The Student Room Group

Girls who cross the road to avoid parked cars!

Please keep anon or delete as I know a couple of peeps on here and this is quite a strange topic!

Anyway I have noticed for a while when driving late that whenever I park up and a girl is on that side of the road, she crosses the road :rolleyes: It has happened several times.

I asked my gf is it some sort of safety talk they get and she laughed?! I thought she would know being as it's white girls who always do this.

Honestly I think it's because I am Asian and maybe a lot of Asian guys pull their window down and chat ****?

Once it happened I was with my gf. We got out of my car and because I was with her, I could tell the other girl felt stupid.

My car is not tinted or modded too. :rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

Lol I hate to say it, but yeah it probably is because you're Asian. I personally find this behaviour stupid, don't let it bother you.
Reply 2
Hmm, during the day I wouldn't think anything of a car parking next to me, it's just someone parking. But if it happened at night I might be a bit more wary and cross the road just incase, but then I'm a bit paranoid :tongue:

Edit: I should add, this is nothing to do with race, I'd do the same no matter who was in the car.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Maybe it's just you.
Reply 4
How can they tell your skin colour if you're in the car when you park and it's late? I think you're very paranoid if you jump to the conclusion that it's your skin colour - have you asked non-Asian male friends who drive similar cars if the same happens to them?
Reply 5
I do it if im walking down a road late at night with no one else around, if there's just a random car parked there with someone in it it's just safer. Especialy atm because in my area there has been a few incidents of people attempting to drag women into cars.

Also why would it be because your asian? You cant tell the skin colour and sometimes not even the gender in the dark.
Reply 6
If I was on an isolated street on my own and someone stopped to park their car near me, I'd cross to the other side of the road, just so I felt safer. It wouldn't matter who was in the car, I would just do it anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by TheBitchOf96
Lol I hate to say it, but yeah it probably is because you're Asian. I personally find this behaviour stupid, don't let it bother you.

I am not one to get annoyed easily but this does **** me off. It's because the area is harmless and has low crime. So I don't see what is the point. I kept thinking initially that maybe they had a previous bad experience? But then it happened quite a few times so they can't all have had a bad experience!
Reply 8
If it's late and/or in an abandoned area, I probably will. It's not something I even think about.

The safety precautions girls take are unnecessary 99% of the time, and sometimes seem ridiculous. But the offset that something can happen, still makes it worth it. It's just the way you have to think as a woman - these things are built in. And it has nothing to do with your race, we can't see the driver anyway. You just have to stop being butthurt by these things and accept that women's mindset is different for their own sake and it really has no negative impact on you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Harley
Hmm, during the day I wouldn't think anything of a car parking next to me, it's just someone parking. But if it happened at night I might be a bit more wary and cross the road just incase, but then I'm a bit paranoid :tongue:

Thing is it's not near them at night. That might be a little more understanding. It's at least 5-6 cars away, they can probably just see me in the car.
Reply 10
Original post by rlw31
Maybe it's just you.

I spoke to a couple of my black and Asian mates and they totally got it.

So no it's just not me. I also am a high achiever and in my final year and don't dress/act in a threatening manner.

In real life I have many female friends of all races. In fact my gf is white. I just don't get it.
Reply 11
Original post by Hopple
How can they tell your skin colour if you're in the car when you park and it's late? I think you're very paranoid if you jump to the conclusion that it's your skin colour - have you asked non-Asian male friends who drive similar cars if the same happens to them?

I think asking a white guy would probably make them laugh. I don't think it happens to them.

I think they can make my colour out easily. I am pale with dark hair.

All I can think of is that there have been some incidences in the area so girls (students or otherwise) are more aware or something.
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
I am not one to get annoyed easily but this does **** me off. It's because the area is harmless and has low crime. So I don't see what is the point. I kept thinking initially that maybe they had a previous bad experience? But then it happened quite a few times so they can't all have had a bad experience!

Getting pissed off because girls are thinking of their safety? Low crime isnt no crime and they have every right to cross the road for whatever reason. Maybe it has nothing to do with you? Especially if you are 6 cars away, how are you supposed to see who's in a car from that far away at night? Stop taking it so personally is what i would do.

Isnt that what guys on here nag us to do all the time? Look after ourselves? Then you get pissed off at the girls who do try and look after themselves?
Decide what you ****ing want the lot of you.
Reply 13
I think asking a white guy would probably make them laugh. I don't think it happens to them.

I think they can make my colour out easily. I am pale with dark hair.

All I can think of is that there have been some incidences in the area so girls (students or otherwise) are more aware or something.

There's no way they can make out your skin colour when it's dark, unless you're saying they cross the road maybe 1 car length away from your car. As for you saying you're pale with dark hair, they're definitely not going to see your hair colour, and could well mistake you for white.

My guess is, if they are crossing the road because of your car, it's because they're wary of a stranger's car stopping close to them, which isn't unreasonable.
Reply 14
Original post by kunoichi
Getting pissed off because girls are thinking of their safety? Low crime isnt no crime and they have every right to cross the road for whatever reason. Maybe it has nothing to do with you? Especially if you are 6 cars away, how are you supposed to see who's in a car from that far away at night? Stop taking it so personally is what i would do.

Isnt that what guys on here nag us to do all the time? Look after ourselves? Then you get pissed off at the girls who do try and look after themselves?

would like to emphasise this
Reply 15
Original post by kunoichi

Well I am pretty sure I would know if a girl had been dragged into a car in this area. It would make the news :smile:

There is nothing wrong with necessary precaution. But I am putting myself in their shoes. Would I cross the road in this situation? No way! It shows unwarranted fear. Ironic thing is these are probably the same girls getting pissed at night with friends and sleeping around. I know quite a few like that.

Not saying anything wrong with sleeping around. Just saying, very ironic how they take safety here yet will take a random guy back after a night out :tongue:
Reply 16
I spoke to a couple of my black and Asian mates and they totally got it.

So no it's just not me. I also am a high achiever and in my final year and don't dress/act in a threatening manner.

In real life I have many female friends of all races. In fact my gf is white. I just don't get it.

Hmm, yeah, definitely you.
Reply 17

Perhaps run after these women crossing the road shouting that? They don't know otherwise, so no wonder they would cross the road in the same way as if you were a convicted rapist.
Reply 18
Original post by rlw31
Hmm, yeah, definitely you.

Have some understanding of these girls. Not all of them lift heavy like you, you're pretty much a man :wink:
Reply 19
Well I am pretty sure I would know if a girl had been dragged into a car in this area. It would make the news :smile:

There is nothing wrong with necessary precaution. But I am putting myself in their shoes. Would I cross the road in this situation? No way! It shows unwarranted fear. Ironic thing is these are probably the same girls getting pissed at night with friends and sleeping around. I know quite a few like that.

Not saying anything wrong with sleeping around. Just saying, very ironic how they take safety here yet will take a random guy back after a night out :tongue:

They can take safety however they wish, they choose to have sex with the guys they take home (if indeed they do, you CANNOT tell that by looking at them and if you want them to stop judging you without knowing you maybe you should consider doing the same!) they do not choose to be dragged into a car and raped and which cars have the bad people in them.

You wouldnt cross the road? Thats fine, you are a guy, you havent been brought up to think of the possibility someone may try to rape you, may try to drag you into it. Girls are taught differently, taught to try to avoid it in the first place rather than be the big man who refuses to show fear and by doing so is more likely to get into a nasty situation.

Let others who think differently to you just get on with what makes them happy, it isnt really doing you any harm is it?

A girl shouldnt have to feel unsafe because youre getting unnecessarily upset over someone crossing the road.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending