The Student Room Group

**The "North Korea Watch 2013" Update Thread**

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Lets admit, if Kim Jong does actually have the courage to fire a missile at the US or one of its allies, NK is going to get blown of the face of the earth. Its not like I want it to happen, but I can't think of a country that would side with NK in a conflict against the US, and starting war with the US isn't the cleverest thing to do.
Reply 581
Heard a news bulletin on the radio saying the US have intelligence that North Korea have fuelled at least one missile.
Original post by Idle
Every option is "unwise" in some way. Unless there is actually some solid intelligence that the leadership is falling apart they need to go, sanctions have been tried and are not working. Kim Jong Un I hoped would be a change but he is as much of a nutter as his father.

The international community can shout and moan all they want, when a country says they will nuke another then I cannot see how that is not legitimate grounds for their leadership to be eliminated.

That option would be extremely unwise. Firstly in the eyes of your average north Korean it would be akin to killing Mohamed. They wouldnt just think "ah he's dead now lets become a westernised democracy". They'd more likely launch an all out attack with everything they had not caring about the consequences for themselves. Additionally say we decided to give them the internet so they could come on here and see us talking about how great the death of their beloved leader is. It'd be like Koran burning x 1000. There isn't any opposition in NK to take over in such an eventuality. You don't kill him and have some other party take over because there just isn't one. The country falls into the hands of seething al queda with brains and nukes.
If anything's going to happen, it will happen on the 15th. North Korea's Day of the Sun.
Original post by nikkoch
Lets admit, if Kim Jong does actually have the courage to fire a missile at the US or one of its allies, NK is going to get blown of the face of the earth. Its not like I want it to happen, but I can't think of a country that would side with NK in a conflict against the US, and starting war with the US isn't the cleverest thing to do.

He doesn't and they won't.

The basic problem is that they have so little contact with the outside reality (maybe someone should parachute a mobile phone in to them!) that they think they can simply repeat their previous game of kicking up a huge stink and that they will then be given more wheat and oil. Not sure it will work this time though. The only plausible danger is that they have such a screw loose that, failing to get their own way with all this idiot bluster, they decide they must ramp up by sinking another ship or something. If they are nuts enough to do that again, I very much doubt that SK and the US are going to take it sitting down this time.
It can clearly be seen that Kim is now under pressure at home to actually make it look like he can follow upon his threats, thereby solidifying his authority and consolidating his power.

In the past, we have seen such rhetoric as we see now culminating in a light attack (for example, sinking a sub or shelling an island) and the consequences have been tutting from the international community (and SK!) and "sanctions".

Therefore, if North Korea decides to do as it has done in the past and shell an island or something, will SK and the US simply tut as they have done so before and run off to the UN to demand "sanctions"?

Or will enough really be enough this time?

Similarly, we can surely expect little response but tutting and shaking of heads if NK decides to go ahead with missile/nuclear tests that are said by US officials to be *imminent*? (Of course there is the issue of whether it will be shot down should it pass over any foreign territory like Japan.)
Original post by HumanSupremacist
North Korea: South On Alert For Missile Launch

So, the "Watchcon" status is now two, with the highest being 1 (similar DEFCON).

The unfortunate thing, as analysts agree, is that *something* (we don't know what yet - possibly a missile test etc) must occur. This is because Kim must actually now *do* something after all of these threats, otherwise he will not have cemented his leadership at home.

Ergo, we can definitely expect something to happen, but we just don't know what for certain yet. However, another concern, of course, is what the response will be from the US and her allies. This is the most serious concern (that is, if NK does conduct a test and a test alone and not actually attack) - it is the most serious because all hell could potentially break loose if the missile (presumably a test missile) is shot down, possibly by Japan if the trajectory shows that it will fly over Japan.

If such occurs, then only goodness knows what will happen then.

In short, Kim must do something, otherwise he's most probably *out* - and domestic faith in him will greatly wane.

I don't buy that Kim Jong-un is in any need to cement his leadership. In fact, I don't think any of the analyst's theories completely explain North Korea's actions.
Original post by Unkempt_One
I don't buy that Kim Jong-un is in any need to cement his leadership. In fact, I don't think any of the analyst's theories completely explain North Korea's actions.

What do you suggest then? You believe that this is the real deal and not just threats anymore? :holmes:
Reply 588
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
If anything's going to happen, it will happen on the 15th. North Korea's Day of the Sun.

Let's see of ot dpes
What do you suggest then? You believe that this is the real deal and not just threats anymore? :holmes:

The thing is, the country is so secretive that you are always going on incomplete information. A few commentaries I've read seem to take it as a given that regime preservation is one of the fundamental goals. That makes sense, but it gets me thinking what the purpose of the North Korean regime's existence is, and I think you need to strip the country bare to answer that. All it seems you can really say is that they appear to be trying to force the US and South Korea into one-sided negotiations, but given the severity of the threats, what could they be hoping to extract this time around? I definitely don't think this is the real deal at any rate. They have absolutely nothing to gain from open warfare and everything to lose.
The thing is, the country is so secretive that you are always going on incomplete information. A few commentaries I've read seem to take it as a given that regime preservation is one of the fundamental goals. That makes sense, but it gets me thinking what the purpose of the North Korean regime's existence is, and I think you need to strip the country bare to answer that. All it seems you can really say is that they appear to be trying to force the US and South Korea into one-sided negotiations, but given the severity of the threats, what could they be hoping to extract this time around? I definitely don't think this is the real deal at any rate. They have absolutely nothing to gain from open warfare and everything to lose.

Plus what limited intelligence there is (if there is any) can't be shared without jeopardising its source.

We saw in the Syria endless reports on how the regime was about to fall. Obviously propaganda aimed into Syria its self. The contradictory reports maybe a deliberate attempt to misdirect parties involved in a situation of which we're not aware.

This is all assuming that those in power in NK are acting logically.
Where is the President? Where is the President of the United States?

Obama's busy talking guns as if everything is hunky dory, whilst leaving it to Chuck Hagel to handle things. Maybe they're not too worried? Although Hagel did say today that the military is prepared for the worst case scenario.

Lastly, an interesting story:

There was a book in the 1950s (the mouse that roared) where a tiny nation decided to attack the United States with a tiny "army", expecting that after they surrendered, their economy would prosper by the US providing food and rebuilding their nation.

It isn't too far-fetched to wonder if North Korea has a similar plan. :tongue: :lol:
Reply 594
It can clearly be seen that Kim is now under pressure at home

Can it? How? NK media would never put out a dissenting opinion, it wouldn't be allowed to. No Government official would say anything other than he's a demiGod and nobody else is allowed a public opinion. So how the hell do you come to that conclusion?

I know. I read that early this morning and just shrugged it off LOL - clearly it was important.

My shrugging off of important pieces of news is like a film trailer that shows the buildup to a massive conflict (of course, I know that's just dramatic and I doubt any massive conflict will happen this year) - but we have for example, Russian exercises irking their former USSR republic neighbours, Chinese war games, Iran restarting enrichment, Pakistan missile tests, North Korean threats and missile prep and...a stronger strain of bird flu LOL :ahee:

I'm sure everything will be fine - recent history shows such. Situations will be contained - this isn't 1935 or something and humans naturally have the will to survive.
Original post by Drewski
Can it? How? NK media would never put out a dissenting opinion, it wouldn't be allowed to. No Government official would say anything other than he's a demiGod and nobody else is allowed a public opinion. So how the hell do you come to that conclusion?

Maybe not "clearly" per se, but I am going on the word of US and SK analysts who cite various occurrences which imply such things - such as Kim's aunt and uncle possibly pulling the strings and possible conflict with high-ranking army officers (this is particularly implied due to several demotions and then subsequent promotions and "deaths" etc).

Nevertheless, even so, Kim will still need to do *something* because he needs to cement his authority - he cannot appear weak to high-ranking officials and the people at home.
Reply 597

It's all about money, they need another source of money, that will make them less reliant on China, which is currently the only thing between NK and the abyss. The US is an ideal target for such negotiations, along with SK as these powers don't want to engage in any conflict with NK, buying peace is obviously cheaper than waging war.
Original post by CEKTOP
It's all about money, they need another source of money, that will make them less reliant on China, which is currently the only thing between NK and the abyss. The US is an ideal target for such negotiations, along with SK as these powers don't want to engage in any conflict with NK and buying peace is cheaper than waging war.

Paying to ward off NK aggression would not sit well with American voters. Fox News would probably spin the story and start some hate campaign on Obama if they ever found out of such a thing.
Reply 599
Maybe not "clearly" per se, but I am going on the word of US and SK analysts who cite various occurrences which imply such things - such as Kim's aunt and uncle possibly pulling the strings and possible conflict with high-ranking army officers (this is particularly implied due to several demotions and then subsequent promotions and "deaths" etc).

Nevertheless, even so, Kim will still need to do *something* because he needs to cement his authority - he cannot appear weak to high-ranking officials and the people at home.

I'm pretty sure that after "obliterating" an Army officer with an execution by mortar that he's not going to be facing any dissent... North Korean army minister executed with mortar round

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending