The Student Room Group

Not excited for Uni?

So I've been added to my fresher's page for Uni, and as I read through the posts of 'OMG I'M SOOOOO EXCITED!!!' I realised I am truly not. I'm not sure what it is to be honest, I'm on a gap year at the moment and I've done a lot of solo travelling so I'm not sure if it's just made me a complete anti-social idiot but I can't seem to psyche myself up like everybody else is.

So my question really is, did any-one else feel like this before they started? Did your feelings change?
Maybe you're not interested in the typical student life...?
Reply 2
Are you doing a subject that your really interested in?
Reply 3
[INDENT]Maybe you're not interested in the typical student life...?[/INDENT]

Sorry if I sound completely ignorant but what is the typical student life?

[INDENT]Are you doing a subject that your really interested in?[/INDENT]

My course does interest me, but having been out of education for awhile now I can't say I miss it!
Reply 4
I can't recall anyone being excited. After the first few weeks quite a few people were depressed, but most of them got over it. Three years pass very quickly, so I shouldn't worry too much.
Reply 5
[INDENT]I can't recall anyone being excited. After the first few weeks quite a few people were depressed, but most of them got over it. Three years pass very quickly, so I shouldn't worry too much.[/INDENT]

Really? A lot of people are on my fresher's page! This is comforting though; I guess I'll just try and embrace it!
Reply 6
I'm on a gap year and I'm the same. Not excited at all to be honest, and that's despite having a pretty boring gap year :frown:

Hopefully it improves!
When I was on my gap year, I really wasn't excited at all, as uni was either
a) too far away to get excited about
b) back in the UK, and going to uni meant leaving (solo) travelling behind and going back to cold Blighty (boo! I cried on the plane on the way home)
c) too soon - I returned to the UK 10 days before starting uni, and there was a bit of a mad rush to get everything ready, so I didn't really have time to get excited.

And honestly, now? I love my uni!
I'm really not excited either, but I think it's because I'm really afraid that I won't be good enough to succeed, and also that I won't be able to make friends :/
Scared!
Reply 9
When I was on my gap year, I really wasn't excited at all, as uni was either
a) too far away to get excited about
b) back in the UK, and going to uni meant leaving (solo) travelling behind and going back to cold Blighty (boo! I cried on the plane on the way home)
c) too soon - I returned to the UK 10 days before starting uni, and there was a bit of a mad rush to get everything ready, so I didn't really have time to get excited.

And honestly, now? I love my uni!

This is really comforting, thank-you :smile: Did you find your gap year experiences made it harder to make friends as you'd seen so much of World and experienced life pretty much solo?
Reply 10
[INDENT]I'm really not excited either, but I think it's because I'm really afraid that I won't be good enough to succeed, and also that I won't be able to make friends :/
Scared![/INDENT]

I definitely don't think you have anything to worry about when it comes to friends! My biggest worry is that I want to make genuine friends not just 'hehe haha let's all pretend we like each other because we have to' like it was at secondary school sometimes...
Reply 11
Pretty normal, don't worry. You don't need to be excited about it to enjoy it later :smile:

Original post by AyWill
Really? A lot of people are on my fresher's page! This is comforting though; I guess I'll just try and embrace it!

Possibly, but all of the people who aren't excited don't post about it - you're probably in the majority.
Original post by AyWill
This is really comforting, thank-you :smile: Did you find your gap year experiences made it harder to make friends as you'd seen so much of World and experienced life pretty much solo?

To be honest I don't think it's made any real difference - whilst I have met loads of people at uni who went travelling themselves, most of those who have become close friends didn't actually have a gap year themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I probably wouldn't be too happy to come back from a year of fun and have to graft again either. I'd want a gap life. You have reason to feel excited though, you probably have some good times ahead of you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
[INDENT]I probably wouldn't be too happy to come back from a year of fun and have to graft again either. I'd want a gap life. You have reason to feel excited though, you probably have some good times ahead of you.[/INDENT]

I sure hope so :smile:
Reply 15
I'm not excited either and I've had a pretty boring gap year :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending