The Student Room Group

When did we get into this stupid phase of fat coddling?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by apparentlyblue
What a healthy attitude! I think the part in bold really gets to the heart of the issue. I recently read an exercise psychology book which talked about the spectrum of health attitudes: there is healthy at one end and unhealthy at the other and right in the middle was 'normal'.

The point being that it is seen as abnormal to take a healthy attitude and try to improve yourself if you aren't happy. People are always trying to sabotage others' attempts to get themselves in shape probably because it reflects on their own lifestyles and what they aren't doing to improve themselves.

I think it's awful that some people scorn others for making an effort and justify it as kindness by telling an unhealthy (or unhappy) person that they're better the way they are. How many documentaries have you seen about super morbidly obese people who cannot leave their homes? There is always some partner or family member who buys and prepares their food. And I bet that person told them for years that they were beautiful as they were too.

Thank you:smile: especially because food is a huge part of our culture, and its really rude not to take second helpings/large portions. I'm trying to get into the habit of taking less and eating slower so it looks like I'm eating more. Which is insanity in itself because I shouldn't have to! I can't think of any man on my dads side of the family who doesn't have diabetes/heart problems/isn't a smoker and these people don't seem to care or want to change! And make disparaging remarks about people who are trying to change as going through fad diets. I absolutely agree, there's no need to be unkind but "real women have curves" isn't helping anybody..
Reply 101
Original post by Anime Lover
I think it's quite sad that society felt the need to change clothes sizes as a result of people being so self-conscious about their size.

Sad and ridiculous.

One day we were all one size, the next day a different size, just because they changed the labels and confused everyone.

I completely agree :smile: I'm sick of some people on here trying to defend being grossly overweight. As you said, some people are built bigger and some are built more slightly

Did you not read the other topic and news article yesterday?

Some people are just to be forever lazy, its in the genes (so scientists would have us believe).
Original post by minthumbugs
Thank you:smile: especially because food is a huge part of our culture, and its really rude not to take second helpings/large portions. I'm trying to get into the habit of taking less and eating slower so it looks like I'm eating more. Which is insanity in itself because I shouldn't have to! I can't think of any man on my dads side of the family who doesn't have diabetes/heart problems/isn't a smoker and these people don't seem to care or want to change! And make disparaging remarks about people who are trying to change as going through fad diets. I absolutely agree, there's no need to be unkind but "real women have curves" isn't helping anybody..

Yeah, around the start of y13 I went through a really bad body image patch and had a huge go at my mum for the face that all of our family things seemed to revolve around food and I hated it. Said something about comfort eating and she was like 'I didn't know you comfort ate!'
I was just like.... how do you think I ended up with this belly then? =/
Reply 103
Original post by ironandwine

I find our sizing really weird - my flatmate who I always presumed to be an 8/10 I've just found out is a 14... I would never have guessed at all. I'm still convinced she's wearing the wrong size... :dontknow:

It's like that one girl who tries to convince you she's a 34 C bra size, when her chest is like an ironing board.

But I really do think that large women (Size 14 - 16) can look quite beautiful... as long as they excercise. The extra curves can look quite flattering.

Oh wait, only me? Oh okay.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Yeah, around the start of y13 I went through a really bad body image patch and had a huge go at my mum for the face that all of our family things seemed to revolve around food and I hated it. Said something about comfort eating and she was like 'I didn't know you comfort ate!'
I was just like.... how do you think I ended up with this belly then? =/

I don't know why it has to? Either that or sitting around doing nothing. We used to have pay for a court for an hour and have an intense family badminton match every weekend. Which in my opinion was much more fun and relaxing. Plus I'd thrash my siblings:biggrin: I'm guilty of doing the same, I feel bad about my body so in turn eat more. Keep a bottle of water beside you, I'm awful for eating out of boredom.
Also, vanity size is ridiculous. I bought bras recently without trying them on and I'm usually a 34 but 2 are tight and 2 are loose. Same cup, underwired etc and from the same shop.
Original post by ufo2012
Sad and ridiculous.

One day we were all one size, the next day a different size, just because they changed the labels and confused everyone.

Did you not read the other topic and news article yesterday?

Some people are just to be forever lazy, its in the genes (so scientists would have us believe).

I haven't read that. I wouldn't say that obesity is wholly caused by laziness, and larger frames make people appear bigger even if they're not technically overweight. I suppose laziness is often genetic - my dad's quite laid back and I barely move, but I'm far from obese, and I know other people that do loads of exercise and are triple my size XD As for the sizing, that just irritates me >.<
Reply 107
Wow

Ignore that stupid comment.
Reply 108
Why can't people just be the way they want to be, and like the types of people they like without being persecuted for it.
If someone want's to lose weight they will find a way, if someone find's a curvy/chubby/fat woman attractive, then good for the both of them. Who are you to decide what people should be like and who people should like, people who think in that way are just idiotic.
I thought people might take it the wrong way, which goes back to the original problem! I'm not happy with my shape and my friends do discuss weight but I don't usually say anything at the risk of whining about how it's not my fault (it is) or they usually say I don't need to lose weight (which I do). What is more concerning is my dad has had diabetes for 20 or so years so even before I was born. I see the 10+ pills he has to take after meals and I'm painfully aware that having diabetes on both sides of the family, being overweight increases my chances of getting it. That will be goal from now and I think we need more education on it! Not to mention the drain on the NHS. Happiness is health I suppose..

If you feel like you need to lose weight then don't let anyone get in your way! :smile: I understand where you're coming from with the talking to friends thing, mine keep trying to make me gain weight when I don't feel particularly thin. It's particularly important for you to try to lose weight if necessary though, as I'd imagine you're at risk of diabetes. We definitely need more education on weight loss and healthy living though. Just do exercise, a bit more every week or so, even if it's only in your house or garden, go skipping :P Also My Fitness Pal is a real help, so you can monitor your calorie intake. In terms of food, also try to eat above your target one day and below the next so you don't plateau. Our society is just wrong though, and until they realise that we shouldn't be praising morbidly obese people for being confident in their skin, nothing will change :/
If you feel like you need to lose weight then don't let anyone get in your way! :smile: I understand where you're coming from with the talking to friends thing, mine keep trying to make me gain weight when I don't feel particularly thin. It's particularly important for you to try to lose weight if necessary though, as I'd imagine you're at risk of diabetes. We definitely need more education on weight loss and healthy living though. Just do exercise, a bit more every week or so, even if it's only in your house or garden, go skipping :P Also My Fitness Pal is a real help, so you can monitor your calorie intake. In terms of food, also try to eat above your target one day and below the next so you don't plateau. Our society is just wrong though, and until they realise that we shouldn't be praising morbidly obese people for being confident in their skin, nothing will change :/

Thank you for the motivation:smile: I use exam season as an excuse to eat unhealthily. I've been hiding Easter eggs the past week and I don't get cravings for sugary foods after a few days so I want to keep it up! It's been really getting to me recently particularly because my dad is feeling more ill than usual. I do sometimes tune out to the 5 a day stuff because its so often repeated:redface: I'm going to be the change I want to see in the world! Thanks again:smile:
Original post by kunoichi
Being obese is not the cause of PCOS.

Being obese however can worsen the symptoms quite severly

The larger you get with pcos the harder it becomes to lose weight.

So surely these people would be fat without the PCOS due to their diet? Can PCOS actually blamed, even if it makes losing the weight harder?
Original post by RachaelBee
So surely these people would be fat without the PCOS due to their diet? Can PCOS actually blamed, even if it makes losing the weight harder?

Pcos isnt actually about the cysts (just a symptom) it is about insulin resistance which causes difficulties with diet.
There is no known cause of pcos.

It is very unlikely to be weight though,some people, like myself, when diagnosed were a size 8.
The larger you get, the worse the insulin stuff gets and the harder it becomes to lose weight.

As for diet, there are plenty of obese pcos ladies who eat incredibly healthy and still struggle. I know someone put on a medically approved diet of 500 cals a day and still struggled with the weight loss.
People i know with pcos tend to be some of the healthiest eaters ive ever met, regardless of size.

I struggle to explain a lot about it, as i find it a very confusing and difficult syndrome to understand.
If you are genuinely interested in finding out more - the soulcysters website is a good place to look.
When women say they would rather be fat than skinny or 'slim' they are lying. Would you really want to be fat and sweaty, preferring to eat a bag of crisps than be presentable, fit and healthy?

As for Marilyn Monroe being like the other curvy women out there then honestly that is ridiculous. Just because you have boobs and a bum it does not make you Marilyn Monroe. She is a style icon within her own right and was unbelievably glamorous as well as a stunning woman.

So all those women who sit there flicking through the likes of ok magazine thinking that it doesn't matter that you might be 2 stone overweight, because Marilyn Monroe wasn't totally stitch thin please realise that you don't have to compare your self to others to make yourself feel better, because only you can do that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hate fat people.
I think it's quite sad that society felt the need to change clothes sizes as a result of people being so self-conscious about their size. River Island really annoys me... I have size 6 clothes from there that drop off me, and I'm definitely not a 6. People should just accept their image and accept the images of others. Neither skinny nor curvy are better than the other, they're just different. As long as people aren't obese or dangerously thin, they should be worried. I just wish I could feel this way but so many of us want to look like something that is unattainable :/

I agree with this. At the moment I'm wearing a size 6 t shirt from Primark, and I'm slim but not skinny by any means. I actually have to wonder how really thin girls (not underweight even, as I'm at the higher end of healthy BMI) manage to find clothes to fit in the UK! If you go to America there seems to be a lot more range on the lower and the upper sizes, but in the UK I honestly believe that if you're super thin you'd really struggle to find clothes to fit!!

Original post by Americandream
When women say they would rather be fat than skinny or 'slim' they are lying. Would you really want to be fat and sweaty, preferring to eat a bag of crisps than be presentable, fit and healthy?

I always think this, too. I see women sharing photos on Facebook (various fat'spo stuff) saying they'd rather be happy than thin, and then I go clothes shopping with these women and you can see them getting SO down because they can't wear what they'd like to. I have a friend who has serious health issues which she will NOT accept are weight related (even though she stopped fitting into high street clothes a long time ago) and whenever I offer to help her lose weight she's very rude to me and spouts the "I'd rather have a personality" thing. Unless her personality is held in her fat cells, I don't think she'd lose it just because she lost weight!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I agree with this. At the moment I'm wearing a size 6 t shirt from Primark, and I'm slim but not skinny by any means. I actually have to wonder how really thin girls (not underweight even, as I'm at the higher end of healthy BMI) manage to find clothes to fit in the UK! If you go to America there seems to be a lot more range on the lower and the upper sizes, but in the UK I honestly believe that if you're super thin you'd really struggle to find clothes to fit!!

Yeah it's so stupid, all of this has been caused because some shops target teenage girls that want to feel thinner than they actually are, and by making each size 1-2 sizes bigger than what it actually should be, shops are gaining more customers than they're losing. There's something seriously wrong when I'm too small to fit in a size 6... I'd say they're more like size 12s.
Original post by Americandream

As for Marilyn Monroe being like the other curvy women out there then honestly that is ridiculous. Just because you have boobs and a bum it does not make you Marilyn Monroe. She is a style icon within her own right and was unbelievably glamorous as well as a stunning woman.

So all those women who sit there flicking through the likes of ok magazine thinking that it doesn't matter that you might be 2 stone overweight, because Marilyn Monroe wasn't totally stitch thin please realise that you don't have to compare your self to others to make yourself feel better, because only you can do that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Marilyn Monroe was actually quite slim, she just had a more defined shape. Very few people have the same figure as her, so I don't see why people that are fatter try to claim that they have hourglass figures... If people are overweight they should consider losing weight and acknowledge that they might not be very healthy, and no one should try to compare their appearance to other people that realistically look nothing like them.
Marilyn Monroe was actually quite slim, she just had a more defined shape. Very few people have the same figure as her, so I don't see why people that are fatter try to claim that they have hourglass figures... If people are overweight they should consider losing weight and acknowledge that they might not be very healthy, and no one should try to compare their appearance to other people that realistically look nothing like them.

I'm larger than I could be and I'm pretty hourglass. My vital stats are something like 40-32-43 which has all the hallmarks of hourglass.
Just as someone with a 32-24-32 set of vital statistics is curvy.
[video="youtube;ztGaSJCVqKU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztGaSJCVqKU[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending