The Student Room Group

TSR Book Club, April 2013: Things Fall Apart

Hey guys! I'm going to be coordinating the book club for this month, and the book we've selected for discussion this time around is Things Fall Apart by the late Chinua Achebe.

First, a little background:

Things Fall Apart was written in English by the late Nigerian author Chinua Achebe and first published to great acclaim in 1958. Since then, it has come to be be regarded as the quintessential or archetypal modern African novel and is studied in schools and universities all over Africa, Europe and North America as a milestone in both African and post-colonial literature. It has sold over ten million copies worldwide and been translated into more than fifty different languages, making it one of the most widely read novels in the world.

About the author (in brief):

Spoiler

TSR Book Club

We'll be looking to read the book over the next couple of weeks and hopefully have a good deal of discussion and analysis on it. :biggrin: If you're interested in participating, please make a post in this thread saying so!

Furthermore, as with other months, TSR will be distributing several free copies of the book - ten copies this time - to interested members. To be eligible to receive a free copy, just make a post declaring your interest below [EDIT: By the 15th of April], and you'll be included in the draw. If you don't want to be included in the draw - perhaps, like me, you already have a copy of the book and would like someone without one to get the chance to read it :colondollar: - just mention that in your post. :h: If you are selected to receive a free copy, you'll need to provide your postal address via PM.

Anyway, hope to see lots of interested people eager to talk about this! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good book - I'll pop my head in from time to time :h:

Might try and find my copy in my room at home actually :beard:
Reply 2
I'm the world's slowest reader. Am interested!
I'm interested! I just read a plot summary which really intrigued me. A great choice!
Reply 4
Definetly interested in this. Shall be great. A very pioneer and iconic book for Nigeria and Africa as a whole. It's importance can't been emphasised enough, not only did it give Africa a international voice and say their own story during the post imperial to say their own story, it was also seen as a bone fide excellent book.

I'd reccommend that you invest in the complete triology
Reply 5
Original post by Charl

It's less than 150 pages. Won't take you more than 3 days to read :tongue:

From fellow slow reader.
Reply 6
Minor update - if you want to be included in the draw to receive a free copy of the book, could you please post your interest in this thread by Monday, the 15th of April. I'd like to make sure there's enough time for substantive discussion (if there isn't we could probably overlap into the next month, but lets try and keep things efficient, eh?). :h:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Charl

It's pretty short as 419 says, and the language is pretty simple. Shouldn't take too long even for slow readers. :cute:
Reply 8
I'm interested
Reply 9
I would love to!
Brilliant book, absolutely loved studying it in AS English (though I had to get my mum to help with some of the Igbo terms, I'm such a bad Nigerian hahaha)
AHHHH!! I've wanted to read this for AGESSS but never got round to it. My mum always goes on about it, would love a copy but if I don't I will still buy a copy and take part :smile: as my mum has probably misplaced hers somewhere *rolls eyes*

Great choice of book TSR! *THUMBS UP!*
Reply 12
I want in too.

I'm Nigerian, Chinua Achebe more or less defined the generation of writers I read growing up.

I'll like to the entered into the draw for the book too, thank you.
Reply 13
Ooh, I'm interested :smile:
im interested thank you
OOH yes, I'm interested :biggrin: If I don't get a copy I'll try find it in a library somewhere. Been meaning to read this one for aaaaaages!
Reply 16
I've got this and have always meant to read it but never got round to it!!! I'll have to get reading :smile:
Reply 17
I'd be very interested it sounds a good book, I love reading always have them at he side of the bed.
I'm interested :cookie:
I'm also interested! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending