasnt there but I just feel creeped out by this
Posted from TSR Mobile

Just be careful, it only really for you to tell....as you know him better then any of us, so we can't really judge what kind of person he is.
Reply 17
Original post by BingTaoBing
Uh, yeah, I can see why you feel like it's a bit weird. It depends what kind of photos you have online I suppose - if they're ones that you would be uncomfortable about him seeing, then don't accept him. If he confronts you about it, you'll just have to tell him the truth, that there are things on there you don't feel are appropriate for your tutor to see. If the photos/messages are just innocent, general stuff and you don't really mind, he's probably not going to go trawling through your timeline...

I think all teachers have access to people's facebooks for security reasons? Or that might just be headteachers.

It does seem a bit odd, but he probably just thinks he's being all cool and hip and down with the kids. Tell him you don't want to accept him if you don't, but I wouldn't worry too much...he sounds kind of harmless and fun.

Yeah I think I'm probably overreacting but dont see why he needs us on fb. He is really fun and nice and friendly, I am just being an idiot haha but he already has my email and my mum's number and I liked his fb page cause he asked me to but nothing has ever been posted on it so why does he need to add me on fb? I might do that security thing and not let him see my photos or something like that

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have 3 of my English teachers on Facebook. I added them at the end of year 11 because I knew they would no longer teach me but I'm at the same school for sixth form and I talk to them all the time (not on Facebook though)
Every now and then we may email or a comment is on someone's status and likes but never written on each others walls and any communication is done through message or in person.
It's no awkward from my view because I get on with my English teacher, they are more like friends most of the time. It just depends if you feel comfortable adding your teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Olympiad
Does he teach you out of school or in school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of school, he comes to my house. He used to go to the same school as me and had the same chemistry teacher as me before uni (and shes only in her thirties I think). He is probably just being nice and that but I dont feel it appropriate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending