The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2500
Original post by Tommyjw
Marca saying a payment/offer has been made from us for Falcao.

I enjoy such rumours with little sense.

Image the line-up... :drool:
Strange Marca are usually on the money with Madrid, although usually Real.
I'd love to see someone signed who actually shoots, you know?

I think there's a growing sense of frustration around Old Trafford that we don't have many players who are willing to just hit it with power, particularly in the central midfield area. Maybe it's harder than it looks, maybe that's why we held on to Gibson for so long despite him obviously not being good enough.
Reply 2503
Original post by mindgames7

I think there's a growing sense of frustration around Old Trafford that we don't have many players who are willing to just hit it with power, particularly in the central midfield area. Maybe it's harder than it looks, maybe that's why we held on to Gibson for so long despite him obviously not being good enough.

This probably explains why we bought Nick Powell then

Original post by rickjames
Hazard would have still been played straight on the wings and fits the bill as a dynamic winger if needs be (not saying its his best position, but thats blatently where SAF was planning to place him, and probably why he went to Chelsea amongst other reasons).

Someone mentioned, I think it was you, how the world lacks dynamic wingers in general. Ribery and Robben are a bit old now, and the top wingers of the world of the new generation are more inside forwards (Kagawa, Isco, Hazard, Bale, etc). I don't see SAF changing his policy of traditional wing play - cant help but worry about it stunting Kagawa in particular.

Yeah, it was me. Hazard could work in that position.

Well bale is a special case. We can see that he's good at the inside forward role but he can also play on the wings and be effective, I'll put him as the class of wingers like ronaldo, ribery, di maria robben who take on men, get crosses in the wings but can also get involved in interplay so a mix.

Tbh I think united would have been fine this season with just buying kagawa or just buying RVP. After the first 5 games I was wondering how kagawa, rooney and van persie would fit. I didn't see kagawa in a CM role either just didn't fit the bill I think.

Speaking of that point, I think it's partially down to football now trying to play more fluid styles of play, where players change position constantly to confuse defenders, which inside forwards love to do in comparison to someone like valencia. It's why bale has improved massively due to changing his game to a free role. Basically copying barcelona.
Reply 2505
I don't think a failure to shoot is a significant problem. RVP drops deep and takes long shots, Nani when he plays loves to drift inside and shoot from the edge of the box, Young too when he's playing well, Cleverley likes his first time effort as it comes back from the box (even if he's not very good at it). Rooney should be in that list but he rarely shoots from range, and when he does he doesn't put his foot through it enough, looks for the pass and then the placed shot or even lob before just smashing it.

The issue with the midfield is fairly obvious and others have said it...unless the pairing is Carrick and Cleverley then it's pretty unreliable. A player in the mould of Dembele should be the biggest priority.
Original post by Tommyjw
Marca saying a payment/offer has been made from us for Falcao.

I enjoy such rumours with little sense.

Unlikely to be legit, but if so, why does Sir Alex seem to have a fetish for strikers?

We've needed a midfielder for about 5 years and still haven't bought anybody. We get outclassed in midfield all the time. I can't understand why a midfielder isn't the top priority. I'd love to ask Sir Alex why.
Reply 2507
Original post by NathanW18
Unlikely to be legit, but if so, why does Sir Alex seem to have a fetish for strikers?

We've needed a midfielder for about 5 years and still haven't bought anybody. We get outclassed in midfield all the time. I can't understand why a midfielder isn't the top priority. I'd love to ask Sir Alex why.

SAF was a striker when he played maybe that's why
Reply 2508
Falcao rumours are bull, unless Rooney is leaving I don't see any reason why we would need Falcao. Interestingly Marca are quite accurate for the Madrid teams and doesn't say we're interested but the fact that we have put an initial payment and Hernandez isn't involved. Maybe Marca want to divert attention from Real to Athletico after there recent loss, but who would you prefer Rooney or Falcao, personally now Rooney though Falcao is the better player Rooney is more versatile but considering Rooney's fitness lately and his lifestyle, in 2-3 years Falcao is likely to be the better player.
If Rooney does go (which I'm not 100% sure about) then would Falcao be an adequate replacement? I certainly wouldn't say no.

But Marca do seem to have stories regarding Real especially on lockdown, considering their news coming from the hierarchy at the Bernabeu and I can only imagine they must have a similiar sort of relationship with Atletico unless there is a deep sense of antipathy towards them for their close links to Real.

Our midfield is the area for concern but if Rooney goes, then a striker would be needed and it seemed that Lewandowski was the one we were keeping an eye on but Falcao would be great if Rooney does leave.
Rooney's not going anywhere.

In other news, if Borussia Dortmund win the Champions League, do you think it could dent Kagawa's confidence? Moments like yesterday make you feel as if it may be their year. Then again, after Van Persie scored the equaliser against West Ham, I thought we would be ruthless in the FA Cup from then on.
Do BBC readers hate United? This is the 5th top comment on the Juve vs Bayern article:

After man utd's last few performances I'd say the only standard to go down is man utd's and long may it continue, Real Madrid, Chelsea, City have shown that man utd are an average team when it comes to playing the big boys.

The team 12 points clear is average while the teams behind them are "the big boys"? :lol:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2512
Original post by mindgames7

I hate potshots from outside the box. Nine out of ten times they go flying into row Z, ending the pressure the team was putting on. Your average fan that shouts "shoot" whenever a player has a bit of space within 40 yards might miss that, but not me.

Original post by beepidybeep
The team 12 points clear is average while the teams behind them are "the big boys"? :lol:

Well we did just put in very mediocre showings against Chelsea and City, and against Madrid we just defended all game in both legs. In one off matches against those three, Dortmund, Barca and Bayern, I wouldn't fancy our chances. Chelsea and City are the weakest of the aforementioned and our XI isn't on their level. However, I would say our squad is better than those two, and Dortmund's.
Original post by xDave-

Well we did just put in very mediocre showings against Chelsea and City, and against Madrid we just defended all game in both legs. In one off matches against those three, Dortmund, Barca and Bayern, I wouldn't fancy our chances. Chelsea and City are the weakest of the aforementioned and our XI isn't on their level. However, I would say our squad is better than those two, and Dortmund's.

Yeah but the mediocre showings in the last 2 games were only a result of our arguably unlucky defeat against Real, it really seemed to affect the team. We beat them both earlier in the season.
Reply 2514

Yeah but the mediocre showings in the last 2 games were only a result of our arguably unlucky defeat against Real, it really seemed to affect the team. We beat them both earlier in the season.

We put in a great performance versus City, yeah, I remember that one well. 2-0 up and we were bossing it, but then we had a wrongly disallowed goal and City came back into it. We won it at the end, but it was somewhat fortunate; perhaps deserved fortune because of the offside goal.

Chelsea I remember less well... I know they got two red cards and we scored an offside goal to win it, so it doesn't sound like we bossed them from that.

So it's not exactly like we can say we were dominating our title rivals. As I said, the 12 point gap isn't a reflection of our best XI's, it's our our squads.
Reply 2515
I'm surprised man city can't cope in the CL there team on paper us very good but it doesn't work at times

It's like witnessing fifa ultimate team good players 0 chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xDave-
We put in a great performance versus City, yeah, I remember that one well. 2-0 up and we were bossing it, but then we had a wrongly disallowed goal and City came back into it. We won it at the end, but it was somewhat fortunate; perhaps deserved fortune because of the offside goal.

Chelsea I remember less well... I know they got two red cards and we scored an offside goal to win it, so it doesn't sound like we bossed them from that.

So it's not exactly like we can say we were dominating our title rivals. As I said, the 12 point gap isn't a reflection of our best XI's, it's our our squads.

I don't remember he Chelsea game well either, but I looked at the match report. One of the red cards was for Ivanovic fouling Young when he was clean through at 2-2, so it was goal or red card. Anyway the point is we've won one lost one against each of those, and until an unfair red card we were holding our own against Real and were winning and the better team.
So it seems unfair to say we wouldnt have much chance against Dortmund, Barca and Bayern. Especially Dortmund, they're being overrated by loads of people.
I don't remember he Chelsea game well either, but I looked at the match report. One of the red cards was for Ivanovic fouling Young when he was clean through at 2-2, so it was goal or red card. Anyway the point is we've won one lost one against each of those, and until an unfair red card we were holding our own against Real and were winning and the better team.
So it seems unfair to say we wouldnt have much chance against Dortmund, Barca and Bayern. Especially Dortmund, they're being overrated by loads of people.

You'd beat dortmund, barely lose to barca and bayern on away goals/one goal. I think you have that defence to handle their attacks and at worst you'll just play jones in CM to mark messi/ribery and do that ultra defensive stuff you've been doing in all the big games to keep the score down.

What happened in the chelsea game-we kept the ball, you guys then hit us on two dirty counters with valencia getting past cole and firing crosses to RVP in ten mins. We were playing with no width and slow tempo then while you guys dropped deep. Eventually mata started finding space and he scored that freekick. We then start dominating and it got to 2-2. You guys started getting back into the game after this point but it was 50-50 until the sending off. Even then it was still 50-50. It was only when hernandez came on and torres was sent off that you started dominating but that's expected. You wouldn't have beaten us when we had 10 I think but as soon as it went to 9 men the game was over obviously.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Rooney's not going anywhere.

In other news, if Borussia Dortmund win the Champions League, do you think it could dent Kagawa's confidence? Moments like yesterday make you feel as if it may be their year. Then again, after Van Persie scored the equaliser against West Ham, I thought we would be ruthless in the FA Cup from then on.

Yesterday reminded me of the CL final :lol: haven't seen steals like that since 99 CL final and 2012.

I don't think kagawa is a poor player. He's clearly playing out of position and once he plays in position he will flourish. I think that if you want to get the best out of kagawa you'll have to rotate a little, since the title's almost wrapped up he should get some games in his preferred position against dead rubber teams. Or even try him in a big match e.g. vs chelsea at OT since you'll have the league by then.
Original post by jam277
You'd beat dortmund, barely lose to barca and bayern on away goals/one goal. I think you have that defence to handle their attacks and at worst you'll just play jones in CM to mark messi/ribery and do that ultra defensive stuff you've been doing in all the big games to keep the score down.

What happened in the chelsea game-we kept the ball, you guys then hit us on two dirty counters with valencia getting past cole and firing crosses to RVP in ten mins. We were playing with no width and slow tempo then while you guys dropped deep. Eventually mata started finding space and he scored that freekick. We then start dominating and it got to 2-2. You guys started getting back into the game after this point but it was 50-50 until the sending off. Even then it was still 50-50. It was only when hernandez came on and torres was sent off that you started dominating but that's expected. You wouldn't have beaten us when we had 10 I think but as soon as it went to 9 men the game was over obviously.

Yeah you're right, we'd probably lose to them by about that, its just annoying how people immediately write us off without much reason.
How do you remember it in such detail!? did you just watch the highlights?

Latest