The Student Room Group

simple m1 question (short)

when using deceleration in a Suvat formula do we automatically use a minus sign in it when plugging it into a formula?

eg: s: 200 u:20 v:? a: 1.5m/s ( decelerating, do I put minus infront before using formula?)

cheers :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by upthegunners
when using deceleration in a Suvat formula do we automatically use a minus sign in it when plugging it into a formula?

eg: s: 200 u:20 v:? a: 1.5m/s ( decelerating, do I put minus infront before using formula?)

depends on the +ve direction chosen

v2=u2+2asv^2 = u^2 + 2as

v20v^2 \geq 0
Reply 3
Original post by TenOfThem
depends on the +ve direction chosen

fuik.png
its that question, it's only 2 marks but using the values I have stated (without taking the minus of the acceleration) I got 30.1m/s which is impossible as he is decelerating from 20m/s..
Reply 4

when choosing right as the positive direction, I would use the formula normally, and yeah you would use -1.5 for a
Reply 5
fuik.png
its that question, it's only 2 marks but using the values I have stated (without taking the minus of the acceleration) I got 30.1m/s which is impossible as he is decelerating from 20m/s..

In that case -ve as you will be looking at +ve t
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem
In that case -ve as you will be looking at +ve t

what do you mean? :colondollar:
Reply 7
what do you mean? :colondollar:

Sorry, complete lack of clarity in my previous response

Graph questions (and horizontal motion generally) just has +ve "to the right" or in the direction of +ve time

When I mentioned +ve direction I was really referring to vertical questions

Quick Reply

Latest