The Student Room Group

Tips on going to a new school for A-Level?

Hey there! To cut a long story short, I have a bit of a problem...I'm going to a new school to study ONE of my A Levels.

Schools in my area have a deal where some A Level courses are offered at different schools, meaning I can join a new school to do a course that isn't offered. So this is what I'm going to do, Biology in a school quite close to ours.

Except my situation is different...I guess I'm what you say an 'exception' as the school is only offering 3 places to other students, which is fine...except it's an all-boys grammar school and I'm a girl!

I have no idea what I'm going to do, it's a big school! I don't know anyone there at all and it makes it worse being an all-boys school!

Has anyone got any tips on fitting in? (Without having to make another 'She's The Man' movie?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

You're going to get hit on 24/7. Have fun.
Reply 2
Original post by SheldonWannabe
You're going to get hit on 24/7. Have fun.

Ah that's what I'm worried about! I'm just not sure how it's all going to work, I'm at a mixed school now and it'll be strange changing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emma.b
Ah that's what I'm worried about! I'm just not sure how it's all going to work, I'm at a mixed school now and it'll be strange changing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, suppose it is pretty weird, I bet it'll be funny though!

(I have no idea why you got negged for that last comment, it wasn't me)
Reply 4
We always had one or two girls at my school - also an all boys - to only do one subject. Nobody thought anything of it and they actually got very little attention. It probably won't be anywhere near as bad as you think. Just relax and take your classes. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by SheldonWannabe
Yeah, suppose it is pretty weird, I bet it'll be funny though!

(I have no idea why you got negged for that last comment, it wasn't me)

It's fine don't worry!
Yeah It'll be a learning curve, but something I'll get used to! Was talking to the head master, he says I'll be fine!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Aquar
We always had one or two girls at my school - also an all boys - to only do one subject. Nobody thought anything of it and they actually got very little attention. It probably won't be anywhere near as bad as you think. Just relax and take your classes. :smile:

Relaxing definitely isn't my strong point but I'll try my hardest. Thank you for the response!:smile:
New school worries are rough, I'll manage though I think!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
i used to go to an all boys and we had this one girl in maths and tbh no one cared we used to have some wicked banter, but yeah you'll probably get hit on though
I was your case last year, I took government and politics at an all boys grammar school but there ended up with two other girls there. Most of them probably have had female contact and won't jump at you with 'hits' and in fact, most of them do nothing.
If your really worried about getting hit on then just ignore them/show your not interested. A-levels are about commitment and I can not stress how important this commitment is. Most of them will also be committed to their A-levels unless their dossers. Don't worry! You go there and just study with effort- no one can touch a girl whose got commitment.
Reply 9
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee
I was your case last year, I took government and politics at an all boys grammar school but there ended up with two other girls there. Most of them probably have had female contact and won't jump at you with 'hits' and in fact, most of them do nothing.
If your really worried about getting hit on then just ignore them/show your not interested. A-levels are about commitment and I can not stress how important this commitment is. Most of them will also be committed to their A-levels unless their dossers. Don't worry! You go there and just study with effort- no one can touch a girl whose got commitment.

A question: are you just lazy or do you genuinely not know that the bold and underlined words are wrong?
Respectively, the mistakes should be corrected as follows:
*you're
*you're
*they're
*who's

To the OP - I am sorry to do this on your thread. :tongue:

Hmm, it seems I'm getting negged! It must be the rest of the population who also can't accept the fact that they cannot speak English. It really is unfortunate...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
I'm in a similar situation to you- I want to do astrophysics as my physics A2 optional unit in September. My school offers biomedical physics which is nothing to do with the space career I have in mind so I'm planning on doing it in our school's partner school. Might I also add I go to an all girls grammar at the moment and this school is an all boys grammar ahaha

It's going to be fun but worth it at the end of the day, no point in doing a not-so-optional unit in something totally irrelevant! I'm fuming that they made out we could do either within our school when quite obviously we can't.

Hope it works out for you :smile:
Reply 11
Maybe at first you'll have guys looking at you and hitting on you, but I'm sure after a few days it will all die down and it will be fine! Just be yourself, try and have a laugh and make friends with the others in your class (whilst doing your work at the same time of course :P) and focus on doing well in the subject.
Even if you don't like it at the school, its just for one less and as I'm nearing the end of year 13, trust me that A-levels go by really quickly!
Good luck :smile:
Original post by Aquar
A question: are you just lazy or do you genuinely not know that the bold and underlines words are wrong?
*you're
*you're
*they're
*who's

What's your issue? This isn't my dissertation or anything. I'm sorry if English isn't my first language. Jeez, didn't know such grammar prudes existed in the world.
Reply 13
Original post by Albino
i used to go to an all boys and we had this one girl in maths and tbh no one cared we used to have some wicked banter, but yeah you'll probably get hit on though

I don't really mind getting along with boys, I just think it will be a completely different environment though to be in. Thanks for the response. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

I am very committed to my studies already and I don't think that will change at A-Level. I reckon I'm going to be the only girl in 1600 boys though, I'm the only exception they have had in a while!
Thanks for the advice!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Aquar
A question: are you just lazy or do you genuinely not know that the bold and underlines words are wrong?
*you're
*you're
*they're
*who's

Oh it's fine don't worry! I wouldn't have noticed myself...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emma.b
I am very committed to my studies already and I don't think that will change at A-Level. I reckon I'm going to be the only girl in 1600 boys though, I'm the only exception they have had in a while!
Thanks for the advice!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So there have never been any girls take a subject in the school for a while? If that's the case- good luck!
Reply 17
Original post by Abbseh
I'm in a similar situation to you- I want to do astrophysics as my physics A2 optional unit in September. My school offers biomedical physics which is nothing to do with the space career I have in mind so I'm planning on doing it in our school's partner school. Might I also add I go to an all girls grammar at the moment and this school is an all boys grammar ahaha

It's going to be fun but worth it at the end of the day, no point in doing a not-so-optional unit in something totally irrelevant! I'm fuming that they made out we could do either within our school when quite obviously we can't.

Hope it works out for you :smile:

I would be fuming too! Our school only offers Applied Science, but the universities in Northern Ireland aren't fans of it at all and prefer straight science. My teacher and the science department have made it clear that it shouldn't affect my university options, but I know that it will as my back up career choice instead of clinical psychology would definitely be something in the Biology field!

I hope everything works out for you too, we'll be fine! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
What's your issue? This isn't my dissertation or anything. I'm sorry if English isn't my first language. Jeez, didn't know such grammar prudes existed in the world.

Nor is it mine. :tongue: I am also sure that you were aware of such "grammar prudes" existing in this world, that is, people who speak a language correctly. The fact that you say "this isn't my dissertation or anything" indicates that, were it your dissertation, you would speak with correct English. This means that you cannot use 'English not being your first language' as an excuse for your poor grammar. Don't get defensive, just take what I said as something from which to learn.
Reply 19
So there have never been any girls take a subject in the school for a while? If that's the case- good luck!

Yeah that's it, the option to go to a different school is pretty new, I think there was a girl there last year doing Mathematics A Level but she dropped out!
Oh the luck is appreciated, I'll keep my head screwed on tight!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest